Farewell David Bowie

saintstu

I understand the blanket TV coverage. I understand the programmes looking back at his legacy. I will understand the inevitable re-releasing of his catalogue and folk deciding to go out and buy a Bowie CD or two. I can understand people perhaps shedding a tear and feeling gutted if Bowie was their favourite artist and they'd grown up with his soundtrack in their lives.

The carpets of flowers and candles, the whole Diana shite... Get a fcuking grip.

Edited by pozbaird

I understand the blanket TV coverage. I understand the programmes looking back at his legacy. I will understand the inevitable re-releasing of his catalogue and folk deciding to go out and buy a Bowie CD or two. I can understand people perhaps shedding a tear and feeling gutted if Bowie was their favourite artist and they'd grown up with his soundtrack in their lives.

The carpets of flowers and candles, the whole Diana shite... Get a fcuking grip.

I went to the pub last night and stuck six Bowie songs on the jukebox. Was that being a bit over the top do you think...?

So, in summary....

It is sad that he has died, but people die.... that's, er, life.

It was a bit of a shock, and this will go some way towards explaining the extent of the reaction.

Many of us enjoyed his music, and associate it with elements and periods of our lives. It meant something to us, so it follows that his death might also.

Most of us acknowledge his influence in terms of popular music and culture over a span of five decades.

Lighting candles, wailing and greeting is a bit OTT, but at least he bloody contributed something tangible, which is more than can be said for Princess Diana, the Queen Mother etc....

Edited by Drew

Guest TPAFKATS

Was in Morrisons this morning, every 2nd song over the tannoy was a Bowie classic and they only made 'now on aisle 12' sales announcements during the in-between songs. Nice touch I thought...

Slightly off topic, I was I morrisons on Sunday and they were playing Happy Mondays.

Luckily I was pushing a trolley so managed to disguise the bez dancing...I think!

Just had a thought. When Bowie released the classic first hit 'Space Oddity', it was 1969, right? In 1969 I was 8 years old and running around with snot streaming from my nose playing cowboys and indians. Pele and 'Brazil 1970' hadn't even happened. The bloke died in 2016 and just released another critically acclaimed, relevant, meaningful album. I am now a 54 year old who has been around long enough to see Brazil 1970, Germany 1974, Argentina 1978, Spain 1982, Mexico 1986, Italy 1990, USA 1994, France 1998, Japan/Korea 2002, Germany 2006, South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014.

FFS. He deserves the tributes and TV programmes about him alright.

Jean Genie first single I bought, Menzies at the Cenotaph? Memory not what it was. But definitely set me up for a metallic path. He was pretty good. Awesome in patches. I'd argue there isn't a single consistently great album in the canon, there are one or more clunkers on just about every album in the cold light of day, but it is a hell of a portfolio. Those of us more contemporary with Bowie would recognise he was never an innovator per se, but instead the consummate assimilator, identifying the coming thing and taking it to another level of art. That said, for me it's hard to take anyone who recorded The Laughing Gnome entirely seriously, though perhaps he'd enjoy that. Will play some Bowie loud tonight.

Jean Genie first single I bought, Menzies at the Cenotaph? Memory not what it was. But definitely set me up for a metallic path. He was pretty good. Awesome in patches. I'd argue there isn't a single consistently great album in the canon, there are one or more clunkers on just about every album in the cold light of day, but it is a hell of a portfolio. Those of us more contemporary with Bowie would recognise he was never an innovator per se, but instead the consummate assimilator, identifying the coming thing and taking it to another level of art. That said, for me it's hard to take anyone who recorded The Laughing Gnome entirely seriously, though perhaps he'd enjoy that. Will play some Bowie loud tonight.

I'd argue against that. There are absolutely no clunkers whatsoever on Station to Station or Diamond Dogs. On Hunky Dory one may argue that Fill Your Heart is such a one but to me that's a tongue-in-cheek piece of good humour that harks back to the likes of Anthony Newley, who was a bit of an influence on Bowie. As for Low, avant garde in the extreme and not to everyone's taste but every piece of music is a gem as far as I'm concerned.

An assimilator rather than an innovator? Well, you could debate that for a long time. As for the Laughing Gnome yeah perhaps he wouldn't want folk to take him entirely seriously. I mean, come on; from a man who wrote the line like "Time falls wanking to the floor" what do you expect?

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

HMV in Braehead today - new displays of Bowie CDs for sale that weren't there last week.... Understandable.

HMV in Braehead today - no-one had placed flowers or left a badly drawn image of Ziggy Stardust in front of the David Bowie section of 'rock & pop' CDs.... What is wrong with the people of Scotland? Does no-one care?

HMV in Braehead today - new displays of Bowie CDs for sale that weren't there last week.... Understandable.

HMV in Braehead today - no-one had placed flowers or left a badly drawn image of Ziggy Stardust in front of the David Bowie section of 'rock & pop' CDs.... What is wrong with the people of Scotland? Does no-one care?

They're too busy heading to LA to lay flowers at the Nakatomi Plaza.