Jump to content

shull

Photographs of The Past and Present

Recommended Posts


On 7/26/2018 at 6:26 PM, saintnextlifetime said:

Do you mean this one . .

Dcr_hB-XUAA_swQ.jpg

. .which I believe is Renfrew Airport with the old Scottish Aviation factory on the left of the pic. Perhaps , there are some older Buddies who worked there , back in the day. .

I used to cycle down to the airport and spot planes......................... yes I had an anorak, but in my defence I was probably between 7 and 12 years of age. 

I once went down at lunch time and sat on the Hillington Industrial Estate side of the runway next to the cemetery and an USAF Starfighter came in and landed, it was gob-smacking to say the least. 

It was known as the 'flying coffin'  as it basically was a rocket with short stubby wings. Anyway it re-fuelled and took off - the noise was off the planet.

 

I also saw a RAF Lightning land and take off at Renfrew - the take off was out of this world - straight along the runway then vertically straight up until it went through the clouds - it was unbelievable given the normal aircraft movements were Dakotas, Viscounts and Vanguards of British European Airways. I was a wee happy bunny that day! :clapping

BAE Lightning.jpg

USAF Starfighter.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I used to cycle down to the airport and spot planes......................... yes I had an anorak, but in my defence I was probably between 7 and 12 years of age. 

I once went down at lunch time and sat on the Hillington Industrial Estate side of the runway next to the cemetery and an USAF Starfighter came in and landed, it was gob-smacking to say the least. 

It was known as the 'flying coffin'  as it basically was a rocket with short stubby wings. Anyway it re-fuelled and took off - the noise was off the planet.

 

I also saw a RAF Lightning land and take off at Renfrew - the take off was out of this world - straight along the runway then vertically straight up until it went through the clouds - it was unbelievable given the normal aircraft movements were Dakotas, Viscounts and Vanguards of British European Airways. I was a wee happy bunny that day! :clapping

BAE Lightning.jpg

USAF Starfighter.JPG

I made my first flights out of Renfrew Airport as a passenger.  Not strictly about Paisley but I recall playing Golf at Lossiemouth when Typhoon Jets were taking off.  They came right up to the tee we were on,  then belched fire before roaring off down the runway.  Spectacular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I made my first flights out of Renfrew Airport as a passenger.  Not strictly about Paisley but I recall playing Golf at Lossiemouth when Typhoon Jets were taking off.  They came right up to the tee we were on,  then belched fire before roaring off down the runway.  Spectacular. 

Our son was based at Lossiemouth for three years and loved it - working on the Tornadoes just before they took them out of service.

Yes playing Moray is an interesting experience when the fast jets are landing or particularly on take off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a toy shop down towards the bottom of Cotton St (opposite the east gable of the Abbey) where I used to go and buy my airfix kits - it was located just below this photo of Gemmells Dairy.

I can't remember its name, but I do remember all the bus stops on the Abbey side of the road and if I remember rightly these were some of the Glasgow buses that came along Canal St and then round by the Abbey before turning right onto Gauze St. I think that would be the Ardrossan bus, and the Gourock and Greenock via Bridge of Weir buses!  :huh:

 

Cotton St - Gemmills Dairy.jpg

Cotton St Top next to Abbey.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I used to cycle down to the airport and spot planes......................... yes I had an anorak, but in my defence I was probably between 7 and 12 years of age. 

I once went down at lunch time and sat on the Hillington Industrial Estate side of the runway next to the cemetery and an USAF Starfighter came in and landed, it was gob-smacking to say the least. 

It was known as the 'flying coffin'  as it basically was a rocket with short stubby wings. Anyway it re-fuelled and took off - the noise was off the planet.

 

I also saw a RAF Lightning land and take off at Renfrew - the take off was out of this world - straight along the runway then vertically straight up until it went through the clouds - it was unbelievable given the normal aircraft movements were Dakotas, Viscounts and Vanguards of British European Airways. I was a wee happy bunny that day! :clapping

BAE Lightning.jpg

USAF Starfighter.JPG

I had buddies who worked on the 104 (Starfighter) when SAL had the contact with RCAF to carry out modifications on them . They refered to it as the widowmaker on account of the losses but the only ever lost one leaving Prestwick and that unfortunate managed to crash into Ailsa Craig. 

I have seen the Lightening do the take off you mention and it wasn't unusual for them to melt the runway with those two Avons on reheat.  .

The Vanguard was very comfortable to fly in . .once you got used to the vibration.  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2018 at 5:32 PM, The Original 59er said:

There was a toy shop down towards the bottom of Cotton St (opposite the east gable of the Abbey) where I used to go and buy my airfix kits - it was located just below this photo of Gemmells Dairy.

I can't remember its name, but I do remember all the bus stops on the Abbey side of the road and if I remember rightly these were some of the Glasgow buses that came along Canal St and then round by the Abbey before turning right onto Gauze St. I think that would be the Ardrossan bus, and the Gourock and Greenock via Bridge of Weir buses!  :huh:

 

Cotton St - Gemmills Dairy.jpg

Cotton St Top next to Abbey.jpg

I used to travel to and from school on the Largs/West Kilbride/Seamill buses which came along Broomlands/Wellmeadow/ High Street on the way to Glasgow and Cotton Street/ Bridge Street/George Street on the way to the Ayrshire coast. As I recall, the Adrossan and Greenock/Gourock buses followed the same route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, The Original 59er said:

There was a toy shop down towards the bottom of Cotton St (opposite the east gable of the Abbey) where I used to go and buy my airfix kits - it was located just below this photo of Gemmells Dairy.

I can't remember its name, but I do remember all the bus stops on the Abbey side of the road and if I remember rightly these were some of the Glasgow buses that came along Canal St and then round by the Abbey before turning right onto Gauze St. I think that would be the Ardrossan bus, and the Gourock and Greenock via Bridge of Weir buses!  :huh:

 

 

 

Believe it or not, but I think it was called, "Glasgow's", if my memory services me right  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pod said:

Believe it or not, but I think it was called, "Glasgow's", if my memory services me right  

There was a Harry Glasgow had a shop up next to the Wishing Well.He rented and repaired TVs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pod said:

Believe it or not, but I think it was called, "Glasgow's", if my memory services me right  

'Glasgow's' doesn't ring an immediate bell, but you might be right. 

I had a fleeting thought it might have been called Dunlop's, but that too was just a random name that went through my old computer that is called my brain. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, shull said:

Aye, but I dinnae know when. 

I can see the rear of my old house and the Arthurlie Inns. 

Railway is long gone. 

That was once upon a time my local, we had the house/flat above what used to be the ice cream makers on the Main Street just out of picture on the right hand side!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shull said:

Aye, but I dinnae know when. 

I can see the rear of my old house and the Arthurlie Inns. 

Railway is long gone. 

1950 according to the excellent Britain from above website!

Here`s another one

barrhead 1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...