Farewell David Bowie

saintstu

I liked Bowie... Respected him... Enjoyed much of his music.

He was innovative, creative and talented.

But am I alone in being a tad uncomfortable at the near public hysteria following his sad death?

Seems to be the modern way... lady Di... Michael Jackson... and now David Bowie.

Totally respect him... but just not comfortable with the mass hysteria.

Can't agree on this occasion, Brian. I think it is hard to overestimate his contribution to music, culture, and style across five decades. Compare the contribution of, to use one of your examples, Princess Diana. Now that was mass hysteria, with, in my view, very little justification.

I know you love your music, Brian, as do I. Bowie's influence is huge, and crosses genres and eras. You'll hear a bit of Bowie in so many tracks, by so many artists.

I grew up with Bowie's music, though was never a superfan, and could dip in and out. A week doesn't go by without me thrashing out a couple of his songs on guitar. I think people are shocked today, and this explains much of the reaction and the extent to which there has been something of an outpouring.

Can't agree on this occasion, Brian. I think it is hard to overestimate his contribution to music, culture, and style across five decades. Compare the contribution of, to use one of your examples, Princess Diana. Now that was mass hysteria, with, in my view, very little justification.

I know you love your music, Brian, as do I. Bowie's influence is huge, and crosses genres and eras. You'll hear a bit of Bowie in so many tracks, by so many artists.

I grew up with Bowie's music, though was never a superfan, and could dip in and out. A week doesn't go by without me thrashing out a couple of his songs on guitar. I think people are shocked today, and this explains much of the reaction and the extent to which there has been something of an outpouring.

Agree. The guy was just such a huge influence in so many areas, globally, for such a long time. The other thing is that to all intents and purposes it came as such a shock this morning, as his new album had just came out, and the family had kept his illness a secret. I can only guess, but this level of reaction would only have been duplicated had it been Paul McCartney, possibly Mick Jagger, but not Elton John, although he would also be deserving of much retrospective appreciation.

Once Elton, Macca, and Jagger go... who will that leave at such a 'Premier League' level for a British 'pop' artist?

Bowie was a legend and his music will live long after everyone on this forum is gone. I love his music and the new album is great... i understand the public reaction because he was an iconic performer who appealed to fans across the generations, which is some achievement. I was speaking to a friend recently about him just after Lemmy died and i remarked that he didn't look well at all, but i didn't expect him to die quite so soon. I think to continue to make a fantastic album while obviously very ill speaks volumes about the man. I will continue to listen to his music as i always have and have just purchased a ticket for a Bowie tribute band that I've seen several times. RIP David.

From Charlie Burchill, then Jim Kerr, Simple Minds....

Can't believe the sad news that David Bowie died, it's still too much to take in. I was playing the album yesterday, thinking of how bold and how beautiful Dark Star is. Probably the biggest musical influence in my life has gone, but left so much behind. I couldn't begin to measure the musical debt owed to this amazing man, and above all I believe he would have been a great guy too. As Jim mentioned we had the pleasure to sing BV's with him on an IGGY POP album but we never really got to know him (it's better that way). There's not many days go by when I don't think of DB, if I pick up a guitar I usually think of him or play one of his songs as that is how i learned to play, Such beautiful haunting acoustic 12 string tracks (AFTER ALL, ALL THE MADMEN, SPACE ODDITY, LETTER TO HERMIONE, CYGNET COMMITEE, ROCK'N'ROLL SUICIDE, ANDY WARHOL, QUICKSAND - they go on and on. Something has gone but he's still very much here, CB x

We owe so much to David Bowie. Firstly as fans who were entertained vastly by his immense talent, but even more so as artists who looked to Bowie as a guideline to the possibilities of what could be done with pop music and the art of songwriting.

Inspiring us from our earliest days - our name 'Simple Minds' was taken from a Bowie lyric - he continues to inspires us today, as we work on our 18th album.

All the while referencing his catalogue as we create our own.

One of our best career memories, and a proud day, was when we got to record with David Bowie at Rockfield studios in 1979.

No one had a camera to record that moment, but the memory of it will last forever for us.

As indeed will the legacy of David Bowie and all that he created.

Jim Kerr

Wouldn't say there's been mass hysteria. Seems a similar amount of coverage to when John Lennon was killed. The whole 'carpet of flowers' thing outside the Bowie mural in Brixton can, in my humble opinion, be explained in great part by many people wanting to try and get their mugs on the telly.

Aye, this sort of thing I always find a bit odd. Fair enough folk paying tribute online (that's what it's there for after all) and the reaction in the media, but strangers laying flowers seems weird to me. For example, when Robin Williams died a few years back some folk laid flowers at a house in Dumfries with connections to Peter Pan.

Aye, this sort of thing I always find a bit odd. Fair enough folk paying tribute online (that's what it's there for after all) and the reaction in the media, but strangers laying flowers seems weird to me. For example, when Robin Williams died a few years back some folk laid flowers at a house in Dumfries with connections to Peter Pan.

If we get relegated again, I'm laying flowers at the Bull Inn.

Just watched the hastily-sewn-together BBC tribute. That DJ wummin' Lauren Laverne... FFS. 'We've lost a leader, someone we needed to show us how to live our lives in this modern world. Someone to lead us. What are we going to do now?'

I know exactly what you should do hen... Away and fcuk yer'sel!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9mfZbTFbk

Ach that kind of shit was always going to happen. Bowie hasn't been a leader in the music industry for over 20 years. You can tell too - some of the shit that they pass off as music these days is f**king awful.

Aye, Tin Machine were indeed baws. I didn't like the Let's Dance/China Girl era either. Certainly a mixed bag, but plenty to pick from.

Bowie asked Nile Rogers to produce the Let's Dance album. Nile in his autobiography wrote David only had a mush mash of sounds to work on there were no clear cut tracks. It freaked Rogers out but he felt he could not walk out on a star he looked up to. Rogers drafted in the rest of the Chic musicians to get things fixed. Rogers more or less wrote and played China Girls listen to the the track closely you will hear the guitar of Rogers. Bowie openly admits it was his least creative period in music. Whether it was liked or not it was Bowie biggest selling album while the three singles from the album were also his biggest selling in his career. I like his early stuff the best. Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Some of his music was a bit hit and miss for me. For every classic like Ziggy Stardust and Man Who Stole The World there was a Jean Genie or a Tin Machine.

My earliest memories of him when I was growing up was my teacher in Primary 5 bringing in the record "Peter and the Wolf" which he narrated. It was the first time one of my teachers had played music in class. We were all to sit in silence with our eyes closed. I think I got about half way through before falling asleep. The other one was of him being the guy who was responsible for The Laughing Gnome track that Tony Blackburn used to play every single Saturday morning on his radio show - while "Arnold" barked all the way through it.

There's no doubt he was a massive influence on music at the time though. It was the Bowie Nights at Billys Nightclub and Blitz in Soho that inspired a generation of acts like Visage, Culture Club, Spandau Ballet, Marilyn, and Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

You think Jean Genie was shite

That riff alone was Glam Rock

Bowie asked Nile Rogers to produce the Let's Dance album. Nile in his autobiography wrote David only had a mush mash of sounds to work on there were no clear cut tracks. It freaked Rogers out but he felt he could not walk out on a star he looked up to. Rogers drafted in the rest of the Chic musicians to get things fixed. Rogers more or less wrote and played China Girls listen to the the track closely you will hear the guitar of Rogers. Bowie openly admits it was his least creative period in music. Whether it was liked or not it was Bowie biggest selling album while the three singles from the album were also his biggest selling in his career. I like his early stuff the best.

Of course. It is purely subjective and a matter of personal taste.

The point I was making was that his diverse output and versatility meant that there was plenty to choose from for all manner of tastes. That was one of his great strengths.

You think Jean Genie was shite

That riff alone was Glam Rock

Thought I'd misread his post yesterday, glad I wasn't the only one who spotted it!

And at the risk of going off on a ridiculous tangent, Nile Rogers and Chic were outstanding when I saw them at Wickerman a few years ago. Why on earth Primal Scream and Amy Macdonald were headlining instead is a mystery.

Thought I'd misread his post yesterday, glad I wasn't the only one who spotted it!

And at the risk of going off on a ridiculous tangent, Nile Rogers and Chic were outstanding when I saw them at Wickerman a few years ago. Why on earth Primal Scream and Amy Macdonald were headlining instead is a mystery.

Stuart Nile Rogers autobiography is a fantastic read if you have not yet done so.

Nice little tribute on Facebook yesterday (daughter showed me) of the resident organist at Kelvingrove playing Life on Mars during the daily organ recital. Perhaps somebody can post the link.

Edited to add: Just been told it's on an individual account not Kelvingrove's account.

Edited to add: This is the link https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203940174905208

Edited by rabuddies

Just watched the hastily-sewn-together BBC tribute. That DJ wummin' Lauren Laverne... FFS. 'We've lost a leader, someone we needed to show us how to live our lives in this modern world. Someone to lead us. What are we going to do now?'

I know exactly what you should do hen... Away and fcuk yer'sel!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9mfZbTFbk

I must admit I nearly boaked when I heard that yesterday, then again when she read out an e-mail (choked with emotion) from someone who claimed to be "a massive Bowie fan since 2002"

I must admit I nearly boaked when I heard that yesterday, then again when she read out an e-mail (choked with emotion) from someone who claimed to be "a massive Bowie fan since 2002"

Ach, nothing compared to the emotion displayed by Paulo Nutini and Gerard Butler when they declared their lifelong love for ra' Sellik.

Nice little tribute on Facebook yesterday (daughter showed me) of the resident organist at Kelvingrove playing Life on Mars during the daily organ recital. Perhaps somebody can post the link.

Edited to add: Just been told it's on an individual account not Kelvingrove's account.

Edited to add: This is the link https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203940174905208

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35292054

Being the perfect age for a Bowie fan - I was 12 when i saw him doing that performance of starman on TOTP, been a fan ever since. survived the shit decade (82-92), the non existent decade (03-13), revelled in the glory years (all the rest) amazed at the quality of "The Next Day" since I'd assumed he retired 10 years earlier, loved "Blackstar" though I feel a bit mean now complaining it only had 7 tracks, saw his Isolar tour (appollo) and his serious moonlight tour (murrayfied).

So far the tribute shows have been a bit poor, though the bbc's 5 years documentary is definitely worth watching, but not new, hopefully somebody will do a worthwhile one now (BBC4 maybe).

I have never understood the public outpourings of grief when somebody famous dies, if you don't know them personally why ??? If any public figure would have made me change my view, it would've been Bowie, my view hasn't changed though selfishly I'm sad that somebody I have relied on to provide me with the music I love is no longer around to do so.

Being the perfect age for a Bowie fan - I was 12 when i saw him doing that performance of starman on TOTP, been a fan ever since. survived the shit decade (82-92), the non existent decade (03-13), revelled in the glory years (all the rest) amazed at the quality of "The Next Day" since I'd assumed he retired 10 years earlier, loved "Blackstar" though I feel a bit mean now complaining it only had 7 tracks, saw his Isolar tour (appollo) and his serious moonlight tour (murrayfied).

So far the tribute shows have been a bit poor, though the bbc's 5 years documentary is definitely worth watching, but not new, hopefully somebody will do a worthwhile one now (BBC4 maybe).

I have never understood the public outpourings of grief when somebody famous dies, if you don't know them personally why ??? If any public figure would have made me change my view, it would've been Bowie, my view hasn't changed though selfishly I'm sad that somebody I have relied on to provide me with the music I love is no longer around to do so.

Yep not into the Diana type mass grieving. The underlined part sums it up for me too, same for Lemmy from Motorhead.