Sean Kelly

I don't like singling out individual players for criticism but after yesterday I have no option. Last season Sean came into the first team and showed promise and was given the benefit of the doubt during games as he lacked experience. This season IMO he has not progressed infact he's gone backwards. He lacks pace, poor in the tackle and for his stature he is brushed aside especially in the air. Teams now know that a high ball in an attacking area which Sean should be defending will almost certainly result in a goal or a goal scoring chance being created. Sorry guys we must remove this young boy from our team for his and the teams sake immediately.

I don't like singling out individual players for criticism but after yesterday I have no option. Last season Sean came into the first team and showed promise and was given the benefit of the doubt during games as he lacked experience. This season IMO he has not progressed infact he's gone backwards. He lacks pace, poor in the tackle and for his stature he is brushed aside especially in the air. Teams now know that a high ball in an attacking area which Sean should be defending will almost certainly result in a goal or a goal scoring chance being created. Sorry guys we must remove this young boy from our team for his and the teams sake immediately.

You had the option to not pick on a young playerin a poorteam

you didn't take it-says more about you than it does about Sean

Apparently you don't like it but will do it anyway, and you do have an option, he is a far better player than marc mcausland, so should marc be removed first ?

Edited by buddiecat

Sean's been good at left mid this season. In Dingwall particularly, he scored one and set up the other.

Sadly he seems to have forgotten how to play left back and he had a terrible game yesterday.

Get Tess at left back next week and get Sean back to left mid.

I don't like singling out individual players for criticism

If ever there was a reason to bring back the red dot system, this post is a prime example! Sean has had some good games and some bad games, however, I don't think he has hidden in any game and continues to try, even when played in his less preferred position. FFS, he is a young lad still learning his trade and gives more effort than some of his established, older team-mates, so cut him some slack.

My initial post has obviously not gone down well with some others. I appreciate young players must be given more leeway than older team mates. But, in this case it has become the "elephant in the room" , we can see the boy this season is out of his depth, but let's continue and hope it comes good.

Sean is a good player, but is definitely struggling this season. Agree with TopCat in that he's played a lot better further forward.

Defensively, both full backs (Tess aside) have been really poor this season. So what's changed from last season? Have to consider the change in management as a factor.

I think we'd be better keeping Tess in at left back. Can't really do much about Naismith, as he's our only right back (hint hint Teale).

Edited by ulysses

I think Kelly needs some time on the bench!

With any young player you get inconsistent periods during a season given the fact that Kelly has had to work under 3 manager's in a year in a half!

I think it's easy to see why Kelly and Naismiths form has not been as good!

Tess is our best option at Left back so play him there!

We have options in Midfield now so lets see what they have got!

I don't really rate Kelly at left mid if im honest and as much as I don't like saying this in the position we are in I don't think we can give him a break and keep him in the starting line up!

My initial post has obviously not gone down well with some others. I appreciate young players must be given more leeway than older team mates. But, in this case it has become the "elephant in the room" , we can see the boy this season is out of his depth, but let's continue and hope it comes good.

I totally agree with you. Kelly is a young guy just starting his career and I would love to say he is great, but the honest truth is that he isn't good enough at this level and we can little afford to carry passengers.

Don't wish anything but the best for the boy, but he doesn't have it.

Sean is a good player, but is definitely struggling this season. Agree with TopCat in that he's played a lot better further forward.

Defensively, both full backs (Tess aside) have been really poor this season. So what's changed from last season? Have to consider the change in management as a factor.

I think we'd be better keeping Tess in at left back. Can't really do much about Naismith, as he's our only right back (hint hint Teale).

Darren McGregor moved to Rangers. It's as simple as that. McAusland and Goodwin have more than enough problems with their own game than to talk two kids through their matches. Talk to anyone who has played at a decent level as a defender and they'll tell you how much easier your game becomes when you've got a quality centre half beside you who can read the game for you.

Anyway I've watched the clips of the goals. The first one has a number of issues. For the initial corner why did Rooney have so much space in the 6 yard box to win his header? Where was his marker Jim Goodwin? He was on his arse after Rooney ran past him and Goodwin failed in an attempt to grab him as he passed. Then when the ball goes back outside to Kenny McLean only one St Mirren player closes him down - Naismith. Where's the doubling up to limit the space? Watch also when the ball comes back in. Who the hell is picking up anyone in that area. Goodwin clearly feels his job is to mark Rooney as he's lost him, chases after him, pushes him and then promptly loses him again. Kelly is left picking up two players on the back post. McAusland has no-one and rather than looking to mark up he's busy pointing at the Aberdeen number 10 who's got himself acres of unmarked space. And you've got three defending St Mirren players - centred by Arquin - who are embarrassingly static neither defending the area nor marking opposition players. Maybe if Kelly had managed to jump a bit higher the goal would have been prevented but to blame him for the defensive shambles at that goal is more than a bit harsh.

Goal 2 - Naismith is again left one on one with McGinn. There's no doubling up and no tracking back from the right midfielder. When McGinn then, inevitably, beats him and crosses Kelly is caught flat footed and is beaten in the air, then Tessalaar misses his header and then McAusland, who's got all of the play developing right in front of him, fails to react to Tessalaars mistake and Rooney's able to split the one yard or so gap between the two centre halves to score easily.

Goal 3 - Is Kellys fault. Can't defend him.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Is this the young lad that played left back against ICT?

If so then yes on the face of 90 mins that i saw he didn't look great, however not only is it hard to judge on just 90 mins, but even harder to judge when he is playing in a team that performed so badly with such a low tempo, no protection and no movement from midfield.

Problems run deeper than one young kid at the start of his career.

I think this is a tad harsh on the young lad but the goals conceded on Saturday were very poor. He could be blamed in part of all 3 goals but our defence has looked all over the place at times this season but I don't think Kelly has played at left back that often this season, probably only over a handful of times so during the course of a full season I think the problems lie a lot deeper than young Sean and have been visible at our club for a few years now.

Yes Kelly did not play well but who did.I have just watched Alba coverage.By God Aberdeen did not have to work hard.Team was an utter disgrace.No pride no passion and just hopeless.We need a radical rethink for Saturday.We need someone in charge who can formulate a team shape and kick arses.Do our Board actually care?