Motherwell v St. Mirren 4th May 2019

Sweeper07

24 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

442 and going for it!
I'm excited!
COYSFB_IMG_1556974026281.jpeg

Balanced side  ( 4-4-2) and bench too (2 Defenders - 2 Midfielders and 2 Forwards - though Hodson can do both D and M).

Think OK is trying to decide if MacK is worth a punt for next year - Baird misses out - but these are the kind of things a manager has to consider. . . 

As expected no Hastie for them and they too are  4-4-2  : -

• 20Gillespie   14Grimshaw      5Aldred      18Dunne     2Tait    4McHugh     7Cadden    8Campbell   28Turnbull
  • 12Ariyibi   35Scott

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Hope I'm wrong Motherwell could over run our midfield would be more comfortable with Magennis in there. 

Starting McAllister is certainly a gamble. Great on the ball but weak defensively.

7 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Balanced side  ( 4-4-2) and bench too (2 Defenders - 2 Midfielders and 2 Forwards - though Hodson can do both D and M).

Think OK is trying to decide if MacK is worth a punt for next year - Baird misses out - but these are the kind of things a manager has to consider. . . 

Don't OK is thinking about anything other than winning and staying in the Premier. He must (rightly) think MacKenzie is a more reliable defender than Baird.

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Starting McAllister is certainly a gamble. Great on the ball but weak defensively.

Don't OK is thinking about anything other than winning and staying in the Premier. He must (rightly) think MacKenzie is a more reliable defender than Baird.

Aye that is the only possibility if you say so . . . .   It was MacK's man who scored for the opposition last week . . . 

Edited by Sweeper07

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Aye that is the only possibility if you say so . . . .   It was MacK's man who scored for the opposition last week . . . 

So you are arguing Kearney is using the 3rd last game of the season when we are in relegation dogfight to run trials for next seasons squad? :lol:

Aye right you are.

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Far more logical possibility than seeing if someone's worth a deal in a game that could see us go tenth...

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

So you are arguing Kearney is using the 3rd last game of the season when we are in relegation dogfight to run trials for next seasons squad? :lol:

Aye right you are.

1 minute ago, codfish said:

Far more logical possibility than seeing if someone's worth a deal in a game that could see us go tenth...

Both Baird and MacK are good CB's - Baird is secured for next season - MacK is not - MacK often looks more comfortable on the ball, but he is no where near as mobile etc. etc.

So OK has no quibbles about playing wither - Just as JR did - we have had the argument last season that McK came in and Baird got dropped, but the facts showed that Baird played more games with MacK on the bench than the other way round...

Actually it good to get some playing time out of MacK after collecting wages all season long with not so many minutes played...

You ever played in a team where the manager was trying to keep more than one player happy in certain positions each week? I have... Managers need to keep more than 11 people in full fighting fettle . . .

Just now, Sweeper07 said:

Both Baird and MacK are good CB's - Baird is secured for next season - MacK is not - MacK often looks more comfortable on the ball, but he is no where near as mobile etc. etc.

So OK has no quibbles about playing wither - Just as JR did - we have had the argument last season that McK came in and Baird got dropped, but the facts showed that Baird played more games with MacK on the bench than the other way round...

Actually it good to get some playing time out of MacK after collecting wages all season long with not so many minutes played...

You ever played in a team where the manager was trying to keep more than one player happy in certain positions each week? I have... Managers need to keep more than 11 people in full fighting fettle . . .

So OK's picking what he believes is the best team for the situation then? Not that he's allowing MacKenzie a chance to earn a deal?

Neither Kemp nor myself were making any comments on whether GMacK is better than Baird - simply that OK's not going to be gambling with team selection at this stage just because he has an out of contract centre half just back from a long term injury that he'd like to assess before the end of the season. Contract status will have sod all to do with who starts between now and a week on Monday at the very earliest.

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

Agree with that, but thats not what your original post said :lol:

There isn't much between Mac and Baird, Kearney has used both as you say. Possibly came down to how both trained this week.

So OK's picking what he believes is the best team for the situation then? Not that he's allowing MacKenzie a chance to earn a deal?

Neither Kemp nor myself were making any comments on whether GMacK is better than Baird - simply that OK's not going to be gambling with team selection at this stage just because he has an out of contract centre half just back from a long term injury that he'd like to assess before the end of the season. Contract status will have sod all to do with who starts between now and a week on Monday at the very earliest.

You completely missed my point - whether MacK or Baird plays, there is little to choose between them ability wise - so it is a close call depending on all factors... As well as the reason I cited previously, there will be other factors too of course, perhaps experience is one that also swayed this decision and we have no idea if Baird had a cold or something this week etc...

Anyway you guys appear to think that MacK is better - fine - that's your opinion - others will agree and others won't - I don't think there is much between them and that is mine... but against wee faster Forwards like Kane last week - MacK is weaker . . .

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Agree with that, but thats not what your original post said :lol:

There isn't much between Mac and Baird, Kearney has used both as you say. Possibly came down to how both trained this week.

Kearney also seems sensitive to helping players coming back from injury to continue their recovery; for example he has said he plans to bring Magennis on from the bench between now and the end of the season since he has had 3 big injuries this season and doesn't want to throw him into a full 90 minutes. With MacKenzie he was given 90 minutes against Dundee and rested for the game afterwards after stiffening up fora few days after his first game for the first team this season. 

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Started on the back foot again.

Motherwell force Hladky into a good save then the rebound is cleared off the line.

Big let off inside 5 minutes.

0-0

1 minute ago, elvis said:

Just a matter of time then.

Misery loves company.

9 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

You completely missed my point - whether MacK or Baird plays, there is little to choose between them ability wise - so it is a close call depending on all factors... As well as the reason I cited previously, there will be other factors too of course, perhaps experience is one that also swayed this decision and we have no idea if Baird had a cold or something this week etc...

Anyway you guys appear to think that MacK is better - fine - that's your opinion - others will agree and others won't - I don't think there is much between them and that is mine... but against wee faster Forwards like Kane last week - MacK is weaker . . .

Nope. I quoted your assertion that MacKenzie was only playing because OK wanted to give him a chance of earning a deal. I've then been pretty clear that that's bollocks, and the selection will be because OK believes it's the best way of winning the game. Last I checked, I wasn't Oran Kearney.

For what it's worth, I agree that Baird and MacKenzie offer different things, but are broadly similar in terms of overall ability. Not that you were making that argument in the first place.

Nope. I quoted your assertion that MacKenzie was only playing because OK wanted to give him a chance of earning a deal. I've then been pretty clear that that's bollocks, and the selection will be because OK believes it's the best way of winning the game. Last I checked, I wasn't Oran Kearney.

For what it's worth, I agree that Baird and MacKenzie offer different things, but are broadly similar in terms of overall ability. Not that you were making that argument in the first place.

Ok do you want me to detail ALL my thoughts in a forum post or post an opinion that you can pounce upon if you think it is an incomplete or wrong opinion?

Anyway it looks like we are not too far apart in our opinions after all . . . 

Ok do you want me to detail ALL my thoughts in a forum post or post an opinion that you can pounce upon if you think it is an incomplete or wrong opinion?
Anyway it looks like we are not too far apart in our opinions after all . . . 

Only if you plan to pass something off as fact ;)

Anyway, mon eh Saints!