Coronavirus

faraway saint

42 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Got to love this @bazil85 type stupidity from the BBC:

“For a full fortnight there have been no new daily deaths. A total of 4,201 fatalities have now been linked to Covid-19, including eight last week, according to NRS figures“

No new deaths AND 8 new deaths all in the same time period and all in the same paragraph.

You’d think that, unlike baz, a professional journalist would maybe look a bit deeper and explain what the numbers actually mean.....

Seems like a lack of understanding on your part. 

Glad to hear that your treatment has restarted.
I think you're probably right about the timescales on everything but I have to say that if we're still distancing and wearing masks by the end of September (and I think we probably will be) then that is going to be absolutely disastrous for the economy. I dread to think how many are going to be on the dole in October when furlough stops.
Just as an aside, we were in St Andrews last night and walked past 5 or 6 discarded masks which were just chucked on the ground at random points on two of the main central shopping streets. Some people are just scum. Of course our dog wanted to eat all of them......
It was all mapped out today 14 September for SD crowds hopefully

6 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't really like your social Darwinism but I agree with that there is so much contradictory evidence about the pandemic that anyone who claims to have all the answers is fooling themselves but as I've said pretty much all along we should err on the side of caution so I've supported the lockdown flawed as it has been, and I can point you to a Guardian article by • David Hunter is the Richard Doll professor of epidemiology and medicine at the University of Oxford; Neil Pearce is professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/29/britain-ditches-overseas-travel-coronavirus-spanish-covid-19

I've let my passport lapse, I'll never go abroad again. My main disappointment with the article is that the suggestion that we should bail out international airways - an unnecessary extravagance. It'll never happen not now that BJ has abandoned his "Fuck Business" persona! 

The argument that we should close the borders of the UK to travel right now is a persuasive one. There may be unintended side effects to that which would need consideration (trade and citizens already abroad) but it's a persuasive argument nonetheless. It's high risk and there appears to be low gain. If that closure is just for this year to see if elimination is possible then that might be a worthwhile approach.

I haven't yet heard a good argument in favour of allowing international travel and certainly not for holidays.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

So that's Andy and oaksoft both taking the they would've died anyway approach.
Thin the herd and help the economy. Couple of sociopathic twats

Everyone else is having an adult conversation on this thread except you and Baz.

You guys really need to drop this nonsense.

23 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:
Usually only read the first line or 2, It's the same old claptrap everytime. everyone's entitled to their opinion on covid I get that but... C.T.F 
when you say alias Andy... are we talking maybe Shull ?? sounds like 

No, Andy isnt shull. He is a friend of the forum's owner though which may explain why he's been getting away with his cuntish behaviour for so many years.

That makes sense who is he when he's no Sue 

1 hour ago, Sue Denim said:

It’s in retreat, all over Europe, including Sweden, where they didn’t lockdown.

Problem in the U.K. is that we followed policies that exacerbated the crisis and killed thousands of people. 

And I’m extremely fit and healthy btw. I don’t need anyone politician to tell me how to keep healthy. I take responsibility for my own health.

The only problems I have just now are that I can’t get any dental treatment because Nicola Sturgeon won’t allow it and I can’t go to the gym at least until September.

Nicola Sturgeon is hindering me trying to stay fit and healthy. 

I was at the dentist 2 weeks ago to get a broken tooth fixed. 

Had to go private but fixed for £45.

Just now, Tommy said:

I was at the dentist 2 weeks ago to get a broken tooth fixed. 

Had to go private but fixed for £45.

Indeed.

If you had run/walked there and back, that would have negated the requirement to attend any gym.:)

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Everyone else is having an adult conversation on this thread except you and Baz.

You guys really need to drop this nonsense.

I've changed my mind. I've seen the light. You are the second coming of Christ.

You are the moral guide of our generation.

Praise the Lord God Bazil !!!

Just because you agree with different people on here, it doesn't mean their or your conversation style is anymore "adult"

You are extremely petty, stubborn and get upset at the slightest point people don't agree with you on. It is practically a definition of arguing with a child. 

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Right well let's start with the misquote - the report said could!

Let's go onto the deliberate false comparison - the common cold comprises over 200 strains the fight against Covid-19 has not yet reached that stage.

Back to my original point - I quoted two eminent scientists who seem to think the virus can be eliminated at least in the UK until better treatments (some of which already exist compared to the first wave) and hopefully a vaccine can be developed - I'll trust them ahead of you.

Majority opinion is that lockdowns, track'n'trace & mask wearing reduce the spread of the Corona virus. Mistakes were made in Phase 1 of the pandemic, here and in many countries people have died needlessly - you're not the only one to realize that and your smugness is totally out of place. I still favour a cautious approach albeit one that is less oppressive to people with other illnesses that back in March-May - the aim if a second phase of the pandemic occurs must be to apply the lessons learned so far & help as many as possible.

Perhaps you're correct about the quality of life for people in care homes with dementia - I'm sure you have an, erm final, solution for this.

On a side note (& to use your tactics) people have been dying of starvation somewhere in the third world as long as I can remember Cap'n and this sympathy for them is the first time any of your personae has cared about it.

The number of strains is irrelevant. If lockdown and restrictions work to eliminate Covid then they’ll eliminate all strains of influenza and the common cold at the same time.

Plenty of eminent scientists disagree that we can eliminate Covid. I’ll take their opinion over yours. 

I’m not really bothered what is or isn’t the majority opinion on anything. I make up my own mind and if it goes against the majority then so be it.

In the early 20th century, smoking was recommended for asthma.

Heroin was developed as a less addictive substitute for morphine.

And lockdowns were once used in medieval times...... 

You’ll be advocating the return of using leeches next. 

“When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind” CS Lewis

And, until governments around the world panicked, the majority opinion before this year was that lockdowns and mask wearing don’t work.

Netherlands came out today and advised that there is no evidence they work for example.

https://whtc.com/news/articles/2020/jul/29/dutch-government-will-not-advise-public-to-wear-masks-minister/1044325/#.XyJ6C1oP9yk.twitter

And a quick look at mortality in Sweden compared with the U.K. this year certainly doesn’t appear to show that lockdown has worked.

My final solution for people in care homes would have been to protect them, look after them and allow them access to healthcare.

The policy you backed was to throw them out of hospitals, sedate them, frighten them, deny them access to healthcare and abandon to die.

As for the starving, the numbers being quoted by the Lancet ( a good old fashioned extreme left wing publication) is that more than 100 million people will die over and above the numbers already dying of starvation.

It seems that is an acceptable by product for some people to be able signal their virtue. 

Edited by Sue Denim

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Scotland 4th worst in Europe and hit worse than Sweden.

I’m guessing you weren’t posting these to back my point of view but thanks anyway. 😜

I’m guessing though that your real point was, hey, it doesn’t matter that Scotland’s increase in the  death rate is so bad, cos at least England’s increase was worse.....

Edited by Sue Denim

3 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
5 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:
Usually only read the first line or 2, It's the same old claptrap everytime. everyone's entitled to their opinion on covid I get that but... C.T.F 
when you say alias Andy... are we talking maybe Shull ?? sounds like 

No, Andy isnt shull. He is a friend of the forum's owner though which may explain why he's been getting away with his cuntish behaviour for so many years.

^^^^ Verge of tears 

21 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

The number of strains is irrelevant. If lockdown and restrictions work to eliminate Covid then they’ll eliminate all strains of influenza and the common cold at the same time.

Plenty of eminent scientists disagree that we can eliminate Covid. I’ll take their opinion over yours. 

I’m not really bothered what is or isn’t the majority opinion on anything. I make up my own mind and if it goes against the majority then so be it.

In the early 20th century, smoking was recommended for asthma.

Heroin was developed as a less addictive substitute for morphine.

And lockdowns were once used in medieval times...... 

You’ll be advocating the return of using leeches next. 

“When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind” CS Lewis

And, until governments around the world panicked, the majority opinion before this year was that lockdowns and mask wearing don’t work.

Netherlands came out today and advised that there is no evidence they work for example.

https://whtc.com/news/articles/2020/jul/29/dutch-government-will-not-advise-public-to-wear-masks-minister/1044325/#.XyJ6C1oP9yk.twitter

And a quick look at mortality in Sweden compared with the U.K. this year certainly doesn’t appear to show that lockdown has worked.

My final solution for people in care homes would have been to protect them, look after them and allow them access to healthcare.

The policy you backed was to throw them out of hospitals, sedate them, frighten them, deny them access to healthcare and abandon to die.

As for the starving, the numbers being quoted by the Lancet ( a good old fashioned extreme left wing publication) is that more than 100 million people will die over and above the numbers already dying of starvation.

It seems that is an acceptable by product for some people to be able signal their virtue. 

You've just undercut your argument, smart people learn from their mistakes and change their behaviour - you're a stuck record reduced to gloating about peoples deaths.

As for virtue signalling we're all doing it but some of us realise it - like I said as if you or any of your previous personae care about the starving millions.

No doubt we'll keep on quoting experts who "agree with us" comparing apples & oranges, like the song goes....

My expert and your expert were sit-tin' by the fire
My expert told your expert "I'm gon-na set your flag on fire

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now hey now I-ko, I-ko, un-day
Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

If you had run/walked there and back, that would have negated the requirement to attend any gym.:)

I have plantar fasciitis at the moment and gave up cycling 3 years ago and sold my bike.

My only means of real cardio was to go to the gym. 

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

You've just undercut your argument, smart people learn from their mistakes and change their behaviour - you're a stuck record reduced to gloating about peoples deaths.

As for virtue signalling we're all doing it but some of us realise it - like I said as if you or any of your previous personae care about the starving millions.

No doubt we'll keep on quoting experts who "agree with us" comparing apples & oranges, like the song goes....

The only gloating about deaths I’ve seen throughout the crisis has come from the either the virtue signallers or the Nats or both.

It would have been difficult to care about a massive increase in the starving before it actually happened. 

9 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

I have plantar fasciitis at the moment and gave up cycling 3 years ago and sold my bike.

Between that and the toothache nay wunner yer dain yer nut  :lol:  

Right that's it am oot of here going back to the fitba stuff, for the first time in a few years am really looking forward to season starting not biting my nails and fearing the worst  :byebye

Josh Heaton against Spartans done that to me

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

Choice of a 80 min walk there and back or the car since it was pissing of rain, so car won  :lol:

No chance of me running with my big stomach and knacked knees  :lol:

Cycling has been my salvation from PF, which is a hellish condition like walking on broken glass 

done properly, you can simultaneously stretch and strengthen the back of the whole leg when pedalling which takes the strain off the sole of the foot

everyone is different though

Not at all. I’ve already explained the zero and the 8 so clearly I understand it. 

I see nothing in that paragraph that explains it though. 

NRS figures are for deaths registered which is not the same date as the death. NS has always been very transparent on what she is saying regarding previous day hospital deaths. You not understanding something does not progress your argument. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Cycling has been my salvation from PF, which is a hellish condition like walking on broken glass 

done properly, you can simultaneously stretch and strengthen the back of the whole leg when pedalling which takes the strain off the sole of the foot

everyone is different though
Indeed.
I've never heard of it being an issue for cycling, but I've absolutely no cause to doubt anything Andy states on this forum.

It's not as if he's a proven liar...