Partick Thistle V St Mirren ... League Cup R3

TopCat

Last night was just abysmal. Why does Jim constantly turn and play it back to the keeper, not to mention these aimless punts out wide to Wylde. Not that it would matter if Wylde got it as he's absolutely pish. Marwood puts in a hell of a lot of effort, I'm just hoping that one day the chrysalis cracks and a footballer appears from within. McAusland, really don't care that he's one of our own...it's like being taken down with friendly fire at times. I can see the digs at McLean, but he was one of the few doing anything and the 17 long balls in a row at one point were surely under direction from Tommy. Reilly, he just doesn't have it and I don't want to be abusive or anything like that.

As for TC, he constantly batters on about how he likes to play football or what he likes to watch. It's just a shame he has absolutely no idea how to get the team playing well for anything longer than 60 seconds. "Right, James, you change with Ross...punt it! Hmmmm, Ross you change with Thomas...punt it! Thomas, change with Callum and James you come back outside...punt it! Right, hmmm, that's not working...Marc, try playing it to someone in a black and white shirt...ach, hmmm. Right, time for a re-think...Jim, Jim, constantly play it back to Kello for no f**king reason and then berate everyone who doesn't do it. Adam, listen to Jim when he's talking pish. Right, that's all sorted...punt it!"

Last night was poor but it was nowhere near as poor as the Hamilton game imo. We looked solid enough at the back until we lost the soft goal and given the defence was makeshift and changed during the game defensively we were OK last night. Going forward was a real issue though. We ended up with Reilly and Osborne playing central midfield and that seemed to encourage the succession of long diagonal balls which were hopeless. Marwood tried very hard but he doesn't appear to be able to beat a man and deliver a cross nor is he a striker so I'm not sure what we bought him for as we have wingers already. Drury looked a better RB than midfielder - decent enough cover but the squad is threadbare when you see Kelly playing RIGHT back ! As for Wylde - jesus what has heppened to him he is regressing at a rapid rate of knots. Kenny's delivery from wide and set plays was terrible all night and how did he miss an open goal with a header inside 6 yards - shocking !

We need all our best players fit and available when working with such a small squad. Take Thommo, McGinn, Plummer, and naismith out the squad and add in injuries to Teale and Drury then we are always going to struggle. That said there is a hell of a lot of filler in the squad with Reilly nowhere near good enough nor is Marwood and Wylde is as good as a man down right now. Kelly possibly deserves a shot wide left - couldn't do any worse.

Meant to add that it was funny to hear the shout of "This is shite Craig change it" and then see Craig turn round , shake his head and mouth back at the "offender" in the stand only for Craig to wait all of 20 seconds before calling in the subs and ...........er..................make a change !

I have walked out of games after being pumped silly and not felt as bad as I do tonight. Friday was a fluke and tonight we were utter crap. I have never before witnessed so many slack passes or long balls to nobody. It was that bad. Tommy your philosophy isn't working as tonight we played zero football. The strikers bar ball are woeful and Reilly well sorry but it's time up for tam. I'm bewildered as to how it's so bad I mean tonight I left wondering when our next point will be? The happy clappers can defend all they want a team that is utterly shambolic and devoid of talent. This is a team that is heading for the drop no doubt about it. At least last year we were crap but you still hoped the odd time we might nick something. This team is arguably worse that Danny lennons of 2010-11 which was so bad it was frightening . We're gubbed with this lot

Its not about the happy clappers trying to defend the team.Its more about hope over fear.Oh sorry that was so last week and we got pumped there as well.On the bright side we will be back on both counts.

For those that think the 'worst game in ages' etc. is an over reaction this is what Tommy had to say after the game.

St Mirren boss Tommy Craig: "It was an awful game; no flow to it and no class and, quite frankly, I don't think either team deserved it."

Couldn't argue with that.

Last night proved to me the danger of running with a very small squad.

We had Thommo, Plummer, McGinn, Naismith, Teale(injured early)out.

The guys we have in reserve i.e. Drury, Caldwell, Reilly etc just aren't good enough.

Only positive for me last night was Callum Ball, he put in a great shift and looks like he'll be a great asset when fully fit.

Anyone watching the Malaga v Barcelona game right is witnessing a match every bit as poor as last night. One shot so far in 75+ minutes. No one would question the quality of the players available to both those sides. Awful games happen sometimes.

Aye, but we're in the more often than not category. I'd take your arm off if we were offered a consistency level of only being awful sometimes.

So far this season we have been awful. We played well in second half last Friday but generally it's miserable . We had a team between February- April 2013 which was exciting . We never managed to build on that. Now we have a team that wouldn't be in the top four in the championship. Every time we attack we play a slack ball or the striker bar ball has a terrible touch. We have lost thommo and really our goals have dried up. For that reason and the lack of quality in the team I would be surprised if we make 10th

So far this season we have been awful. We played well in second half last Friday but generally it's miserable . We had a team between February- April 2013 which was exciting . We never managed to build on that. Now we have a team that wouldn't be in the top four in the championship. Every time we attack we play a slack ball or the striker bar ball has a terrible touch. We have lost thommo and really our goals have dried up. For that reason and the lack of quality in the team I would be surprised if we make 10th

Feb - April 13?

In those months we played 11 league games. We won 1, drew 6 and lost 4.

We also won 2 cup games, and lost 1.

3 wins from 14 games in this exciting period you cite. This current team has 2 wins from 9 games. Not great certainly, but on course to match this cherry picked exciting period of yours.

Edited by TopCat