Motherwell v St. Mirren 4th May 2019

Sweeper07

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Like I said, you clearly have never worked under pressure.

It's easy to be an armchair critic. Our boys (some of them not even or barely out of their teens) are having to ACTUALLY deal with this pressure and IMO you need to back off and show more consideration of their efforts.

You talk some power of shite bud.

Happily Magennis did a 'Mullen' today with a spectacular last gasp equaliser.

But the last 2 performances have done nothing to indicate that we will be able to repeat this for a third match in succession.

We appear to have just the one game plan - sit deep and absorb the pressure and rely on spectacular last-minute efforts.

Do we have the mindset to take the initiative against Hamilton as we will have to do - or will we simply rely on last gasp spectacular efforts once again?

Our paucity of decision making and creativity in the final third will be a determining factor on our chances of survival.

I am waggling my willy at you Elvis, you depressing turd.
You really do have a miserable existence, don't you ?
[emoji14]
Actually I dont I have a very very good existence 3 or 4 holidays a year a young good looking wife loads of money can't ask for anything more. My life is great. Thanks very much.

just home from trip 'up the road' to meet HSS as it 'appens!
listened to Sportsound all the way home....was hoping for a Dundee equaliser but cheered the Tesco car park like a  crazy man when our goal went in.
We would have accepted this situation 6 months ago and I think we can yet finish above Hamilton.
I'm away to look back a few pages till about 4.45!
COYS

Just now, elvis said:
15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:
I am waggling my willy at you Elvis, you depressing turd.
You really do have a miserable existence, don't you ?
emoji14.png

Actually I dont I have a very very good existence 3 or 4 holidays a year a young good looking wife loads of money can't ask for anything more. My life is great. Thanks very much.

Maybe so, but we all know that you will die sitting on the shitter.

Poor performance today but I remain optimistic. 

We have pulled results against the 3 best sides of the bottom six and now Accies and Dundee await. 

It certainly wouldn't be a unique set of circumstances that pull us back. It's completely in our own hands to set up a last day showdown - my only worry is that Hamilton will come to paisley intent on the point they need and we don't look very capable of breaking a stuffy team down.... If we can though, I believe they will feel the pressure going into the last day as much as we do. St. Johnstone and Dundee both have nothing to play for but Dundee have now completely downed tools given that most of them will be out the door following our match vs them. 

This CAN still be done without a playoff. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

That is a tremendous result for a Saints team which was all but relegated just a few weeks ago.

Immediate relegation has been avoided and I think that the whole team deserves a lot of respect for that.

These players are digging out results against 3 teams 20+ points ahead of ourselves at a time when they are under enormous pressure to save jobs at the club and their own careers. That is something a few of the roasters above don't seem to be able to get their thick skulls around.

Anyone wittering on about our performances clearly knows nothing about having to perform under such pressure.

Anyone wittering on about how Motherwell players have nothing to play for clearly doesn't understand anything about having a career in football.

If we can beat Hamilton next week we'll be going to Dundee a single point behind. I'd take those odds now.

In fact I'll take a play-off right now as long as we go into them with the momentum we have now.

Everyone is tlaking about Dundee Utd but I am sure it'll be Inverness.

We should all be extremely confident about beating any play-off opponent over two matches with this set of players.

Brilliant post. Replying so as reproduced in full. 

Guest TPAFKATS

We'd all have taken avoiding a straight relegation.
We've achieved that and with 2 games to go we can still avoid a play off.
Today reminded me of raith away 2 years ago... Until the 94th minute that is [emoji4]

Bit of reflection after this disappointment we must still win our last 2 games. There is still a chance Hamilton can drop points in the last game against the fakes. We must still do the push on and off the park. Off the ball sent a  congratulations to the ST MIRREN SUPPORT for the vocal backing at recent games. Keep it up everyone of us. 

Bit of reflection after this disappointment we must still win our last 2 games. There is still a chance Hamilton can drop points in the last game against the fakes. We must still do the push on and off the park. Off the ball sent a  congratulations to the ST MIRREN SUPPORT for the vocal backing at recent games. Keep it up everyone of us. 

We don’t have to win our last two games right enough. A win against Hamilton and a draw against Dundee will be enough if Hamilton don’t win against St J.

Problem is it’s out our hands, which it wasn’t this morning.

Even if we win in Paisley next Monday, we will still be relying on the Saintees on the final day.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Poor performance today but I remain optimistic. 

We have pulled results against the 3 best sides of the bottom six and now Accies and Dundee await. 

It certainly wouldn't be a unique set of circumstances that pull us back. It's completely in our own hands to set up a last day showdown - my only worry is that Hamilton will come to paisley intent on the point they need and we don't look very capable of breaking a stuffy team down.... If we can though, I believe they will feel the pressure going into the last day as much as we do. St. Johnstone and Dundee both have nothing to play for but Dundee have now completely downed tools given that most of them will be out the door following our match vs them. 

This CAN still be done without a playoff. 

I am with you on this. We need to rattle Hamilton from the off - maybe a game for Nazon to start if he will work hard for 30 - 45 minutes. They lose far more games when they lose the 1st goal. We need to get the 1st 2 - can we yes - will we ?  

After 25 games we had a grand total of 12 points. Over the next couple of matches we went away to Pittodrie and Tynecastle and picked up a point at both venues but found ourselves 5 points behind Hamilton and Dundee on 16th February. Shortly after that we fell 7 points behind Hamilton. 

Whatever happens over the next two games Oran Kearney and the players deserve  credit for hauling us into a position where we are safe from automatic relegation with 2 games left, and getting us to a point where we might end up breaking the 30 point barrier when, at one stage, we were looking as if we could finish with a record low points tally. We've had the toughest start to the split games in the bottom half of the league, facing the best three teams and having two of those 3 games away from home. If we can beat Hamilton we will go into the last match of the season having reduced their lead over us at the start of March from 7 points down to 1 point and they'll have St Johnstone at home in their final game... St Johnstone will be wanting to finish 7th if they can and it is looking quite tight between themselves and Motherwell to finish top of the bottom 6.

Apologies folks but I have to rant

1-1 against Motherwell is a good result which keeps us in it but it wasn't the best we could do and I think the playoffs are now our fate.

Was it just me or did anyone else think "stop fannying about. Get the ball out the net and stop wasting time" when we equalised. Jackson took about 3 weeks to get back in to our half after the goal and looked like he was timewasting. Feck get moving and go for a winner.

Sorry if I seem out of order but the goal celebrations were OTT when the point was irrelevant and only a win would have made a difference.

I appreciate another goal was never guaranteed but go for it guys don't accept anything other than a desperately needed victory.

The sight of players wasting time on celebrations and taking ages to cross our half way line made me question their commitment.

I hate to criticise the team but for the first time this season I wonder if they have the fight to stay up.

Thousands of us stay till the bitter end every week. Why did the team chuck it after the equalizer.

Sorry for the rant. Not a happy bud.

Apologies folks but I have to rant

1-1 against Motherwell is a good result which keeps us in it but it wasn't the best we could do and I think the playoffs are now our fate.

Was it just me or did anyone else think "stop fannying about. Get the ball out the net and stop wasting time" when we equalised. Jackson took about 3 weeks to get back in to our half after the goal and looked like he was timewasting. Feck get moving and go for a winner.

Sorry if I seem out of order but the goal celebrations were OTT when the point was irrelevant and only a win would have made a difference.

I appreciate another goal was never guaranteed but go for it guys don't accept anything other than a desperately needed victory.

The sight of players wasting time on celebrations and taking ages to cross our half way line made me question their commitment.

I hate to criticise the team but for the first time this season I wonder if they have the fight to stay up.

Thousands of us stay till the bitter end every week. Why did the team chuck it after the equalizer.

Sorry for the rant. Not a happy bud.
Wouldn't say the players chucked it. Wasn't a good performance but the effort was def there. Well are a decent team.

12 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

After 25 games we had a grand total of 12 points. Over the next couple of matches we went away to Pittodrie and Tynecastle and picked up a point at both venues but found ourselves 5 points behind Hamilton and Dundee on 16th February. Shortly after that we fell 7 points behind Hamilton. 

Whatever happens over the next two games Oran Kearney and the players deserve  credit for hauling us into a position where we are safe from automatic relegation with 2 games left, and getting us to a point where we might end up breaking the 30 point barrier when, at one stage, we were looking as if we could finish with a record low points tally. We've had the toughest start to the split games in the bottom half of the league, facing the best three teams and having two of those 3 games away from home. If we can beat Hamilton we will go into the last match of the season having reduced their lead over us at the start of March from 7 points down to 1 point and they'll have St Johnstone at home in their final game... St Johnstone will be wanting to finish 7th if they can and it is looking quite tight between themselves and Motherwell to finish top of the bottom 6.

Whilst I do acknowledge the improvement in our points tally since February, I would suggest that Dundee losing 10 games in a row was the major contributory factor in our moving off the bottom of the league. We can't claim an awful lot of credit for that, eh ?

Wouldn't say the players chucked it. Wasn't a good performance but the effort was def there. Well are a decent team.
Don't disagree. Anything from this game was a bonus and despite the Hamilton result I would have been happy with 1-1.

Up till the point we scored I couldn't fault the team. The celebrations were pointless though as 0 points or 1 point still meant winning two games. To be fair so probably did 3 points but spending 2 minutes of the 3 extra time minutes celebrating and reorganizing did my head in.

Maybe its just me.

SMTID

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Whilst I do acknowledge the improvement in our points tally since February, I would suggest that Dundee losing 10 games in a row was the major contributory factor in our moving off the bottom of the league. We can't claim an awful lot of credit for that, eh ?

In another season we could just about have been relegated by the end of January had we not had 2 other teams in Hamilton and Dundee who had equally dreadful starts to the league campaign as ourselves.

You could argue that with us hitting mid-table form over the final quarter this has been the main factor in us getting off the foot of the table:

2nd March:  St Mirren 1 - Livingston 0

11th March: St Mirren 0 - Kilmarnock 1 (Killie get a winner with a few minutes left)

27th March: St Johnstone 1 - St Mirren 0 (the night of the Jackson penalty miss)

30th March: St Mirren 2 - Dundee 1

3rd April: St Mirren 0 - Celtic 2

6th April: Hamilton 1- St Mirren 1

20th April: Livingston 1 - St Mirren 3

27th April: St Mirren 1 - St Johnstone 1

4th May: Motherwell 1 - St Mirren 1

12 points from 9 games, 2 of the 3 defeats came against top 3 sides. A sequence of results completely unthinkable for us prior to the Christmas.