Additions Needed Now - Experience Preferred

Since the start of the season (please feel free to correct me if I've missed someone)

In: Newton, Bahoken unsure.png , Kello, & Campbell

Out: Robertson, Dillo & Harkins

In & Out: Caprice

Generally we only bring in 1/2 players in the January window

Last season - Newton & Isma with Dummett doing the Hokey-Cokey, the season before I only remember Imrie coming in with Goodwin getting a new (improved?) deal with McShane (remember the tears when he left laugh.png ) off to Hamilton and Haddad going back to Holland..

I've been wrong plenty times before on this site but I reckon one more player in unless we manage to do some impressive wheeling & dealing. Realistically the only saleable asset we have this window is McGinn and I'm not sure if we want to lose him.

Edited by Bud the Baker

The club were probably banking on Bahoken being punted back to Nice.

His subsequent return has not only taken up a wage that could have been used for another player, but it probably negates the possibility of the club signing another striker to deputise for Thompson.

Although, we still, IMO, do require the type of striker mentioned latterly.

A centre half, in the mould of Nelson at Hibs, is a must.

I suppose we could do with a defensive midfielder, as Goodwin seems to be descending into a situation of perma-suspension and toothless displays.

With the return of Teale and McLean, we should be O.K. for creativity, from the midfield.

However, the manager has to step up to the plate and get more out of the players. There are just too many players currently underperforming.

Sadly I'm not convinced the manager is capable of turning things around, new signings or not.

His subsequent return has not only taken up a wage that could have been used for another player, but it probably negates the possibility of the club signing another striker to deputise for Thompson.

I suppose we could do with a defensive midfielder, as Goodwin seems to be descending into a situation of perma-suspension and toothless displays.

With the return of Teale and McLean, we should be O.K. for creativity, from the midfield.

However, the manager has to step up to the plate and get more out of the players. There are just too many players currently underperforming.

Sadly I'm not convinced the manager is capable of turning things around, new signings or not.

Decent summary.

We managed 3 shots off target against fake saints which is awful. Top 6 will never happen now. We have over rated players like gowser. Players that are no longer gd enough eg Goodwin IMO.

We need a mass clear out in the summer if we want to have 1 just 1 comfortable league campaign and have anychance of finishing in the top 6.

Only positives this season are Kelly, Naismith. McLean and mcginn who is a pleasure to watch 100% commitment every game.

Good post.

Fair point and I reckon McLean playing well/being fit has coincided with our best form over the last season or so but isn't he out for 6 weeks or something? We could be deep in the doodoo 6 weeks from now.

We managed 3 shots off target against fake saints which is awful. Top 6 will never happen now. We have over rated players like gowser. Players that are no longer gd enough eg Goodwin IMO.

We need a mass clear out in the summer if we want to have 1 just 1 comfortable league campaign and have anychance of finishing in the top 6.

Only positives this season are Kelly, Naismith. McLean and mcginn who is a pleasure to watch 100% commitment every game.

Agree with the point you are making but disagree with the players mentioned. I don't think McGowan is over rated at all - he's our best midfielder (although possibly McGinn is now showing the consistency and will be better) - and has been for a few seasons. He constantly works his arse off and I think we look a far poorer team without him. With regards to Goodwin, I think its harsh to say he's not good enough - he can be very influential - but he just needs to screw the nut and stop the daft cautions/suspensions.

Now, I think there are several players in our team/squad who are not good enough and should be punted: read Van Zanten, Mair, Newton, McAusland and Grainger. I should have Bahonking on that list too but I haven't seen enough of him to make a conclusion and to be honest, Cheesy and Grainger are decent squad players so I wouldn't be too bothered if they stay - but not as first choice picks.

If you ask me we need a new centre half, a new right back (Naismith can't be relied upon just yet as he's too young), a tough midfielder and another target man.

Fair point and I reckon McLean playing well/being fit has coincided with our best form over the last season or so but isn't he out for 6 weeks or something? We could be deep in the doodoo 6 weeks from now.

Yes that is a worry.

However, we've got to hope and pray that the manager can get the best out of our current options i.e. McGowan, McGinn and Newton.

Maybe a creative midfielder should be on our shopping list given that Harkins has departed.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find such a player, who could add more to the team than Harkins did.

We've got to be realistic about this transfer window.

As much as some people don't rate our current centre halves there's no way Danny will replace either Cheesy or McGregor, also we have cover in Naismith, Goodwin or Mair if he stays.

My bet would be that he'll be looking at a big striker in the Parkin mould that can give Thommo a rest and a midfielder to cover us in the absence of McLean.

Can't really see any other positions he'd be looking at strengthening.

We've got to be realistic about this transfer window.

As much as some people don't rate our current centre halves there's no way Danny will replace either Cheesy or McGregor, also we have cover in Naismith, Goodwin or Mair if he stays.

My bet would be that he'll be looking at a big striker in the Parkin mould that can give Thommo a rest and a midfielder to cover us in the absence of McLean.

Can't really see any other positions he'd be looking at strengthening.

A wide player with pace who can deliver crosses as he said yesterday Thommo is the best in the air in Scotland.

It would be nice if he could able to attack a couple of crosses now and then instead of punts.

You could add Grainger to the list of centre halves.

A wide player with pace who can deliver crosses as he said yesterday Thommo is the best in the air in Scotland.

It would be nice if he could able to attack a couple of crosses now and then instead of punts.

You could add Grainger to the list of centre halves.

I would love for is to go for Andy Driver

Anyone else get the feeling we're not going to sign anyone? A bit like the last transfer window when we let go about 13 players and we alll thought surely we will replace most if them and all we dod was bring in half that amount!

It has certainly been very quiet.

It could be argued that we've already made a couple of signings in Kello and Campbell, but I'm sure Danny has made noises about further additions, though nothing specific (not surprisingly).

I think the days of Sutton and Adam type captures at the 11th hour are long gone, though. We can hope, but with each passing day, the ominous silence reeks more of hee haw happening, as opposed to the club going about their business in a measured and discreet manner. I think we are all a bit tainted by the summer debacle, and expected/hoped for a bit more, but January windows are typically an anti-climax.

No point wringing our hands over it, however, as it won't make a damn bit of difference.

It has certainly been very quiet.

It could be argued that we've already made a couple of signings in Kello and Campbell, but I'm sure Danny has made noises about further additions, though nothing specific (not surprisingly).

I think the days of Sutton and Adam type captures at the 11th hour are long gone, though. We can hope, but with each passing day, the ominous silence reeks more of hee haw happening, as opposed to the club going about their business in a measured and discreet manner. I think we are all a bit tainted by the summer debacle, and expected/hoped for a bit more, but January windows are typically an anti-climax.

No point wringing our hands over it, however, as it won't make a damn bit of difference.

We won't sign anyone I fear. I am led to believe the fact that Bahoken is back ties up any funds we had. Before that Danny was talking about bring 1 or 2 in now we have total silence about signings. If the board don't back him with one or 2 signings I fear it is the Championship for us.

Maybe the board don't see that as a bad thing as we will have Rangers & Hearts and the possibility of playing Morton

We won't sign anyone I fear. I am led to believe the fact that Bahoken is back ties up any funds we had. Before that Danny was talking about bring 1 or 2 in now we have total silence about signings. If the board don't back him with one or 2 signings I fear it is the Championship for us.

Maybe the board don't see that as a bad thing as we will have Rangers & Hearts and the possibility of playing Morton

Despite being tired, out of ideas, and wanting to sell up and make a profit, I'm still reasonably sure that the BoD wouldn't regard dropping down to 'Division 1' as being anything but a bad thing. Morton won't be there, and despite good home gates against Hearts and The Sevco - they'd be offset by utterly pish visiting fan numbers in some other fixtures, allied to an undoubted reduction in home numbers, sponsorship, corporate, and TV. I'd bet my life savings on both Hearts and The Sevco out-spending us big time, and we could be facing a third place finish at best. This could mean another season with Hearts and/or a newly relegated SPFL side in 'Division 1' - and we'd never get signings of the Thommo and Teale calibre to join us and make us competitive. Loanees would go to SPFL clubs, we'd need to sell the McGowan, McGinn and McLean types, and we'd never in a million years get a Kello standard of keeper. Teams like Falkirk, Dundee and/or Hamilton/QoTS would easily be on a par with us.

We'd be somewhat fcuked. IMHO.

Edited by pozbaird

Despite being tired, out of ideas, and wanting to sell up and make a profit, I'm still reasonably sure that the BoD wouldn't regard dropping down to 'Division 1' as being anything but a bad thing. Morton won't be there, and despite good home gates against Hearts and The Sevco - they'd be offset by utterly pish visiting fan numbers in some other fixtures, allied to an undoubted reduction in home numbers, sponsorship, corporate, and TV. I'd bet my life savings on both Hearts and The Sevco out-spending us big time, and we could be facing a third place finish at best. This could mean another season with Hearts and/or a newly relegated SPFL side in 'Division 1' - and we'd never get signings of the Thommo and Teale calibre to jon us and make us competitive. Loanees would go to SPFL clubs, we'd need to sell the McGowan, McGinn and McLean types, and we'd never in a million years get a Kello standard of keeper. Teams like Falkirk, Dundee and/or Hamilton/QoTS would easily be on a par with us.

We'd be somewhat fcuked. IMHO.

Indeed.

Only a fool would think dropping down a league would, in any way, be good for the club.

I'm sure the board can remember only too well that shite and what it meant to the income to the club.

Some of the best crowds we've had recently at SMP are when Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, and Motherwell come calling. Any 'benefit' that might be accrued from the Sevco franchise and Hearts visiting would be totally nullified by losing these opponents (among others), and, as poz has said, the piss-poor visiting supports we might expect from some of the remaining Division 1 (I can't bring myself to refer to the "Championship", FFS) clubs.

Dropping down a division would be terrible for Saints, but it wouldn't assist the directors who are still trying to punt the club either.

Some of the best crowds we've had recently at SMP are when Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, and Motherwell come calling. Any 'benefit' that might be accrued from the Sevco franchise and Hearts visiting would be totally nullified by losing these opponents (among others), and, as poz has said, the piss-poor visiting supports we might expect from some of the remaining Division 1 (I can't bring myself to refer to the "Championship", FFS) clubs.

Dropping down a division would be terrible for Saints, but it wouldn't assist the directors who are still trying to punt the club either.

Well they need to get moving as I reckon we need fresh blood before the Thistle game