No More Business Today

Relatively successful signings in the last 12 months: Dummet (loan extended), Goncalves, Newton (3 times!), McGowan (1 year extension), Dilo, Kello,and Campbell - we'll see how Wylde does and it sounds like Magennis is being viewed partly as back up / squad player rather than a rival for Thompson. I wonder if this hits Lex's magic 20% success-in-transfers-minimum-requirement ratio?

You didn't think I was being totally genuine when I said we should aim for a 20 percent hit rate, did you? I would expect someone whose management experience extends no further than Sports Interactive's Football Manager 2013 to achieve better than that. Sadly, it's apparently too much to ask of our club at the moment.

Also, counting Campbell as a success? Talk about jumping the gun. He's had more poor games than good ones since he arrived here. He did next to nothing against Thistle, Celtic, St Johnstone and Hearts. But then again, we can't expect consistency from a winger who's just turned 19, and we aren't going to get it from him.

However you dress it up or spin it, the football club has had an absolute nightmare in the transfer market for some time now. The blame does not solely lie with the manager certainly, I believe the BoD, Brian Caldwell, Tommy Craig and Paul Mather deserve a decent share of the criticism.

I mean, take the left back situation. Who is going to play there if young Kelly gets injured or suspended? I genuinely have no idea, is there anyone else left in our squad who's played there before? Mairzo, Barron and Grainger all had some level of experience in that position, but we've punted all three of them in the last fortnight.

However, the bizarre nature of our January business has certainly made one thing a lot clearer: I think Danny knows, I think the BoD know and I think we all now know that this was Danny's final window in charge.

You didn't think I was being totally genuine when I said we should aim for a 20 percent hit rate, did you? I would expect someone whose management experience extends no further than Sports Interactive's Football Manager 2013 to achieve better than that. Sadly, it's apparently too much to ask of our club at the moment.

Also, counting Campbell as a success? Talk about jumping the gun. He's had more poor games than good ones since he arrived here. He did next to nothing against Thistle, Celtic, St Johnstone and Hearts. But then again, we can't expect consistency from a winger who's just turned 19, and we aren't going to get it from him.

However you dress it up or spin it, the football club has had an absolute nightmare in the transfer market for some time now. The blame does not solely lie with the manager certainly, I believe the BoD, Brian Caldwell, Tommy Craig and Paul Mather deserve a decent share of the criticism.

I mean, take the left back situation. Who is going to play there if young Kelly gets injured or suspended? I genuinely have no idea, is there anyone else left in our squad who's played there before? Mairzo, Barron and Grainger all had some level of experience in that position, but we've punted all three of them in the last fortnight.

However, the bizarre nature of our January business has certainly made one thing a lot clearer: I think Danny knows, I think the BoD know and I think we all now know that this was Danny's final window in charge.

Are you not one of Sam Parkin's fans who reckon he should have been adequately replaced? Is Campbell not two thirds of the way to equalling Parkin's goals tally for last season in his first month with us?

My take on this window - we have signed 3 players in Campbell, Wylde and Magennis who will add competition for the first team and once we have Mclean and Teale back from injury I think our starting XI and bench for midfielders and forwards will be pretty reasonable So far we haven't added any of the defenders we are obviously needing, but it would appear that we are still working to bring in other players after the window shuts. 8 out of the remaining 11 SPL clubs have either signed the same number of players as us in this window or less players than we have and around half the league have offloaded more players than we have in January. We've had a month of fixtures where our squad has been thin and within the next couple of weeks we should have 3 players back from injury as well as our January additions and anyone we sign outwith the window closing..

Are you not one of Sam Parkin's fans who reckon he should have been adequately replaced? Is Campbell not two thirds of the way to equalling Parkin's goals tally for last season in his first month with us?

My take on this window - we have signed 3 players in Campbell, Wylde and Magennis who will add competition for the first team and once we have Mclean and Teale back from injury I think our starting XI and bench for midfielders and forwards will be pretty reasonable So far we haven't added any of the defenders we are obviously needing, but it would appear that we are still working to bring in other players after the window shuts. 8 out of the remaining 11 SPL clubs have either signed the same number of players as us in this window or less players than we have and around half the league have offloaded more players than we have in January. We've had a month of fixtures where our squad has been thin and within the next couple of weeks we should have 3 players back from injury as well as our January additions and anyone we sign outwith the window closing..

post-8992-0-44446300-1391217110_thumb.jp

Good for you Bud. Before the window opened if we wanted to bring on a striker alongside Thompson or to replace him we had a choice between Reilly or Bahoken (if he wasn't awol)... we now also have Campbell and Magennis. BAWA posters moaned we had no natural wingers while Teale was out injured, we now have the option of playing Wylde and Campbell who can fill that role.

I think when Teale and McLean return most of our January signings will revert to squad players, but we should have plenty of options from the bench to change things during matches, unlike in the last month or two when we looked at the bench and mostly didn't fancy there were many options to change the game in our favour there.

post-8992-0-16675000-1391218915_thumb.jp

Good for you Bud. Before the window opened if we wanted to bring on a striker alongside Thompson or to replace him we had a choice between Reilly or Bahoken (if he wasn't awol)... we now also have Campbell and Magennis. BAWA posters moaned we had no natural wingers while Teale was out injured, we now have the option of playing Wylde and Campbell who can fill that role.

I think when Teale and McLean return most of our January signings will revert to squad players, but we should have plenty of options from the bench to change things during matches, unlike in the last month or two when we looked at the bench and mostly didn't fancy there were many options to change the game in our favour there.

punk.gif

The player who we are targeting is out of contract at the moment. Not bound by transfer deadline.

Do you swallow everything that Lennon says ? What he really means is , we've f**ked up our attempts to sign who we need, so on Monday we'll have a look at the dross that no-one wants and see if there's anyone who comes close to the standard required !

Do you swallow everything that Lennon says ? What he really means is , we've f**ked up our attempts to sign who we need, so on Monday we'll have a look at the dross that no-one wants and see if there's anyone who comes close to the standard required !

Ffs Billy, Don't tell us That this wee CNUT, is still on our RADAR ? 1eye.gif

post-8992-0-13840500-1391219527_thumb.jp

Edited by Bud Bundy

If I was upset I'd be one of those making out our dealings in the January window = the end of the world and a certain descent into the relegation play offs.

Shrewd, Or Inept by our B O D who knows ? You can please the odd supporter some of the time, But You cant please the rest of our Supporters, All of the Time ?

post-8992-0-12556800-1391220374_thumb.jp

Was out last night so missed all the deadline day "excitement" and woke up this morning with the hope that we'd addressed the issue that's been our undoing for the last few years (centre of defence) but no, we hadn't. So, we move on with what we've got in the hope that Thistle or County are just a little more shit than us in the coming weeks.

Pretty depressing state of affairs really.

Was out last night so missed all the deadline day "excitement" and woke up this morning with the hope that we'd addressed the issue that's been our undoing for the last few years (centre of defence) but no, we hadn't. So, we move on with what we've got in the hope that Thistle or County are just a little more shit than us in the coming weeks.

Pretty depressing state of affairs really.

This.

A totally demoralising state of affairs.

Agreed that Dummet proved to be a successful loan. We also got the best return from Isma in the league cup semi and final.

Perhaps I'm being over critical, but I expect more from Gowser and Newton on a weekly basis.

As a number 10 Gowser must be one of the lowest goalscorers in his position in the league. Last season he managed 1 goal from open play. To date this season he has managed two goals. Hardly a great return I'm sure you will agree.

He can be great to watch at times and is arguably the most skillful player we have in the team, but what we are missing from him is an end product.

Newton has been very disappointing for me this season. I don't think he is comfortable in the position he is asked to play. But regardless of his position he should be contributing more in games. Personally I'd prefer him in the middle of the park with McGinn or McLean when fit.

No matter how you dress it up, the manager has failed to build on the league cup success last year. His transfer dealings since the end of last season must have have cost the club financially through signing on fees and paying players off that we can ill afford.

As I said before we need McLean and Teale to get back playing and stay fit for the remaining weeks of the season as we have really missed what they bring to the team. Our form tailed off significantly when McLean got injured. Haste ye back.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

I don't disagree hugely with any of your points. My list of relatively successful signings in the last 12 months was compiled in response to someone posting that DL's dealings in the transfer market in the last 12 months and I was making the point that in that space of time we have about half a team of signings that have worked out pretty well on our budget (as well as half a team who didn't).

Completely agree on McLean and Teale's return to the team. If they get up to match fitness and regain their form soon it could make our signings in January look a little more bizarre than they do now - if McLean and Teale become starting XI picks week by week how will we use Campbell, Wylde and Magennis on a regular basis?

A proven number 9 should have replaced Parkin. Campbell is a winger and is therefore not a replacement for Parkin. We needed someone capable of playing Thommos role to take the load off his shoulders. The Bahoken experiment looks to have failed twice now and we have signed Magennis.

We have Teale and McLean coming back but we don't have any defenders coming back. As soon as Mairzo was released - which he shouldn't have been, certainly not to one of our rivals, certainly not just before we played them - signing a defender should have been priority number 1.

The fact that he let an experienced defender leave to one of our direct rivals in the league without replacing him is verging on the unforgivable. Of course Mair then goes on to play a key role in keeping a clean sheet for them in the game against us!

Not only is Danny actively weakening our squad, he's actively strengthening the squad of teams around us. Carey, Slater, and Mair are all going to be playing big roles in Killies, Thistles and County's run ins. All three were let go of our club while Lennon was in charge.

A proven number 9 should have replaced Parkin. Campbell is a winger and is therefore not a replacement for Parkin. We needed someone capable of playing Thommos role to take the load off his shoulders. The Bahoken experiment looks to have failed twice now and we have signed Magennis.

We have Teale and McLean coming back but we don't have any defenders coming back. As soon as Mairzo was released - which he shouldn't have been, certainly not to one of our rivals, certainly not just before we played them - signing a defender should have been priority number 1.

The fact that he let an experienced defender leave to one of our direct rivals in the league without replacing him is verging on the unforgivable. Of course Mair then goes on to play a key role in keeping a clean sheet for them against us!

Not only is Danny actively weakening our squad, he's actively strengthening the squad of teams around us. Carey, Slater, and Mair are all going to be playing big roles in Killies, Thistles and County's run ins. All three were let go of our club while Lennon was in charge.

Really? Were you at the game? If so. Did your guide dog get you home O.K.?

I've seldom seen so many Saints players having so many chances to win a football match.

Our own ineptness in front of goal led to that result. Mair could have been a cardboard cut out and would have had as much of an impact!

Shrewd, Or Inept by our B O D who knows ? You can please the odd supporter some of the time, But You cant please the rest of our Supporters, All of the Time ?

It could only be an "odd supporter" who would be happy with our January transfer dealings. An odd supporter indeed! (Copyright of TT)whistling.gif

Edited by stlucifer

The fact that he let an experienced defender leave to one of our direct rivals in the league without replacing him is verging on the unforgivable. Of course Mair then goes on to play a key role in keeping a clean sheet for them in the game against us!

So instead of signing players from EPL or top 6 Scot Prem clubs we should have signed players from the clubs struggling along with us 1eye.gif1eye.gif

A proven number 9 should have replaced Parkin.

Here we go again. Where exactly do we find a PROVEN number 9 from without going into debt to hire him?

How do we persuade a good striker to join our club when if he's THAT good he'll have everyone whoring themselves for his services?

Proof if needed that you have absolutely no idea how football clubs work in the real world and under what restrictions and difficulties.

BTW Parkin was NOT a proven number 9. He was a middling journeyman who did practically f**k all for us.

Here we go again. Where exactly do we find a PROVEN number 9 from without going into debt to hire him?

How do we persuade a good striker to join our club when if he's THAT good he'll have everyone whoring themselves for his services?

Proof if needed that you have absolutely no idea how football clubs work in the real world and under what restrictions and difficulties.

BTW Parkin was NOT a proven number 9. He was a middling journeyman who did practically f**k all for us.

Ok we should have signed a middling journeyman striker to replace Parkin, alternatively we could have offered him a new deal one that might have rivalled Exeter City's where he is pretty much the same place in the pecking order as he was here.

The outcome of not having done so is Stephen Thompson having been onfield for all but 30 minutes of the season so far.

PS - I wouldn't regard 32 appearances, including the final 15 minutes of the LC final, as practically fuck all!

Edited by Bud the Baker