Sheese Anyone tried it ?

Isle Of Bute Saint

A none dairy diet is a fast growing market. A family on Bute started a none dairy cheese but had to change the name to Sheese. They started with 6 employees just over a year ago today they have 160 full time employees exporting their products to many parts of the world. Sheese comes in many flavours, cheddar, Jalapeno, smoked , Cranberry plus many more. They have started producing none dairy Ice Cream which because of the contract can only be sold at Sainsbury.  We did a talk in the shop of their vagan products and heath benefits. We put out lots of products for people to try. Sauces , Pizzas  toasties, Grilled Aubergine , slow roasted tomatoes & sheese salad. Some of the sheese is a hit I could easily eat. The none dairy Ice Cream is phenomenal a real winner just a shame it is limited to Sainsbury it would be a real market winner if promoted. One year this company is growing at some rate. 

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Obviously, if we can make good quality food without harming animals then most people will make the switch eventually.

There will never be a time when humans will say to each other "f**k me, that was a hard days work. I could murder a synthetically made gluten-free dairy-free veggie burger".

I've tried a few non-dairy cheese substitutes. I've not tasted any that I would consider persevering with.

In saying that, if push came to shove, I could probably cut out dairy altogether. We tried a wee vegan week experiment a few months ago, and it was fine. Probably made easier by being vegetarian (in my case for nearly 35 years). You adapt, and it just becomes a normal way of life.

One of the major issues with cheese substitutes is the consistency and issues around how well it heats and melts.

If people want to cut down on dairy, I reckon it is easier to steer away from these substitutes and just use a bit more imagination in your cooking.

59 minutes ago, Drew said:

I've tried a few non-dairy cheese substitutes. I've not tasted any that I would consider persevering with.

In saying that, if push came to shove, I could probably cut out dairy altogether. We tried a wee vegan week experiment a few months ago, and it was fine. Probably made easier by being vegetarian (in my case for nearly 35 years). You adapt, and it just becomes a normal way of life.

One of the major issues with cheese substitutes is the consistency and issues around how well it heats and melts.

If people want to cut down on dairy, I reckon it is easier to steer away from these substitutes and just use a bit more imagination in your cooking.

I take it you won't be heading to the Buddie Good Food van next home game for a sheeseburger?

19 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Veganism and non dairy diets are a fad.

Obviously there will always be some who have special dietary needs but mainstream society will always prefer a good roast chicken to a raw carrot.

For the record I'm not vagan I have customers who are. Also someone put the shop on a Vagen web site that brought in tourists during the season. There is a link to breast cancer and dairy products countries that use less dairy products in the far East have very low breast cancer rates , yes lots of links to cancer every thing in moderation. However the antibiotics and other chemicals used in farming  are causing problems in the food chain. Hundreds of pesticides used on plant food have never been tested on human consumption. Fish farming is another area where the sea bed dies below fish farms. Taste a wild sea bass to a farmed one the difference is huge in flavour. Most fish outwith Haddock, Sole , Cod. Mackerel are all farmed. 

A none dairy diet is a fast growing market. A family on Bute started a none dairy cheese but had to change the name to Sheese. They started with 6 employees just over a year ago today they have 160 full time employees exporting their products to many parts of the world. Sheese comes in many flavours, cheddar, Jalapeno, smoked , Cranberry plus many more. They have started producing none dairy Ice Cream which because of the contract can only be sold at Sainsbury.  We did a talk in the shop of their vagan products and heath benefits. We put out lots of products for people to try. Sauces , Pizzas  toasties, Grilled Aubergine , slow roasted tomatoes & sheese salad. Some of the sheese is a hit I could easily eat. The none dairy Ice Cream is phenomenal a real winner just a shame it is limited to Sainsbury it would be a real market winner if promoted. One year this company is growing at some rate. 
What's the name of your place and where on the Island is it?

25 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

For the record I'm not vagan I have customers who are. Also someone put the shop on a Vagen web site that brought in tourists during the season. There is a link to breast cancer and dairy products countries that use less dairy products in the far East have very low breast cancer rates , yes lots of links to cancer every thing in moderation. However the antibiotics and other chemicals used in farming  are causing problems in the food chain. Hundreds of pesticides used on plant food have never been tested on human consumption. Fish farming is another area where the sea bed dies below fish farms. Taste a wild sea bass to a farmed one the difference is huge in flavour. Most fish outwith Haddock, Sole , Cod. Mackerel are all farmed. 

That's a f**k of a lot of bold statements there. Do you have any peer-reviewed scientific literature to back this up?

This is your area of expertise so I assume you've done your homework properly.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's a f**k of a lot of bold statements there. Do you have any peer-reviewed scientific literature to back this up?

Most of what Ian said common knowledge without the need of some big chemical comany sponsored review . A family member who is a medico told me that dead bodies don't rot the way they used to , which they reckon is down to the amount of preservatives now being consumed . You are probably old enough to remember when we all got milk (what they would now call "whole" milk ) delivered to our doorsteps , everyday . Then , even though it was kept in the fridge , if there was any left the following day , it would have been on the turn . Now , you can buy a pint of milk in the supermarket that has a use buy date of up to a week ahead !! There is something wrong here and I suspect the milk has been sterilised into being nothing more than a milky coloured water . I don't think a peer review has been done on that either , these are observations and perceptions. .

There is a similar story with bread , it used to be bought daily as on day 2 it would be stale but now , a loaf might not go off for 4-5 days ! More preservatives perhaps. .

18 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Most of what Ian said common knowledge without the need of some big chemical comany sponsored review . A family member who is a medico told me that dead bodies don't rot the way they used to , which they reckon is down to the amount of preservatives now being consumed . You are probably old enough to remember when we all got milk (what they would now call "whole" milk ) delivered to our doorsteps , everyday . Then , even though it was kept in the fridge , if there was any left the following day , it would have been on the turn . Now , you can buy a pint of milk in the supermarket that has a use buy date of up to a week ahead !! There is something wrong here and I suspect the milk has been sterilised into being nothing more than a milky coloured water . I don't think a peer review has been done on that either , these are observations and perceptions. .

There is a similar story with bread , it used to be bought daily as on day 2 it would be stale but now , a loaf might not go off for 4-5 days ! More preservatives perhaps. .

I didn't ask for a big chemical company sponsored review.

I am old enough to remember some of what you have described but I would rather get my information from trusted sources rather than "commonsense", web gossip and conspiracy theory websites. There will probably be many reasons for the changes you describe.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I didn't ask for a big chemical company sponsored review.

I am old enough to remember some of what you have described but I would rather get my information from trusted sources rather than "commonsense", web gossip and conspiracy theory websites. There will probably be many reasons for the changes you describe.

Wow . .

. .okay so you never rely on your own observations . .

3 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:
On 9/11/2018 at 6:58 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

What's the name of your place and where on the Island is it?

Sent a PM.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

This is a personal view though it is talked about within my industry but I will give you a run down on somethings. What saintsinalifetime wrote is true. On the island I get milk delivered straight from the farm. It will last no more than three days refrigerated at plus 5c. Have had the co-op milk same full fat lasts over a full week in the same storage conditions. What opened up my mind was reading a book by a female scientist who caught Brest cancer and was told she had less than 3 month to live. This lady read every thing she could on breast cancer. To cut a long story short she found that countries who used less dairy or none at all had very little breast cancer. She also found a link to pesticides. You stopped all dairy products plus red meat and went organic. She worte the book 2 years after being diagnosed. That book made me read into it more given the industry I work in. Cattle , beef for eating are injected with hormones to make them fatter quicker also antibiotics even though the cattle are not sick. Grass for grazing is treated with pesticides as is plant food which have never been tested to see if they dangerous for human consumption. Moving on I have sailed from Aberdeen to Cape Town a journey of almost 4 weeks with no port calls. Loading up fresh food taking all plastic wrapped food unwrapped then wrap up the food in news paper to stop the food from sweating. Arriving in Cape Town I still had edible Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes , peppers. Working in West Africa we have to purchase these goods locally. they are missshaped have a life span of a week but importantly taste fantastic. It's a  personal choice thing a bit like drinking and smoking. There is plenty info out there if you care to dig. I Eat red meet around once a month now and I'm careful what fish I eat. Cheese I'm a sucker for. The farming industry is very powerful now remember what Edwina Currie did to the egg industry that would not be allowed to happen now. Thatcher's government changed the law what could be used to feed cattle., other cattle grounded down feed What happens? Mad cow disease. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

3 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Wow . .

. .okay so you never rely on your own observations . .

Thats just Oak his way of text book is right. Not that industry in certain quarter's  are protected. Oil & Gas for instance it's all a mad conspiracy.