Lee Mair To Dundee ?

Murray7

Getting one of our higher earners off the wage bill is no bad thing when they haven't featured much and I am sure Lee would see it as a good move as topflight football would be a liklihood for next season. Managers move player's on they don't rate/ fancy. Dundee are only club in that league that would be able to offer similar terms he is currently on. I think he will go.

Hopefully free up some cash to allow us to sign someone else. Life goes on.

Getting one of our higher earners off the wage bill is no bad thing when they haven't featured much and I am sure Lee would see it as a good move as topflight football would be a liklihood for next season. Managers move player's on they don't rate/ fancy. Dundee are only club in that league that would be able to offer similar terms he is currently on. I think he will go.

Hopefully free up some cash to allow us to sign someone else. Life goes on.

Agreed but I thought this might happen when we rid ourselves of our high earners in the summer. We failed to replace them, this will be a good move if we replace him.

Would retaining McGowan having already signed Harkins not have tied up a fair chunk of the wages?

Perhaps but we lost Isma, Dummet, Parkin, Imrie, Guy, Samson, Robertson, we even started the season without Newton while trying to offload Mair.

Remember McGowan replaced himself at a higher rate and Harkins coming in wouldn't have accounted for the above losses.

Perhaps but we lost Isma, Dummet, Parkin, Imrie, Guy, Samson, Robertson, we even started the season without Newton while trying to offload Mair.

Remember McGowan replaced himself at a higher rate and Harkins coming in wouldn't have accounted for the above losses.

Samson being a "high earner" at St Mirren would be news to Samson himself! Isma and Dummet were probably not a huge drain on our wage budget given that as loanees we were probably just paying a portion of their wage, Robertson signed from the 2nd division again was probably signed as a squad player and not on oneof our larger wages either.

I am guessing our high earners are Thomson, Teale, Goodwin, McGowan and Mair since he was signed from Aberdeen pre- Setanta going bust...maybe DVZ as well?

Lee is a top man, has served us fantastically well and I'm thankful for all he has done. A top pro. He could still be decent as experienced cover. However, I jut don't think he is a first choice option anymore. The first division is probably about his level now and he could do a great job for one of the top end clubs in that division. If he stays then he's a good, experienced hand to have in the dressing room. If he goes then it frees up a wage and he gets a gig at a decent level,

We only got the signings last that came in last January because of we knew we were through the next round of the cup and therefore could afford to bring them in. The wage budget is the same as it was the start of last season, so can't include the players that came in to us in January.

It would seem that Lee is familiar with the concept that things can change quickly in football and clubs as well as players have to try and take the best deal available for them at the time. He had no qualms about backing out of re-signing for Dundee and signing instead for Dundee United.

"The onset of administration in 2003 meant he missed out on a big contract extension, leaving for Stockport before controversially putting pen to paper at Tannadice.

Mair angered many Dark Blues fans and then manager Jim Duffy by agreeing a Dens return only to renege on it and sign for Dundee United"

I have no doubt that his contract terms which were very favourable to him when he signed with us and had his deal extended are the very thing which have led to him getting the cold shoulder treatment he has had in the last 12 months. I am pretty sure that if there wasn't the clause about having his contract automatically extended after x games (on the same terms?) then he would have been utilised more as a squad player even when he wasn't a first pick any longer.

If Mair, McAusland and McGregor are of a similar standard of ability I am not surprised that we have played the younger 2 who are on cheaper contracts and who still have some potential to develop and improve while Mair is at an age where many average standard players start dropping a division for the last few years of their careers.

I thought Mair played well and improved in DL's first season with us, and wasn't surprised when he got a new deal at that point. I have no doubt that he is a great guy and also entitled to hold out for the best deal for him and his family as well, but I don't think we should be taking a pop at the club or DL over Mair's treatment in the last 12 months - he got brought on in the Cup Final so he could say he took part in that game and got his medal at a time when he was otherwise out the picture, the club have put him through his coaching badges and paid him well (by our standards) over the years and paid him on time (which could be a risk if he does sign for Dundee!). The only way the club could avoid his contract being extended was to make sure he never hit his quota of games that entitled him to a new deal. He was also around when the likes of Potter, Dargo, Murray were told they were not going to get new deals so I don't think he can be surprised now his own time has come.