The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The SNP have been cleaver with the dates as national pride will be at its highest and should give them a bit of edge. Though make no mistake the union is not going to give this up without a fight as the rest of the UK has too much to lose with a separate Scotland as their import export figures will widen further which will hit payments on national debt which will hit the tax payer and workers further in the rest of the UK.

Cameron did a live TV debate with Mrs Brown and Mr Pledge yet knocked back one with Salmond, why what has he got to fear if the case for staying with the union is so strong. This is where the SNP are not doing a good job so far selling independence. Then again maybe it’s a tactic up there sleeve for the final push , timing is everything. It’s going to be a very interesting run in no matter what way you want to vote. Give us independence then we can decide who should lead a Scotland to its own birth right. There are a lot of scared people who don’t think we can stand on our own two feet to build a Scottish future. They missed the boat last time round if we had voted yes we would have today one of the richest countries in Europe like Norway due to its Northsea Oil a golden opportunity missed lets not make it a second time. Lastly we are not some wee state somewhere in Russia given independence that has been forgotten with time. We have a world identity a very strong one that can be built on.

I said I wouldn't get involved in this debate but I would just like to thank the good people of Dunfermline for burying the facile irrelevancy that is the Referendum. Just chuck it and save the money. It's a foregone conclusion.

The people usually vote against the incumbent party at by-elections , so l'd say Dungvermin was an irrelevancy. .

So why not vote for something other than what we already have? (which is getting worse BTW)

Or are you really suggesting we should vote to keep things the way they are because it may be shite but it's shite we know?

If that's not the definition of fear then I don't know what is.

Hmm, that's what the Natsis keep coming up with. Unable to prove Scots would be better off, unable to prove that it would be sustainable, unable to prove Scotland could afford to run existing services without raising taxes - they resort to making clucking noises at those who won't vote for change. Yet they claim it's those who would stay in the union who are running a negative campaign. It's truly pathetic!

certainly was............a 42% turnout. Shine a light ffsake. That level of apathy should make any result null and void

That's what losers always say. Would you expect them to say 'Well, that's us f***ed'? This close to to the Referendum, the apathy shown by SNP supporters must have frightened the brown stuff out of Salmon.

Has Salmond saved Grangemouth.

Has it been underwritten by UK Government

Watch the clamour for the brownie points and credit begin

In fairness, Salmond's comments seem reasonable and balanced (at least in terms of this quote):

" First Minister Alex Salmond described the announcement as a 'tremendous fillip for the workforce and the whole Grangemouth community, following what could have been a potential disaster'.

He said it had been 'a great team effort from all concerned, including the unions and workforce, the management and governments.' "

That's what losers always say. Would you expect them to say 'Well, that's us f***ed'? This close to to the Referendum, the apathy shown by SNP supporters must have frightened the brown stuff out of Salmon.

Losers, winners, Dunfermline, who cares. Point is turnout was mentioned more as a generalisation. It seriously irks me that generally turnout is considered pretty decent when you get above 50%. Personally I think there should be a mandatory reqt that constituents in this case and voters generally should all vote. Even by making the effort to turn up and rubbish your ballot paper has got to be better than not even turning out ............then endlessly complaining about getting a rep you didn't vote for.

Did I say I hate low turnouts................how can they be a representation............42% ffsake thumbdown.gif its pathetic

In fairness, Salmond's comments seem reasonable and balanced (at least in terms of this quote):

" First Minister Alex Salmond described the announcement as a 'tremendous fillip for the workforce and the whole Grangemouth community, following what could have been a potential disaster'.

He said it had been 'a great team effort from all concerned, including the unions and workforce, the management and governments.' "

or, measured and expressed statesmanship ...............whistling.gif

Politicians of whatever persuasion will always play a hand, it's what they do, some so much beter than others. Before I retired to my bed last night feeling somewhat queasy I couldn't help but cringe at the tw0 female politicos having a shameless bitchfest with each other to the detriment of everyone in attendance, and no doubt viewers alike, It was cringeworthy

I said I wouldn't get involved in this debate but I would just like to thank the good people of Dunfermline for burying the facile irrelevancy that is the Referendum. Just chuck it and save the money. It's a foregone conclusion.

That was less to do with independence and everything to do with replacing a wife beating bastard and the party he was attached to.

You might be right though. It could have been independence.

I just don't think so. Nobody cares about independence yet.

It's nowhere near referendum day. It's over a year away. What are you talking about?

42% is a decent turnout for a by election and I think it was fuelled by the previous incumbent's behaviour.

I think that Oaksoft and Dicksoft should enter politics.

Seriously I do.

I think that their talents for debate are wasted on this site. Especially as Dicksoft doesn't admit to supporting St Mirren. But we all know he does care really.

Perhaps we should hold a BAWA Independence Election Debate to match the real one, and we could get a few candidates up for election with pledges going towards a local charity.

Could be good to read some manifestos for future of this fine nation of ours.

Then again.....maybe not.

There are some great people out there in Scotland - sadly very few of them are in politics.

Most in politics I'd not even trust to walk my dog, never mind run our country.

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss or not but actually the idea of a fake election for charity might be pretty good fun if done properly.

It would be far more entertaining and interesting than the actual independence vote.

It's nowhere near referendum day. It's over a year away. What are you talking about?

42% is a decent turnout for a by election and I think it was fuelled by the previous incumbent's behaviour.

And here's me thinking it was next September's. But I bow to you, with your massive intellect, who is never wrong.

The poll on this thread is 2:1 in favour. And this despite Project Fear and it's many proselytizers on here.

Obviously it's not a particularly scientific poll but it goes to show that it depends who you ask.

That's two polls on this forum where the YES vote has been at least 2:1.

I think that the NO vote will still win the day but as we get closer to the date (probably with a couple of weeks to go), people will waken up to this and realise this could be a new dawn for us.

It's inconceivable that the ratio will remain 2:1 for a NO vote.

It'll be much closer than that.

Just like the last Holyrood election where the SNP were struggling right up until election day.

I can't remember what happened next......

Mind you, it's also inconceivable that when push comes to shove Scots will vote to continue being ruled by Tories.

So, I;ve no idea how this is going to go....

Edited by oaksoft

Hmm, that's what the Natsis keep coming up with. Unable to prove Scots would be better off, unable to prove that it would be sustainable, unable to prove Scotland could afford to run existing services without raising taxes - they resort to making clucking noises at those who won't vote for change. Yet they claim it's those who would stay in the union who are running a negative campaign. It's truly pathetic!

I really wish you would stop using that word. Comparing the SNP to one of the most evil tyrannies in history does your argument no good at all.

I really wish you would stop using that word. Comparing the SNP to one of the most evil tyrannies in history does your argument no good at all.

Neither does describing those that would vote for the Union as 'scared' or that the whole campaign is based on 'fear'.

Not voting for change due to a complete lack of tangible evidence (yet - hopefully evidence will come through the closer we get) as opposed to speculation that things will be better in the long term, is NOT the same thing as 'fear'.

Each side are as bad as each other on the political front when it comes to 'buzz words' and spin, neither worse and neither better. Thankfully I can see through most of the bullsh*t.