Return Of Tom Hendrie - A St Mirren Legend

shull

Everything about that season was just magical.  So many late goals winners that season and some brilliant goals - McGarrys goals at Livvy, Walkers at Crappielow.

The travelling support was something else and there was always a real buzz going to the games. 

It's really difficult to pick a favourite game as there's so many that have already been mentioned.  How about McKnights late winner against Falkirk at Love Street, another brilliant team goal and the finish is class.

I wonder if Lee Bullen is still raging we stole his championship :D

The sexy soccer played that season is always recalled, often forgotten is how we dug in at the tail end of the season when the pressure was on.

Winning a point at East End Park when after going down to 10 men and going behind, the late goals at Kirkcaldy, Yardley scrambling in a winner at Livi, last minute winner at Somerset, even the 3-0 v Raith to clinch the title when it was goalless at HT.... Great belief that team had.

11 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

It was one hell of a season that's for sure and from a squad of players who individually didn't manage to achieve much at all throughout the remainder of their careers. 

Roy, Turner, McLaughlin, Walker, Nicolson, Ross, Baltacha, Murray, Mendes, Yardley and Lavety - backed up by the likes of Paul Rudden, Tom Brown, Stevie McGarry, Paul McKnight, Joe McLaughlin. And added to with the addition of Gary Bowman, Ricky Gillies and Jens Paeslack. Not really any stars amongst them, just a side that gelled brilliantly as a team, which had belief in themselves, and who had a manager that ensured the players were properly prepared, even if the kit man wasn't (imagine having to wear a Morton strip during your best season). 

I sat just behind the dug out at Love Street that year and I got the added entertainment of watching Tom Hendrie and his antics during matches. A truly brilliant manager and one of those who didn't need a shirt and a tie for the players to know he was the boss. 

Very well put, Stuart.

As others have said probably the best season I've had as a Saints fan. Gary McKay jumping on Hendries back after we won at Airdrie - brilliant! Cheering the teletext league in Cafe Borgia every time the screen got to page 2. Winning at Starks Park after going 1 down in 85 minutes was the game that convinced me & my brother that we were going to do it. Good times!

What an excellent idea.

Are you an affluent smisa member who can give £25 per month (or more) of your income to us?  Then have a wee shindig on us you lucky bar steward.

Are you a smisa member who pays us £10 per month (or indeed any figure of £24 or less) and that is genuinely all you can afford?  Then watch your affluent betters attend this back slappers event from afar, that is unless the affluents have better things to do and as such a token few of you peasant members may be thrown a ticket or two.  

Quoff quoff peasants, look what we can do!  Will Tom like some pheasant on his oatcakes?

1 hour ago, TediousTom said:

What an excellent idea.

Are you an affluent smisa member who can give £25 per month (or more) of your income to us?  Then have a wee shindig on us you lucky bar steward.

Are you a smisa member who pays us £10 per month (or indeed any figure of £24 or less) and that is genuinely all you can afford?  Then watch your affluent betters attend this back slappers event from afar, that is unless the affluents have better things to do and as such a token few of you peasant members may be thrown a ticket or two.  

Quoff quoff peasants, look what we can do!  Will Tom like some pheasant on his oatcakes?

Tom, I pay £25 per month, and I got an invite. I won't be going. I could have got the night off of work, and may still do so since I've got many holidays left to take, however the fact is that this event does not allow me to take a guest and the idea of sitting in a corner on my own watching a video I can put in my DVD player any time I want doesn't really appeal to me. I would have loved to have taken one of my sons but since they don't have a £25 membership that can't happen. 

I'd also love to be able to give my ticket away but apparently that too is not allowed. I also can't auction it or raffle it off to help raise money for a local charity like I would have liked to have done, and indeed as I said I would, with any benefit my £25 per month membership may have afforded me, many months ago. Instead SMiSA have decided that if I don't take up my ticket they'll repossess it and sell it to another SMiSA member to help fund a youth development system that already receives tens of thousands of pounds through government grants and SFA funding, that I find intrinsically flawed and which should be self funding.

The more dealings I have with the SMiSA committee the less confidence I have in them as a group whether it's the perception that they put out that they would screen candidates for appropriate professional qualifications for the director election, or in the lack of progress being made through the club in being more community aware and active. But that's for another thread. I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the recollections of others of this superb side and of a fantastic manager who was severely wronged by sections of the support and by the board just a few years later. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

7 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Tom, I pay £25 per month, and I got an invite. I won't be going. I could have got the night off of work, and may still do so since I've got many holidays left to take, however the fact is that this event does not allow me to take a guest and the idea of sitting in a corner on my own watching a video I can put in my DVD player any time I want doesn't really appeal to me. I would have loved to have taken one of my sons but since they don't have a £25 membership that can't happen. 

I'd also love to be able to give my ticket away but apparently that too is not allowed. I also can't auction it or raffle it off to help raise money for a local charity like I would have liked to have done, and indeed as I said I would, with any benefit my £25 per month membership may have afforded me, many months ago. Instead SMiSA have decided that if I don't take up my ticket they'll repossess it and sell it to another SMiSA member to help fund a youth development system that already receives tens of thousands of pounds through government grants and SFA funding, that I find intrinsically flawed and which should be self funding.

The more dealings I have with the SMiSA committee the less confidence I have in them as a group whether it's the perception that they put out that they would screen candidates for appropriate professional qualifications for the director election, or in the lack of progress being made through the club in being more community aware and active. But that's for another thread. I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the recollections of others of this superb side and of a fantastic manager who was severely wronged by sections of the support and by the board just a few years later. 

There you go again, dispensing the off-topic wanky pish.

you even note, "that is for another thread", but still you don't get rid of it when you edit!

your reminisce about the Hendrie years above, seemed genuine and warm, then you spoil it with more lukewarm pish....

sigh...

8 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Just like any other day for you i suppose.

There you go again, dispensing the off-topic wanky pish.

you even note, "that is for another thread", but still you don't get rid of it when you edit!

your reminisce about the Hendrie years above, seemed genuine and warm, then you spoil it with more lukewarm pish....

sigh...

How can anyone reminiscing over the Tom Hendrie years not finish by remembering the squalid way the club and a section of the fans treated him in the end.

Div rightly talks about bonds being formed amongst the support. Saints Online did that. Then the so called "web wars" started with fans trying to stitch up other fans. The official website was created and then used as a tool by some to spread muck about the manager, to denigrate him, and to finally come out with the triumphal claim that official website forum users had managed to convince the club to sack Tom Hendrie.

If 1998-2001 was one of the best eras to be a St Mirren supporter then September 2002 was by far the worst.

4 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

How can anyone reminiscing over the Tom Hendrie years not finish by remembering the squalid way the club and a section of the fans treated him in the end.

Div rightly talks about bonds being formed amongst the support. Saints Online did that. Then the so called "web wars" started with fans trying to stitch up other fans. The official website was created and then used as a tool by some to spread muck about the manager, to denigrate him, and to finally come out with the triumphal claim that official website forum users had managed to convince the club to sack Tom Hendrie.

If 1998-2001 was one of the best eras to be a St Mirren supporter then September 2002 was by far the worst.

Wanky pish

11 hours ago, TediousTom said:

What an excellent idea.

Hadn't realised this was the first time in the world where folk who pay more to a business get more in return. This has the potential to revolutionise capitalism. If only it had been made clear at the start of the process that the £25 a month members would get more rewards/benefits than the £10 ones.

And as for Dickson's latest Donald Trump impression where he repeats bullshit over and over in the hope it becomes as accepted as fact despite it being repeatedly proven as nonsense, the post below has summed it up more succinctly than I ever could. Can't believe it's taken me this long to put him on ignore.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Wanky pish

Edited by Stu

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hadn't realised this was the first time in the world where folk who pay more to a business get more in return. This has the potential to revolutionise capitalism. If only it had been made clear at the start of the process that the £25 a month members would get more rewards/benefits than the £10 ones.

Thank you for quoting me and as such bringing my attention to your reply.

You mock of course as Smisa did make it clear that more benefits would be made available to the premium members from the outset.  In this I have no reason nor justification in questioning Smisa as they were upfront and honest about the clear premium/peasant distinction.

Does that mean that however that one who is not a premium (£25 per month or more) Smisa member has no right nor justification in questioning the premium/peasant divide?

To give other examples in my effort to provide you with clarity as to my position on what I see as an appalling situation

1) I am not a member of the American political party called the Republican's yet I dared to refer to Donald J Trump as a halfwit

2)  I am not a member of the American political party called the Democrats yet I dared once to infer that Hilary Clinton was a tyrant who should be in prison.

3)  I am not a member of the Orange lodge yet I openly criticise that organisation at every turn.

So as a non premium Smisa member (paying £25 per month or more to the cause) I assume that I have no right at all to question the divisive actions in seperating the affluent from the less fortunate, the premium from the peasants or the important from the irrelevent?

Shall we develop a ranking system of how important our supporters are?

At the top we have the premium Smisa members.  If that Smisa member also owns a season ticket then that Smisa member is wonderful and better than the rest of us in every way.  If that Smisa member has a premium membership and a  season ticket and is a member of the 1877 club then we have a God or Goddess amongst us.  

A long way behind we have peasant Smisa members.  If that Smisa member also owns a season ticket then God bless them for trying.  If that peasant Smisa member owns a season ticket and a membership of the 1877 club then ruffle them by the hair and give them a wink.  But they will never be premium until they pledge more to the cause.

Next we have the season ticket holders.  Once regarded as important but now more of a necessary evil.  Should that season ticket holder also own a membership of the 1877 club then who cares?  They are not in Smisa and until they change that they are worse than peasants.

Next we have the pay at the gate punters.  We pay them no attention any more even if they also join the 1877 club.  These people are only tolerated.

Now is a premium Smisa member (paying £25 per month or more to the cause) who does not own a season ticket nor an 1877 membership still above the peasant Smisa member who does own a season ticket and an 1877 membership?

I think we need a graph!

Edited to add:

Gone are the days when a supporter was just a person who "went to the fitba".

Perhaps we could differentiate oursevles by badges sewn on to our clothes.  

Edited by TediousTom

32 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Thank you for quoting me and as such bringing my attention to your reply.

You mock of course as Smisa did make it clear that more benefits would be made available to the premium members from the outset.  In this I have no reason nor justification in questioning Smisa as they were upfront and honest about the clear premium/peasant distinction.

Does that mean that however that one who is not a premium (£25 per month or more) Smisa member has no right nor justification in questioning the premium/peasant divide?

To give other examples in my effort to provide you with clarity as to my position on what I see as an appalling situation

1) I am not a member of the American political party called the Republican's yet I dared to refer to Donald J Trump as a halfwit

2)  I am not a member of the American political party called the Democrats yet I dared once to infer that Hilary Clinton was a tyrant who should be in prison.

3)  I am not a member of the Orange lodge yet I openly criticise that organisation at every turn.

So as a non premium Smisa member (paying £25 per month or more to the cause) I assume that I have no right at all to question the divisive actions in seperating the affluent from the less fortunate, the premium from the peasants or the important from the irrelevent?

Shall we develop a ranking system of how important our supporters are?

At the top we have the premium Smisa members.  If that Smisa member also owns a season ticket then that Smisa member is wonderful and better than the rest of us in every way.  If that Smisa member has a premium membership and a  season ticket and is a member of the 1877 club then we have a God or Goddess amongst us.  

A long way behind we have peasant Smisa members.  If that Smisa member also owns a season ticket then God bless them for trying.  If that peasant Smisa member owns a season ticket and a membership of the 1877 club then ruffle them by the hair and give them a wink.  But they will never be premium until they pledge more to the cause.

Next we have the season ticket holders.  Once regarded as important but now more of a necessary evil.  Should that season ticket holder also own a membership of the 1877 club then who cares?  They are not in Smisa and until they change that they are worse than peasants.

Next we have the pay at the gate punters.  We pay them no attention any more even if they also join the 1877 club.  These people are only tolerated.

Now is a premium Smisa member (paying £25 per month or more to the cause) who does not own a season ticket nor an 1877 membership still above the peasant Smisa member who does own a season ticket and an 1877 membership?

I think we need a graph!

Edited to add:

Gone are the days when a supporter was just a person who "went to the fitba".

Perhaps we could differentiate oursevles by badges sewn on to our clothes.  

You forgot padded seats in the Main Stand.  For only two pounds more you can distance yourself even further from the hoi polloi !! 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

And as for Dickson's latest Donald Trump impression where he repeats bullshit over and over in the hope it becomes as accepted as fact despite it being repeatedly proven as nonsense, the post below has summed it up more succinctly than I ever could. Can't believe it's taken me this long to put him on ignore.

Here's what one "journalist" was writing at the time

http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hendrie_could_be_sacked_60428/index.shtml

http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/rumour_hendrie_sacked_60614/index.shtml

http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/930_am_announcement_60623/index.shtml

http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hendrie_update_60659/index.shtml

http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hendrie_not_sacked_60886/index.shtml

http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hendrie_goes__sort_of_60945/index.shtml

Hendrie was sacked the day after the article when Stu claimed he hadn't been sacked, blaming all his "wanky pish" on rumour and gossip he'd read online. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Does anyone else miss Love Street???? I still get really sad when I pass the old turnstiles , I even miss the main stand, Was a great view......

So if any of my fellow Saints win the Euro Lottery could u please buy back the site, and redevelop there.........

Personaly I don't though it took a while to like the new stadium it's just streets ahead of love Street for facilities. The atmosphere will come when we are on the up.

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Personaly I don't though it took a while to like the new stadium it's just streets ahead of love Street for facilities. The atmosphere will come when we are on the up.

Careful...

Tedious Tom will think that further separates certain hoi polloi from peasants.  Old moaning basturts won't live long enough to enjoy a new, better atmosphere...

He already doesn't consider himself privileged as he only has to pay less than half what an adult pays for a West Stand Season ticket.

Envy is an awful thing...

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 0:06 AM, shull said:

News

2000Champions.jpg
27 October 2016

An evening with the Millennium Champions

General SMiSA News
 Buythebuds, Stmirren, Plus Event

It was one the most dramatic and memorable seasons in St Mirren’s history – now SMISA members will be able to relive every highlight with the men who made it happen.

Our first exclusive #BuyTheBuds members event will be An Evening With The Millennium Champions, in the corporate hospitality suite at the Paisley 2021 Stadium on Friday 2 December, from 7pm.

Access to the evening will work as detailed when the #BuyTheBuds campaign launched in the summer, details of which are still on our sign-up webpage.

That means it will initially only be for our Plus (£25-per-month) and Premium members – but any unclaimed places will be made available to other members.

The night will be hosted by broadcaster and Saints fan Colin Kelly, and will see manager Tom Hendrie and members of the squad reminisce about the season, helped by video highlights of key games.

SMISA members will also be able to put their own questions to the team for what we are sure will be a really lively evening.

A pay bar will be available throughout the event but given the licensing restrictions, we are afraid it is available to over-18s only

All Plus members will have until Sunday 13 November to guarantee their free place and have been emailed with details of how to do so.

Those places are only available to those who had a Plus membership as of Thursday 27 October and should not be transferred

On Monday 14 November we will make any remaining tickets available to our other members at a cost of £10 each. All money raised will be donated to St Mirren’s youth development.

This makes sure everybody who is paying a higher membership fee has the option to attend the exclusive event due to them under the terms of their membership , while giving other members the chance to take any unclaimed seats.

We don’t plan to open up the sale to non-members, but reserve the right to do so should we still have spaces close to the time.

As always, if you have any questions, please send them to us at [email protected]. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible there on the night for what should be a great evening.

That picture is the 2000-2001 squad!!

19 hours ago, 10ent said:

I'm sure he retired at the end of the previous season. Was gutted he missed out the title win after what he went through in the years leading up to it.

An absolute legend of a man.

I can honestly say that it was an absolute privelige watching that man play.

An absolute legend of a man.

I can honestly say that it was an absolute privelige watching that man play.

He is also a really nice human being and I am proud to have 1 of his top hanging in my spare room which he gave to me [emoji106]