Transfer News

Only free agents like EDD or Mo Camera - that market is very much more miss than hit.

We have 2 CH's (assuming that's where JG wants to play) and 1 defensive midfielder who is semi-crocked to cover three positions that have to be filled every match, the chances of us being able to field all three in each of the remaining 13 games is practically zero. None of the existing options within the club have been successful on the park or deemed viable by either of our managers so if we don't sign a player today as cover (or even as first choice) then our chances of avoiding relegation are greatly increased.

Tess has played centre half at this level numerous times in his career, for us and Kilmarnock. Naismith is also capable of playing there, and we have young Baird incase of emergencies.

I will be surprised if we sign a centre half.

Tess has played centre half at this level numerous times in his career, for us and Kilmarnock. Naismith is also capable of playing there, and we have young Baird incase of emergencies.

I will be surprised if we sign a centre half.

That's what we were saying over the summer, Mo Yaqub & even Sean Kelly were mentioned as being capable of playing at CH too, yet despite having all these options and McAusland (currently on 9 bookings) being in mediocre form for the bulk of this season he's (McAusland) been an automatic pick when available.

With JG at CH we have no-one capable of covering Osbourne when he's unfit. Goodwin-McAusland-Osbourne are our defensive triangle and to repeat myself the chances of all three being available for each of our remaining 13 games are virtually zero. We don't need to sign a CH (it could be another defensive midfielder) but we certainly need cover that is better than "last resort" for this area.

Edited by Bud the Baker

That's what we were saying over the summer, Mo Yaqub & even Sean Kelly were mentioned as being capable of playing at CH too, yet despite having all these options and McAusland (currently on 9 bookings) being in mediocre form for the bulk of this season he's (McAusland) been an automatic pick when available.

With JG at CH we have no-one capable of covering Osbourne when he's unfit. Goodwin-McAusland-Osbourne are our defensive triangle and to repeat myself the chances of all three being available for each of our remaining 13 games is virtually zero. We don't need to sign a CH (it could be another defensive midfielder) but we certainly need cover that is better than "last resort" for this area.

McAusland's played very well recently and was outstanding on Friday.

McGinn and Mallan are able and have played where Osbourne does. I do agree we could do with another midfielder certainly, someone in the NEWTONNNN mould who can cover a variety of positions.

I expect and hope that will be the priority and not a centre half.

McAusland's played very well recently and was outstanding on Friday.

McGinn and Mallan are able and have played where Osbourne does. I do agree we could do with another midfielder certainly, someone in the NEWTONNNN mould who can cover a variety of positions.

I expect and hope that will be the priority and not a centre half.

Was that in the game vs Dundee where everyone said McGinn played one of his worst ever games for Saints?

They're not natural DMs, anyone can see that. We are measurably worse when we have no DM in the side.

With Cheesey only 1 booking away from a suspension, GT will need to have some sort of Plan B that he's been working on. I'd like to see Naismith given a chance in there. He's had a bit of criticism recently about his inability to track back quickly enough. If he's playing at CH then that won't be a problem (unless you are Kirk Broadfoot or Darren McGregor in his first season)

Was that in the game vs Dundee where everyone said McGinn played one of his worst ever games for Saints?

They're not natural DMs, anyone can see that. We are measurably worse when we have no DM in the side.

Well McGinn has played a deep midfield role for the majority of his Saints career. Most memorably in the semi final and final of the league cup.

But I agree, we do need a midfielder. My original point was that we need a midfielder more than we need a central defender.

I'll give you the semi final, but we were horrendously over-run in the first half hour of that final, and then again in the last 15/20 minutes. IIRC, didn't we switch to a nominal 4-4-2, with McGinn pushed wider, Gowser sitting deeper, and Isma closer to Thommo, that forced the improvement from 30 mins onwards?

Edited by Magic Monkey

With Cheesey only 1 booking away from a suspension, GT will need to have some sort of Plan B that he's been working on. I'd like to see Naismith given a chance in there. He's had a bit of criticism recently about his inability to track back quickly enough. If he's playing at CH then that won't be a problem (unless you are Kirk Broadfoot or Darren McGregor in his first season)

Who would play right back then.

Regardless what Lex says we need a couple of defenders in

Now we have got rid of our biggest goal threat for peanuts someone to replace his goals