Would You Agree?

beyond our ken

To give this thread some 'serious' consideration....

I never knew that there could be a 'best of' Prog Rock.

best... jings.

However, as someone noted for being non-judgemental, I had a look at the list. :rolleyes:

I'd bought one. Dark Side of the Moon.

We seem to have another on the shelves - the Tubular Bells.

I didnae even know they were Prog Rock...

To give this thread some 'serious' consideration....

I never knew that there could be a 'best of' Prog Rock.

best... jings.

However, as someone noted for being non-judgemental, I had a look at the list. :rolleyes:

I'd bought one. Dark Side of the Moon.

We seem to have another on the shelves - the Tubular Bells.

I didnae even know they were Prog Rock...

Just a label encompassing symphonic/classical/art rock and other styles that are mainly non commercial/chart pop music style. There is a huge amount of superb music from around the world which is not 20 minute guitar solos, is melodic and, given greater exposure in the media, would be appreciated by a lot more people.

Edited by nedflanders123

I own 11 of the 50. The Rush, Yes, Floyd and Genesis ones. Unless I missed it by scrolling too quickly, it seems 'A Trick of the Tail' by Genesis isn't included in the Top 50. I find that puzzling, a brilliant album. Could make a case for their 'Wind and Wuthering' album too. Opinions, opinions.

I own 11 of the 50. The Rush, Yes, Floyd and Genesis ones. Unless I missed it by scrolling too quickly, it seems 'A Trick of the Tail' by Genesis isn't included in the Top 50. I find that puzzling, a brilliant album. Could make a case for their 'Wind and Wuthering' album too. Opinions, opinions.

You could make a case for both trick of the tail and also then there were three. Both brilliant albums.

i think it is definitely a weird list, (Supertramp? Kansas? Rennaisance??)

No tommy or quadrophenia? and many Tullies prefer Aqualung to TAAB. Eldorado is there but I think ELO's last proggie-poppy album (face the music) edges it. and no Alan Parsons either.

and yellow magic orchestra are missing

I suppose it is all subjective

i think it is definitely a weird list, (Supertramp? Kansas? Rennaisance??)

No tommy or quadrophenia? and many Tullies prefer Aqualung to TAAB. Eldorado is there but I think ELO's last proggie-poppy album (face the music) edges it. and no Alan Parsons either.

and yellow magic orchestra are missing

I suppose it is all subjective

'Moving Pictures' by Rush is questionable, given that by then the band were moving in a different direction from the likes of '2112'.

These lists are always the same.

This list is similar to that in the Prog Rock Archives where IIRC ATthT is just outside the Top 50. Seems pretty uncontroversial to me although I'd kick out the Van Der Graff Generator (whom I could never get into) albums and replace them with ones by Gentle Giant.

Some good stuff in this list plus some wilfully obscure and a few controversial choices for good measure e.g. Meshuggah (seriously, who could listen to a whole album of that without a tea break?) and Tool -occasonally great if highly repetitive and essentially one trick ponies, but no way are they prog - there has to be some actual 'progression'. Top ten is no a bad stab. Of course it's all largely subjective e.g. I'd say Moving Pictures is hardly a prog album unlike their last great album, Hemispheres. I'm personally glad Radiohead don't feature, miserable, desperately trying to be different. I'd probably love them if I was 30 and not 50 though. And where's Bo Hansson's Sagan Om Ringen? Must close this novella by saying RIP Chris Squire. I learned bass because of him and 30 odd years later I've not heard many more accomplished players.

Edited by Barney63