Scotland's Game Scottish Football Documentary

Gordon Urquhart

9 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Oh that's easy. Voting the SPL into being. 

If they are serious about getting to the bottom of our decline then that is a good place to start.  Is it just coincidence that 1998 was the last time Scotland made it to a major finals and also the same year the SPL came into being?

2 hours ago, scottd said:

If they are serious about getting to the bottom of our decline then that is a good place to start.  Is it just coincidence that 1998 was the last time Scotland made it to a major finals and also the same year the SPL came into being?

Whilst the two are correlated that doesnt prove causality.

The disastrous impact of TV money came at the same time.

Not seen it yet.

Was anyone brave enough to confirm what everyone knew at the time (even The Daily Ranger) but are afraid to now say?

That Rangers cheated, was liquidated, died and that a new club, Sevco, had the rules bent so it could join the lowest league and then change its name to something resembling The Rangers?

Was there any hint of such honesty? 

Guest TPAFKATS
As Stuart says, nothing new. Very formulaic stuff, with the same old faces.

TBF, the party tunes in the ibrox dressing room was news to me.
Roughly 30 years the beeb have had and not shown that footage?

At least Butcher was ashamed of his own behaviour.

56 minutes ago, antrin said:

Not seen it yet.

Was anyone brave enough to confirm what everyone knew at the time (even The Daily Ranger) but are afraid to now say?

That Rangers cheated, was liquidated, died and that a new club, Sevco, had the rules bent so it could join the lowest league and then change its name to something resembling The Rangers?

Was there any hint of such honesty? 

Next programme maybe. They are covering Craig Whyte and Brooks Mileston. 

33 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

TBF, the party tunes in the ibrox dressing room was news to me.
Roughly 30 years the beeb have had and not shown that footage?

At least Butcher was ashamed of his own behaviour.

Surely that wasn't news to you Tony. The Rangers players used to line up on the pitch after every one of their 9 in a row to join in with the "party songs". It's not much of an extension to believe that the same would have been going on in the dressing room.

Scottish society though owes a debt of gratitude to Souness and Johnston though. That was a turning point, no question at all. 

Same old guff. Optimistically somehow expected better, but I'm afraid Weetabix heid, Spiers and the rest basically fired off the usual cliched baws.

Cosgrove, as usual stands out as being that bit more cerebral and offers a decent take.

You are limited though,,what sells here, it's the great Glasca rivalry, so basically all else is just noise. An hour long listening to the same old gang, could have been over in ten minutes.

Im annoyed cause I expected better, but frankly how could it have been , you have hee haw to work with, how stupid of me...........-_-

Forgot it was on. Didnae' watch. Let me guess..

1. The Old Firm is all that matters.

2. The New Firm were decent for a while.

3. Souness and Murray kick-started the big money we couldnae' afford timebomb.

4. Scottish football is now a fcuked-in-the-head busted flush with one disproportionally large club and the national team is pish.

5. We're doomed.

Am I close?

Forgot it was on. Didnae' watch. Let me guess..

1. The Old Firm is all that matters.

2. The New Firm were decent for a while.

3. Souness and Murray kick-started the big money we couldnae' afford timebomb.

4. Scottish football is now a fcuked-in-the-head busted flush with one disproportionally large club and the national team is pish.

5. We're doomed.

Am I close?

Not really. There was very little about Aberdeen at all. Dundee United featured quite a bit particularly because of how close they came to taking over Dundee. Hibs and Hearts also featured heavily because of Mercer and Duff. Celtic and Rangers were mostly in focus though. Rangers with their big signings and Celtic for wee Fergus McCann.

Next week appears to be about the formation of the SPhell, Gretna and Craig Whyte. All potential sources of embarrassment for St Mirren.

Threw a wee bone to Aberdeen, the Edinburgh and Dundee clubs before getting into the stuff that matters for them - Rangers, Souness, Celtic, McCann, Rangers, Murray, Rangers and Celtic, Johnston, Rangers and Celtic, Thatcher, sectarianism blah blah fecking blah.........

I found it a strange mixture, with no real introduction or context. I spent half the time wondering where the programme was going and what the point was. Could they not have called it Glasgow's Game?

Why?

there will be no mention of St Mirren.

No I don't think there will be either. However St Mirren cast the decisive vote that brought the SPhell into being. Only St Mirren and Raith Rovers from outside the top league voted in favour of the new league.

Gretna? Gilmour was vocal and proactive in selecting Gretna over Airdrie United and a number of other clubs like Annan at the time.

And we really don't need to go back over the embarrassing episode of St Mirren trying desperately to keep Rangers in the top flight do we?

Who was that David Duff guy who was involved at Hibs? The extent of the background info on him seeing to be Stuart Cosgrove saying he'd no idea who he was. Thanks for that.

Was interesting to hear the same section say Hearts and Hibs have city centre grounds :whistle

Do you think that St Mirren will be mentioned at all in this series? Surely, in our capacity of 'greatest club in the world' we deserve a mention. Although, in fairness, we've never been in Administration, we've never been liquidated, and we don't have a history of sectarianism. So, as a club, we're very much above the problems highlighted in last night's shambles of a programme, and probably future programmes.