Hospitality?

Ronnie

I'm sorry to see Somner9 gone.  He was obviously a passionate St. Mirren fan and we need as many passionate supporters as we can get.

Don't worry Tony, I doubt he'll stop supporting the club which is really what matters. He will sign up with another alias and try to pick fights with people that don't even notice.

Sometimes (seldom) you're a star. rolleyes.gif

I feel quite guilty now.

That's twice you've said nice things about me in a month and I haven't yet found a single post of yours in 6 years worthy of returning the compliment.

On the positive side, receving a compliment from you is like receiving a nodding reindeer ornament for a Christmas present so that eases my guilt a little.

Edited by oaksoft

Missed the somner9/rea brouhaha - I feel somner9 was in the right he may very well have left information that revealed his RealLifeTM identity on the 10000hours website but rea shouldn't have used this information to patronize him on this site. One more reason I'm glad the richboy didn't get our club to be his plaything.

I'm not so sure BtB - many people are called and referred to by their "RealLife" identity on here irrespective of the fact that they have a "username". Classic example would be Stuart Dickson who is referred to by many names other than his "username" with some of them being his "RealLife" identity others being abusive about his size, occupation etc (not saying he doesn't bring it on himself).

Is it worse to call somebody by their "forename" than it is to criticise, abuse and be malicious about someone, something I think somner9 was regularly guilty of, from behind the cowardice of anonymity?

Classic toys out the pram situation in my opinion.

I'm not so sure BtB - many people are called and referred to by their "RealLife" identity on here irrespective of the fact that they have a "username". Classic example would be Stuart Dickson who is referred to by many names other than his "username" with some of them being his "RealLife" identity others being abusive about his size, occupation etc (not saying he doesn't bring it on himself).

Is it worse to call somebody by their "forename" than it is to criticise, abuse and be malicious about someone, something I think somner9 was regularly guilty of, from behind the cowardice of anonymity?

Usually by people who know them in real life which is clearly not the case in this situation, or via information that has been disseminated on this site. This site is a bit of a bearpit at times and somner9 was no angel I just think that in this instance he was the wronged party.

Usually by people who know them in real life which is clearly not the case in this situation, or via information that has been disseminated on this site. This site is a bit of a bearpit at times and somner9 was no angel I just think that in this instance he was the wronged party.

The bit in bold may be true in some situations but definitely not in all.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion BtB and I respect it, my opinion is that if you're worried enough about someone knowing your name because of things you have said you'd be better off not saying them in the first place.

I think somner9 was using this as just another stick to beat REA with, looks like the stick was dynamite and it blew up in his face.

The reason he has gone is he realized he had fcuked up.

If you hide behind anonymity, what are you hiding from?

This site would be a lot better if we were to get rid of the trolls.

He'll be back, if he isn't already, so I don't see the need to give him any credit for acting like a child, although a lot of his posts did reflect his closeness to a meltdown.

Flush.gifFlush.gifFlush.gif

Edited by faraway saint

If you hide behind anonymity, what are you hiding from?

This is one of the reasons I use my own name. Apart from anything else, it ensures that I temper my own worst excesses (for the most part....) as I know that what I say can be pinned on me. Self-regulation is underrated, IMO.

I'm not suggesting that this should be the norm, each to their own, but so many of us know each other in one way or another now, it seems a bit silly to hide behind a username. Unfortunately, it seems to me that some people are only too happy to dish out abuse (some of it verging on slander) because they can remain anonymous. For me, this is one major downside of the internet in general.

If you have a problem with something or someone, man-up and own it.

Edited by Drew

Missed the somner9/rea brouhaha - I feel somner9 was in the right he may very well have left information that revealed his RealLifeTM identity on the 10000hours website but rea shouldn't have used this information to patronize him on this site. One more reason I'm glad the richboy didn't get our club to be his plaything.

Quite right, there was a certain smugness about the way he played somner that was unpleasant to watch. although I'd describe rea as rich-man's son rather than richboy.

If this is an example of what he gets up to when bored with the bible and horses then yes, it's certainly good that he is not running a football club (or running a company that is running a footbal club, especially ours.

1. there has been more than one Stuart Dickson in the history of this website

2. he started off using a pseudonym

3. Adressing someone by their given name, unless invited to, is a privilege to be earned and not a right to be assumed. best example i can give is the insistence of car salesmen on calling you by your first name as if they know you even though you've only just met. most people who refer to each other by their own names actually know each other in real life, I'd have been annoyed if rea started to patronise me by using my name as if there is proper a connection between us. I know for a fact that the only connections between these two are this website and 10000 hours. No doubt he will be looking up 10000 hours history as I write to chip in.

4. No doubt about it, somner dished it out, but only to those who took up against him. some of the pursuit of him by a certain clique was unedifying to watch. You see it time and again on this forum

5. I tend not to use my own name as i post from work at times and rules forbid me from giving out the details in case my opinions are purproted to be representative of my employers-I've even shyed away from some debated in case i am overstepping the mark. I dont accept that the use of a pseudonym is a shiled to hide behind. Best practice is to never say anything on here that you wouldnt say to someone's face and I hold myself to that

Edited by beyond our ken

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of REAs failed bid, Somner9 was certainly entitled to his. Unfortunately, he seemed to feel the need to have a dig or bring REA / the CIC into threads that were hee-haw to do with anything even relating to the failed CIC bid. A thread about hospitality? How did that become fair game for yet another pop?

REA is big enough and ugly enough to defend himself mind you, but the bid died, failed, dragged on interminably, crashed and burned, it's a dead Norwegian Blue...

Somner9 didn't just have an issue with rea. At various times he threatened other forum users with legal action. He was happy enough to make statements on here about the CiC bid and mods and the BoD which were getting towards slander territory but as soon as someone calls his by his first name without actually revealing his full name there were further questions about legality and then he left. I don't see anything wrong with rea's posts towards him at all compared with how somner9 posted about rea in particular.

1. there has been more than one Stuart Dickson in the history of this website

2. he started off using a pseudonym

3. Adressing someone by their given name, unless invited to, is a privilege to be earned and not a right to be assumed. best example i can give is the insistence of car salesmen on calling you by your first name as if they know you even though you've only just met. most people who refer to each other by their own names actually know each other in real life, I'd have been annoyed if rea started to patronise me by using my name as if there is proper a connection between us. I know for a fact that the only connections between these two are this website and 10000 hours. No doubt he will be looking up 10000 hours history as I write to chip in.

4. No doubt about it, somner dished it out, but only to those who took up against him. some of the pursuit of him by a certain clique was unedifying to watch. You see it time and again on this forum

5. I tend not to use my own name as i post from work at times and rules forbid me from giving out the details in case my opinions are purproted to be representative of my employers-I've even shyed away from some debated in case i am overstepping the mark. I dont accept that the use of a pseudonym is a shiled to hide behind. Best practice is to never say anything on here that you wouldnt say to someone's face and I hold myself to that

I'm not saying that using someone's given name is correct, I was more pointing out that it happens a lot on this site and the "right to use" clause isn't always earned.

With regard to point 3, how do you know this for an "absolute" fact?

With regard to point 4 I think you are talking nonsense, somner9 dished out plenty but couldn't take it back. For the record I never had an issue or an episode with him but saw plenty. I do agree with you about the "clique" mentality that goes on though.

With regard to point 5 I agree but for the record my name is Ally and you can use it if you wish.

Edited by WeeBud

Are you okay with me calling you darling?

Ach, aye OK. Trying to think - I sometimes call you 'Drew' cos' erm, it's your name... and BuddieinEK 'Brian'. I see some people calling Lochwinnoch Saint 'Andy'. I don't see it as a big deal. Personally, I don't give two hoots what forumsters call me. I use the same name on every forum, which clearly uses my surname too. Nothing to hide, no reason to hide behind an anonymous username or have multiple aliases.

There's enough of that bollocks from elsewhere. The need to have multiple aliases surely hides deep rooted psychological issues - or that you're a knob who keeps getting banned.

Edited by pozbaird

Ach, aye OK. Trying to think - I sometimes call you 'Drew' cos' erm, it's your name... and BuddieinEK 'Brian'. I see some people calling Lochwinnoch Saint 'Andy'. I don't see it as a big deal. Personally, I don't give two hoots what forumsters call me. I use the same name on every forum, which clearly uses my surname too. Nothing to hide, no reason to hide behind an anonymous username or have multiple aliases.

That would not only be imperinent but... er... wrong.

LS isnae Andy... :unsure:

Popeye calls me chingford...