Adam Campbell

pod

Carey is actually a left sided midfielder and the guy who really replaced him on the left was Goncalves. I don't really believe that anyone can argue that Carey would have done a better job than Goncalves or Dummett. He's just not in the same league.

It's rare on here you see someone realise that Isma rarely played as a striker for us. I guess having another striker (has Bahoken done much of anything so far?!) would give us the option of 4-4-2, but the way we play, by default, does not allow for that. If anything, 4-4-2 would shunt out Gowser, and we've all seen what happens when he's played out of position/not played.

That's because most folk don't know what they are watching.

Except Isma wasn't a like-for-like swap with Carey, he might have been left sided but he was certainly a striker - his presence and movement up-front created space for McGowan in particular, took pressure off Newton in the defensive midfield role and made us a more balanced team.

Thompson and the current goal light support (McLean is the only one I reckon might score 5 SPL goals excluding penalties) will never have us much above our current position - scrapping for 10th place.

Hopefully if Campbell comes in January he can provide the pace supplied by Hasselbaink (when on form cool.png ) and Isma - and replicate our best spells under DL's tenure.

Edited by Bud the Baker

How often did you shout that within hearing distance of Billy Bremner?

Wouldn't dare....On the same theme of wee guys, one of the best players I ever saw who did not play as often as he should have, because the Boss (Jim McLean) said he was too wee was Graeme Payne from Dundee Utd. Fantastic player. Their loss IMHO.

Edited by thomsons dropped it

Except Isma wasn't a like-for-like swap with Carey, he might have been left sided but he was certainly a striker - his presence and movement up-front created space for McGowan in particular, took pressure off Newton in the defensive midfield role and made us a more balanced team.

I didn't say that Isma was "like for like".

However, the fact is that Isma did NOT play as a striker for St. Mirren. He played on the left side of midfield, a position that Carey played in quite often.

Isma's style of play and how it benefited others is irrelevant to the point - he was NOT used as a striker by St. Mirren!

The vast majority of punters don't know what they are watching. I didn't think you would be in that bracket! :P

However, the fact is that Isma did NOT play as a striker for St. Mirren. He played on the left side of midfield, a position that Carey played in quite often.

Isma's style of play and how it benefited others is irrelevant to the point - he was NOT used as a striker by St. Mirren!

The vast majority of punters don't know what they are watching. I didn't think you would be in that bracket! tongue.png

I don't remember him being overburdened by defensive duties or starting many moves in his own half like McGowan did last week - if he wasn't a striker then what was he?

When we're playing badly McGowan has a tendency to drop deep (although perhaps this is a chicken and egg situation unsure.png ) making risky plays in dangerous positions and leaving Thompson isolated up-front - perhaps we need to start a discussion on whether our management teams' communication with the players during a match is sufficient. tongue.png

However we remember Isma's role with us there is no doubt he was always there or thereabouts when we were attacking.

Edited by Bud the Baker

The vast majority of punters don't know what they are watching. I didn't think you would be in that bracket! tongue.png

That would be except the second half against St Johnstone in the cup when he scored two or Easter road when he scored