Additions Needed Now - Experience Preferred

Every defence in the Premiership, aside from Celtic, are prone to individual errors. But, not all have Goodwin in front of them or playing at the very heart of it. We get crowds under 4,000 and have a manager who did nothing in the game, fighting relegation is where we are. It's what we can afford and where the knowledge on the sidelines will take us.

Watch Scottish football and forget about England down to League Two, the Bundesliga etc and you'll see there's really no difference across the league. McPake is prone to errors, Gunning, Wilson and all other defenders in the league are. I doubt the clubs f**k around as much just in front, which we haven't seen from McGinn, and maybe the ball sticks better up top.

Perhaps, just perhaps, at some point we'll look at the goals for column, the inability to convert, playing players out of position, having no real width, being shite at set pieces and an inability to get crosses in..oh and ST playing the Mehmet role instead of staying central. It can't all be McAusland's fault.

Most decent teams build from the back. I'm not looking for a Franz Beckenbauer or John Terry and I also don't really see what quoting other teams fcuk up's really quantifies our situation.

The manager can do everything he can between games but when players consistently make individual errors, and I'm certainly not blaming McAusland on his own here, or make other basic errors the usual result is a goal lost.

We, seemingly have a great goalkeeper, a superb midfield and Thompson up front. The consistent blame aimed at the manager when players fail to carry out the basics like control or passing the ball gets lost in personal vendettas and ego trips from forum users.

I was at Aberdeen a few weeks ago and it seemed to me we are an average team, like many others, with no real options to improve what's put on the park at the start of the game.

Yes, tactics, yawn, and players in or out of position are quoted but the fact is the players underachieve on a regular basis.

The other "stick" used to beat the manager about failed signings is a bit weak as the funds available are next to nothing and the majority of these "failures" cost next to nothing which would usually produce next to nothing anyway. The list of teams who have signings who have failed to produce makes interesting reading as MOST teams, including Celtic, have a list of failures.

We are what we are, IMO, a mediocre team who are short of 3 or 4 experienced and consistent players.

Edited by faraway saint

Yesterday was another example of individual errors costing us dearly and when those errors come from our "experienced" players (Grainger) then we've got real problems. The amount of times we allowed a player to run off unmarked from a simple give and go was depressing. We looked like a team of boys yesterday and, with results elsewhere going against us recently, are right back in the mix for 2nd bottom.

I don't expect us to be challenging for Europe or even the top six every season but now and again would be nice. This depressingly familiar shit of fighting relegation cannot be accepted each and every season and we need to find a solution. I don't think our current manager knows what is required and, if we manage to stay safe this year, he shouldn't have his contract renewed IMO.

Experienced players are one thing. A manager who has a clue is more desirable at the moment whilst we have a pretty decent squad that is not close to living up to what we have every right to expect from them.

Most decent teams build from the back. I'm not looking for a Franz Beckenbauer or John Terry and I also don't really see what quoting other teams fcuk up's really quantifies our situation.

The manager can do everything he can between games but when players consistently make individual errors, and I'm certainly not blaming McAusland on his own here, or make other basic errors the usual result is a goal lost.

We, seemingly have a great goalkeeper, a superb midfield and Thompson up front. The consistent blame aimed at the manager when players fail to carry out the basics like control or passing the ball gets lost in personal vendettas and ego trips from forum users.

I was at Aberdeen a few weeks ago and it seemed to me we are an average team, like many others, with no real options to improve what's put on the park at the start of the game.

Yes, tactics, yawn, and players in or out of position are quoted but the fact is the players underachieve on a regular basis.

The other "stick" used to beat the manager about failed signings is a bit weak as the funds available are next to nothing and the majority of these "failures" cost next to nothing which would usually produce next to nothing anyway. The list of teams who have signings who have failed to produce makes interesting reading as MOST teams, including Celtic, have a list of failures.

We are what we are, IMO, a mediocre team who are short of 3 or 4 experienced and consistent players.

Some signings don't work out - the majority on the forum (myself included) were reasonably happy with Cornell, Grainger & Harkins, two of whom are away and the other looks to have lost his best form to injury. We signed Harkins & then McGowan changed his mind about leaving so we resigned him on a one year deal - the guys couldn't be fitted in the same team (by Lennon anyway) and that was unfortunate but trying it out against Motherwell last month was folly. I'd even be prepared to say that moving on Harkins at the first possible opportunity is a point in Lennon's favour.

Not signing a striker in time for the start of the season was trouble waiting to happen, again with Bahoken some you win, some you lose, but the Caprice deal looked bizarre pretty much from the outset - with the first team in chaos we needed first pick players we signed a RB who didn't start a game and to the best of my recollection made all his substitute appearances elsewhere. OK one of his attributes was his versatility but it still has to be classed as a bizarre experiment.

The Mair situation was badly handled - it's obvious why we want rid of him but sometimes you just have to make the best of a bad situation. Injuries & suspensions haven't helped but these are part & parcel of the game and I don't think we've been disproportionately affected.

We have no right to expect to be automatically beating the other teams (with the possible exception of Hearts) in this division and depending on how the January dealings work out this could still turn out to be a reasonable season although in each of DL's 3 previous seasons we have finished the season lower than we were on January 1st. huh.png

Realistically we're in a four way battle to avoid 11th place now and out of the other three teams I'd reckon only Ross County (possibly) have a bigger budget - Killie's looks to be pretty much on a par with ours but Thistle's is definitely less and now that the new penny factor has worn off I expect them to struggle - our game against them at the end of the month already looks a biggie.

Obviously there are times when a manager gets it right but the players just fuck it up but I don't reckon Lennon has gotten the best from the resources available to him - you could tell from the Record interview last month that he's beginning to see himself as a lame duck manager, it's his last chance to change things before his current deal runs out - I certainly hope he gets it right but I can't say I've got 100% confidence in him,

Someone like Parkin, never a world beater but can come in and do a job when needed. I personally wouldn't have let him go last season. Exactly what we've need the last few games.

I heard that DL tried to keep parkin but he wouldn't stay as he wanted to be playing regular football?

Pretty much my point as why any half decent striker wont come to warm the bench? blink.png

That's a valid point.

Much as we all accept that Thommo is a deity, and, as such, is wholly irreplaceable, we need to be looking at bringing in a striker who can be up there challenging for the main man spot - ie: someone who is good for a dozen plus goals. Otherwise, we will have to settle for mediocrity.

Of course, bringing such a player in is a far from straightforward proposition, but not impossible. The contrasting scenarios of Isma and Bahoken highlight the extent to which this can be a huge punt. We got (very) lucky with Isma, but it does prove that there are players out there who can come in and do a real job for a club like Saints.

I think Danny's future at the club could very well hinge on this transfer window. That smacks of stating the bleedin' obvious, I realise, but it is now make or break for him. He won't be going anywhere before the summer - not the remotest chance of this, so the stakes are huge for him to get this right. not just in terms of his future at Saints, but his career itself.

Something tells me he might play it safe by trying to bring in an experienced player and a known quantity. The Bahoken signing must be haunting him.

Over to you Danny. Last chance saloon time I suspect.

Pretty much my point as why any half decent striker wont come to warm the bench? blink.png

JJ, best to get reality check. tongue.png (post #41)

Except he obviously did come to be a back-up player last season.

His departure was announced at the same time as it was announced Guy & Imrie were no longer wanted by Lennon and Isma obviously going - it was up to Lennon either to change Parkins mind or find a player to cover the four outgoing players. Every other club in the SPFL seemed to have more than one striker on the books for the start of the season.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Some signings don't work out - the majority on the forum (myself included) were reasonably happy with Cornell, Grainger & Harkins, two of whom are away and the other looks to have lost his best form to injury. We signed Harkins & then McGowan changed his mind about leaving so we resigned him on a one year deal - the guys couldn't be fitted in the same team (by Lennon anyway) and that was unfortunate but trying it out against Motherwell last month was folly. I'd even be prepared to say that moving on Harkins at the first possible opportunity is a point in Lennon's favour.

Not signing a striker in time for the start of the season was trouble waiting to happen, again with Bahoken some you win, some you lose, but the Caprice deal looked bizarre pretty much from the outset - with the first team in chaos we needed first pick players we signed a RB who didn't start a game and to the best of my recollection made all his substitute appearances elsewhere. OK one of his attributes was his versatility but it still has to be classed as a bizarre experiment.

The Mair situation was badly handled - it's obvious why we want rid of him but sometimes you just have to make the best of a bad situation. Injuries & suspensions haven't helped but these are part & parcel of the game and I don't think we've been disproportionately affected.

We have no right to expect to be automatically beating the other teams (with the possible exception of Hearts) in this division and depending on how the January dealings work out this could still turn out to be a reasonable season although in each of DL's 3 previous seasons we have finished the season lower than we were on January 1st. huh.png

Realistically we're in a four way battle to avoid 11th place now and out of the other three teams I'd reckon only Ross County (possibly) have a bigger budget - Killie's looks to be pretty much on a par with ours but Thistle's is definitely less and now that the new penny factor has worn off I expect them to struggle - our game against them at the end of the month already looks a biggie.

Obviously there are times when a manager gets it right but the players just fuck it up but I don't reckon Lennon has gotten the best from the resources available to him - you could tell from the Record interview last month that he's beginning to see himself as a lame duck manager, it's his last chance to change things before his current deal runs out - I certainly hope he gets it right but I can't say I've got 100% confidence in him,

A very good post Bud - agree wholeheartedly. I still reckon Grainger can come good for us but I think he needs an extended run of games to get his fitness and confidence back, but you don't become a bad player straight away and the guy has pedigree (and a smashing left foot when on form) so he is worth giving time. Also, Kelly can't play every game or sustain his form given his inexperience so we will need Grainger more and more. Your last paragraph hits the nail on the head - Lennon certainly has not gotten the best from the players/budget at his disposal.

That's a valid point.

Much as we all accept that Thommo is a deity, and, as such, is wholly irreplaceable, we need to be looking at bringing in a striker who can be up there challenging for the main man spot - ie: someone who is good for a dozen plus goals. Otherwise, we will have to settle for mediocrity.

we all accepty that Thommo is a deity? Would this be the same Thommo who was being slagged off & criticised as being a donkey at the start of the season? Or would this be (i) a different Thommo or (ii) arsehole fans who don't know a fúcking thing?

I keep hearing about Parkin. How many appearances did he make and how many goals did he score for us?

Bring back Isma. We are looking into it so watch this space

I think he's more been used as an example of the type of striker that we need. Not necessary Sam Parkin himself. I think any striker coming in will know at the start they will be playing second fiddle to the legend that is Steven Thompson, they will be the ones that have to force their way into the squad if they want first team football. If they apply themselves properly and hit a bit of form then there's no reason why they can't play both up top or give Thommo a rest from time to time, he's 35 and won't be playing forever!

Massive couple of weeks coming up with 3 of Partick's next four games at Firhill with us as their only away game , hope our BOD don't continue to bury their heads in the sand and hope for the best like they've been doing since March last year !

How much money will we have in the kitty - we've had a number of pay-offs all of which will have dug into this, plus we probably had to push the boat out for Kello and then there's the curious case of Stephane Bahoken - I'm speculating here but I don't reckon much, maybe one player tops.

I hope your speculation is wrong as the possibility of only one player, even for me, is a pretty scary prospect.