The Politics Thread

shull

25 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

As an aside. I see STV are celebrating black actors in British TV ATM. I wonder what sort of outcry there would be if they decide to celebrate only white actors.

17 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

When is White History Month?

I cannot help but think that identity politics is deliberately pushed in order to foster resentment and divide society. Whether it's 'positive' racial, gender* or LGBT discrimination, it seems to irritate a lot of people. I have had lots of relatives, friends and even colleagues who have bemoaned the over-representation of black people, in particular, in television adverts.

I am a 'conspiracy theorist' in that I do not think the world is run for the benefit of the majority of people; it never has been. Indeed, I would go so far as to say 'dark forces' control the planet (the likes of Bilderberg, Bohemian Grove, Skull & Bones and (the upper echelons) of Freemasonry are not benign drinking clubs, IMHO) and they have nefarious aims. I do not care if I sound crazy, but that is my opinion after many years of casual investigation. Think I'm being foolish? Machiavelli's The Prince was published in the 16th century! 

*I know there's supposed to be a difference between sex and gender, btw.

35 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

As an aside. I see STV are celebrating black actors in British TV ATM. I wonder what sort of outcry there would be if they decide to celebrate only white actors.

I've never understood why any "group" that feels marginalised tries to get "equality" by singling themselves out.  To me, the whole thing should be about inclusivity, avoiding labels, not pointing out differences.

30 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Exactly. Why shouldn't there be such a thing? Positive discrimination is still discrimination.

You are right

You, Scott and everyone who never got off their arse to set it up are horribly discriminatory 

you do realise it was set up by black people who felt their history needed wider appreciation and they wouldn’t necessarily have thought about other skin hues?

Thought not!

1 minute ago, Slarti said:

I've never understood why any "group" that feels marginalised tries to get "equality" by singling themselves out.  To me, the whole thing should be about inclusivity, avoiding labels, not pointing out differences.

To be fair, often the concept and implementation of the idea may well not have come from that community. I recall a Muslim being quite angry by an anonymous source at a council who claimed that Muslims found the term Christmas offensive. He said that was nonsense. Jesus, of course, is a highly regarded prophet in Islam.

2 minutes ago, W6er said:

I cannot help but think that identity politics is deliberately pushed in order to foster resentment and divide society. Whether it's 'positive' racial, gender* or LGBT discrimination, it seems to irritate a lot of people. I have had lots of relatives, friends and even colleagues who have bemoaned the over-representation of black people, in particular, in television adverts.

I am a 'conspiracy theorist' in that I do not think the world is run for the benefit of the majority of people; it never has been. Indeed, I would go so far as to say 'dark forces' control the planet (the likes of Bilderberg, Bohemian Grove, Skull & Bones and (the upper echelons) of Freemasonry are not benign drinking clubs, IMHO) and they have nefarious aims. I do not care if I sound crazy, but that is my opinion after many years of casual investigation. Think I'm being foolish? Machiavelli's The Prince was published in the 16th century! 

*I know there's supposed to be a difference between sex and gender, btw.

The world has always been run for the benefit of "the few".  Their way of control is to convince enough people that if they work hard enough/earn enough that they too can become one of "the few".  Which would obviously make them "the many", not "the few" - and "the few" don't really want that.

4 minutes ago, Slarti said:

The world has always been run for the benefit of "the few".  Their way of control is to convince enough people that if they work hard enough/earn enough that they too can become one of "the few".  Which would obviously make them "the many", not "the few" - and "the few" don't really want that.

I would say that meritocracy is a relatively recent concept. Serfdom was only abolished ~500 years ago. Certainly the English had quite a rigid class system until last century, too. The idea that you can rise to the top is quite new.

Perhaps that's why modern elites have to resort to more underhand methods. A united people is surely more dangerous than a fractured society?

3 hours ago, W6er said:

I would say that meritocracy is a relatively recent concept. Serfdom was only abolished ~500 years ago. Certainly the English had quite a rigid class system until last century, too. The idea that you can rise to the top is quite new.

Perhaps that's why modern elites have to resort to more underhand methods. A united people is surely more dangerous than a fractured society?

Meritocracy, my friend played a large part in the life of ancient Rome, while the social structure of  Rome was largely based on birth and social class, the military, which played a huge part in Roman society, provided many opportunities for individuals, regardless of social class or background to rise through the ranks; based simply on the capabilities, significant military achievements often resulted in honours and promotions, showcasing the potential for meritocratic advancement in the Roman Empire.  So, perhaps not such a recent concept after all?  2000 plus years ago at a minimum.

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Interesting point, however the question should be why we don’t have a Chinese history month or Indian history month. Both these minority ethnic groups have contributed to British history and culture. Why black history month?  

Given that there now seems to be a purge on the falsehoods and fantasy of some black history myths ( beachy head lady) it will hopefully lead to the real black history being promoted (see below). I find it difficult living in a post truth culture and hope that good old fashioned rationality and objectivity returns soon.

054436B1-923D-4B89-AA2D-F5791D23C913.jpeg

Interesting point, however the question should be why we don’t have a Chinese history month or Indian history month. Both these minority ethnic groups have contributed to British history and culture. Why black history month?  
Ginger history month?

5'2" brunette history month?

Shetland pony history month?

Given that there now seems to be a purge on the falsehoods and fantasy of some black history myths ( beachy head lady) it will hopefully lead to the real black history being promoted (see below). I find it difficult living in a post truth culture and hope that good old fashioned rationality and objectivity returns soon.
054436B1-923D-4B89-AA2D-F5791D23C913.thumb.jpeg.e7ca941c3ebb72482e44eb004b6e4a07.jpeg
Why emphasise their skin colour? You don't get inclusiveness and equality by saying "look at me, I'm different" (or "look at them, they're different").

2 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Why emphasise their skin colour? You don't get inclusiveness and equality by saying "look at me, I'm different" (or "look at them, they're different").

Indeed, why emphasis skin colour of a group of people every October ? I don’t know the answer, as far as I can see it’s been imported from the states. The article doing the rounds today about a poll that highlights that the majority of the U.K. population can’t name famous black people from history is a good example. I have to agree with a comment from W6er in a earlier post, there appears to be a concerted effort to divide people in the U.K. via identity politics, I don’t believe it’s a conspiracy (masons, aluminati etc) but it may well be propagated by China or Russia. 

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

Meritocracy, my friend played a large part in the life of ancient Rome, while the social structure of  Rome was largely based on birth and social class, the military, which played a huge part in Roman society, provided many opportunities for individuals, regardless of social class or background to rise through the ranks; based simply on the capabilities, significant military achievements often resulted in honours and promotions, showcasing the potential for meritocratic advancement in the Roman Empire.  So, perhaps not such a recent concept after all?  2000 plus years ago at a minimum.

Really? I find it somewhat difficult to consider a society that practised slavery to be described as 'meritocratic':

Under Roman law, enslaved people had no personal rights and were regarded as the property of their masters. They could be bought, sold, and mistreated at will and were unable to own property, enter into a contract, or legally marry.

Source: https://www.britishmuseum.org/exhibitions/nero-man-behind-myth/slavery-ancient-rome

If you were born a slave, into the above circumstances, I find it difficult to believe that you can rise to the top.

Even supposing you're correct, there was a long hiatus of more than 1,000 years before it was reestablished. 

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Indeed, why emphasis skin colour of a group of people every October ? I don’t know the answer, as far as I can see it’s been imported from the states. The article doing the rounds today about a poll that highlights that the majority of the U.K. population can’t name famous black people from history is a good example. I have to agree with a comment from W6er in a earlier post, there appears to be a concerted effort to divide people in the U.K. via identity politics, I don’t believe it’s a conspiracy (masons, aluminati etc) but it may well be propagated by China or Russia. 

People never do! 

Elizabeth II: “There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”

The Queen ‘warned butler to beware of dark forces at work’

PAUL BURRELL claimed last night that the Queen warned him that there were dark forces at work in Britain that could threaten him.

The former butler said the warning was issued during a three-hour meeting soon after the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, in 1997. He said the Queen looked him in the eye and said: “There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”

Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-queen-warned-butler-to-beware-of-dark-forces-at-work-llkblq8cs62 (need to remove paywall)

Once Labour started to have influence in Westminster, a new Masonic Lodge was created especially for them. I suggest that was likely so that back room deals could be done and people could be influenced 'in the shadows':

The New Welcome Lodge, No. 5139, is a British Masonic Lodge open to all men working in the Palace of Westminster. At its founding, membership was limited to Labour Party Members of Parliament, but its scope was broadened soon after. The lodge is alleged to have influenced the outcome of the 1935 Labour Party leadership election.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Welcome_Lodge

The French Revolution and even the establishment of the Soviet Union has been influenced by Freemasonry:

Most of the members of the Grand Orient were associated with the Russian Provisional Government which came into being following the February Revolution. Indeed, Alexander Kerensky had been the Secretary General of the Grand Orient from 1916 until July 1917, while the Vice-President Nikolai Vissarionovich Nekrasov was the original Secretary General of the Grand Orient. Following the October Revolution and the ascent to power of Vladimir Lenin and the Bolsheviks Freemasonry was banned and freemasons fled abroad to Berlin and France, where they formed lodges in exile (some simply fell away from masonry altogether).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Orient_of_Russia's_Peoples

What do you think Epstein Island was all about? One can only speculate, but the likes of you and I would (thankfully) have never been invited there. I suspect, and indeed this is speculation on my part, that it was used to produce material that could be used to blackmail folk. I find it hard to believe that Epstein killed himself.

Our leaders are puppets of the elite:

Bilderberg meetings often feature future political leaders shortly before they become household names. Bill Clinton went in 1991 while still governor of Arkansas, Tony Blair was there two years later while still an opposition MP. All the recent presidents of the European Commission attended Bilderberg meetings before they were appointed.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4290944.stm

Freemasonry, Bohemian Grove, Bilderberg, Skull & Bones...these sorts of groups are secretive. The rich and powerful groom their puppets. It's where the agendas are set. I suspect that a lot of them are made to perform humiliating and possible heinous rituals, which can then be used to blackmail them. Obviously the reward is money and status.

Your average schmuck who goes to the Lodge on a Wednesday isn't in on it. But, and this is especially true down south, they're the policeman and lawyers who've joined to network, often in the hope of career advancement. Sometimes a favour needs to be called in.

I could go on, but my beliefs about who runs the world will shock you. It's been going on for centuries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Club

Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut is alleged to have been his way of exposing the reality of it all. Of course he died before it was released:

7 hours ago, W6er said:

People never do! 

Elizabeth II: “There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”

Once Labour started to have influence in Westminster, a new Masonic Lodge was created especially for them. I suggest that was likely so that back room deals could be done and people could be influenced 'in the shadows':

The French Revolution and even the establishment of the Soviet Union has been influenced by Freemasonry:

What do you think Epstein Island was all about? One can only speculate, but the likes of you and I would (thankfully) have never been invited there. I suspect, and indeed this is speculation on my part, that it was used to produce material that could be used to blackmail folk. I find it hard to believe that Epstein killed himself.

Our leaders are puppets of the elite:

Freemasonry, Bohemian Grove, Bilderberg, Skull & Bones...these sorts of groups are secretive. The rich and powerful groom their puppets. It's where the agendas are set. I suspect that a lot of them are made to perform humiliating and possible heinous rituals, which can then be used to blackmail them. Obviously the reward is money and status.

Your average schmuck who goes to the Lodge on a Wednesday isn't in on it. But, and this is especially true down south, they're the policeman and lawyers who've joined to network, often in the hope of career advancement. Sometimes a favour needs to be called in.

I could go on, but my beliefs about who runs the world will shock you. It's been going on for centuries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Club

Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut is alleged to have been his way of exposing the reality of it all. Of course he died before it was released:

Although I might be trying to put you of the scent? 😅

My son still pulls me up for saying chinky, even after i told him the story of the conversation I had with a person of Chinese heritage.

The old owner of Pak Ho Chinese takeaway in Gallowhill (Paul) said it's all down to the tone or the add ons to the saying that is offensive not the word. He gave the example of someone saying I was a Scot, not from Scotland or Scottish. So for me to say to someone that "I was going to have a chinky" is OK while saying in a derogatory manner "those chinky's" or "chinky bassa's" is correctly offensive and racist.

Can’t be bothered responding to the litany of either thick or bigoted comments above, but…

I'd concede UK newspapers (and other media) are set up to exploit division and diversity, to blame “others” by pandering to the insecure people who need excuses for their personal lack of success or achievement - so that the mass of working and unemployed people (no matter race, colour or religion) will distrust each other and not focus on the real source of life’s disappointments.

When I was still in Scotland, I devoured everything/anything - hoping to see stuff about people like me… but there was so little of it.  It was all southern based bbc, itv or Hollywood.  I wanted to see people like me doing things, being successful.  Role models.  

Which is good enough reason for no-one to not be scared of seeing diverse people of all races and backgrounds popping up on the multiplicity of media outlets you now enjoy.

I got slagged (at least 10 years ago ) on P+B for mentioning I’d had a “chinky”.  I’m still waiting for eedjits to realise that when they enjoy an “Indian” (which seems to have escaped such censorship) to realise that it is more than likely to have been prepared and cooked by Bangladeshi people.

55 minutes ago, antrin said:

Can’t be bothered responding to the litany of either thick or bigoted comments above, but…

Are you feeling ok? 😂 

Will that mean we see an end to that maddening thread “this forum”?

I’m sure many of us would welcome such a halt as it’s definitely run its course and we have read your concerns. 

4 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Are you feeling ok? 😂 

Will that mean we see an end to that maddening thread “this forum”?

I’m sure many of us would welcome such a halt as it’s definitely run its course and we have read your concerns. 

To be fair, it’s no more tedious or maddening than the drivel of Mutt and Fartaway.

truth is, I’m a wee bit busy right now and just not wasting my time.

I grab a quick look at few threads they’ve not polluted, then “mark site read”.

eta. Posted the above, then…

Just cleared 9 topics.

Edited by antrin

5 hours ago, antrin said:

I'd concede UK newspapers (and other media) are set up to exploit division and diversity, to blame “others” by pandering to the insecure people who need excuses for their personal lack of success or achievement - so that the mass of working and unemployed people (no matter race, colour or religion) will distrust each other and not focus on the real source of life’s disappointments.

When I was still in Scotland, I devoured everything/anything - hoping to see stuff about people like me… but there was so little of it.  It was all southern based bbc, itv or Hollywood.  I wanted to see people like me doing things, being successful.  Role models.  

Which is good enough reason for no-one to not be scared of seeing diverse people of all races and backgrounds popping up on the multiplicity of media outlets you now enjoy.

I got slagged (at least 10 years ago ) on P+B for mentioning I’d had a “chinky”.  I’m still waiting for eedjits to realise that when they enjoy an “Indian” (which seems to have escaped such censorship) to realise that it is more than likely to have been prepared and cooked by Bangladeshi people.

Brilliant, too good for Scotland and everyone else, as usual, is thick.

You're one of our best exports, the country is much better off without you. :byebye

You've certainly inherited the English disease of arrogance. 

Edited by faraway saint

10 hours ago, antrin said:

ars ago ) on P+B for mentioning I’d had a “chinky”.  I’m still waiting for eedjits to realise that when they enjoy an “Indian” (which seems to have escaped such censorship) to realise that it is more than likely to have been prepared and cooked by Bangladeshi people.

Why would that be censored? It's hardly a derogatory term.

Are you implying that saying," I'm having an Italian or a Mexican or even a Chinese" is worthy of censorship?

I think you'll find that many people are aware that many of the individuals who own "Indian" restaurants are from Bangladesh or Pakistan, as they build up relationships with the staff when they attend the restaurant.

45 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Why would that be censored? It's hardly a derogatory term.

I know. That was the point I was making.

Are you implying that saying," I'm having an Italian or a Mexican or even a Chinese" is worthy of censorship?

No.  The opposite.  Just following on - in agreement with Cookie Monster’s assessment of the term “chinky” to describe Chinese restaurant or takeaway food.

I think you'll find that many people are aware that many of the individuals who own "Indian" restaurants are from Bangladesh or Pakistan, as they build up relationships with the staff when they attend the restaurant.

It was a sarcastic deprecation of arses who get het up by the subject, displaying a misplaced sense of being PC.

I hope you wouldn't think my comment were thick or bigoted.

I had planned in my passing to go into Kwang Tung for my supper, but was gutted it was closed by the time I passed.

I've spoken to Peter who I believe is the current owner numerous times and I have dealings with him professionally a few times. Another person who is an excellent host who provided many buds excellent cuisine.