Jim Goodwin and Danny Mullen

It hasn't escaped everyone's notice that Danny Mullen has hardly played a game this season which, given his contribution in saving us from relegation last season, (especially against Dundee Utd) raises the question, 'why'?  

Under the Kearney regime Danny was up there amongst the best we had.  This season, I still believe he is more than capable of excelling himself beyond the level of creativity some of the others in forward positions have demonstrated.  I feel at least he should be used as a sub and hopefully break the repetitive failures of those subs who are continually picked.  So, what's happening?  If he is unfit then he wouldn't be on the bench.  We couldn't say, 'off-form' as he hasn't been playing enough to evaluate his form which leads me to the speculative reasoning that Jim and Danny have disagreements.  Generally, I have more sympathy with the manager under those circumstances as they have greater responsibilities in dealing every aspect of organising the playing squad than having to change strategy to accommodate a single player.  However, it's also part of managerial tasks to resolve problems between manager and players who have arrived at this unfortunate point.

After last night's result the egos must now be laid aside as the future of the club in the Premiership is now under threat.  Danny should now be given a chance.

Looking forward to the Jim Goodwin and Cody Cooke thread!

I think if Danny Mullen was fit and playing for most of the season he would get 5-10 goals a season, likewise Cody Cooke - not a great return for a striker but not a million miles away from what you can expect at many other bottom 6 clubs. Obika has shown he can probably get 10-15 goals in a season but I'm not sure Morias would get as many goals as Cooke and Mullen and yet he is preferred to them week in and week out - I don't think you can make a case that Morias is so creative that he gets so many goals for others that his lack of goals is negated by his assists. And then there is Andreu - missed both penalties he has taken this season and a few sitters and obviously low on confidence or fitness and yet Jim consistently turns to him as our first sub on to change the game in our favour... fair enough if we are low on attacking options but McAlister seems to be returning to fitness and looked decent against Aberdeen, and we have Mullen, Cooke and Chabbi as other attacking options most weeks.

6 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Looking forward to the Jim Goodwin and Cody Cooke thread!

I think if Danny Mullen was fit and playing for most of the season he would get 5-10 goals a season, likewise Cody Cooke - not a great return for a striker but not a million miles away from what you can expect at many other bottom 6 clubs. Obika has shown he can probably get 10-15 goals in a season but I'm not sure Morias would get as many goals as Cooke and Mullen and yet he is preferred to them week in and week out - I don't think you can make a case that Morias is so creative that he gets so many goals for others that his lack of goals is negated by his assists. And then there is Andreu - missed both penalties he has taken this season and a few sitters and obviously low on confidence or fitness and yet Jim consistently turns to him as our first sub on to change the game in our favour... fair enough if we are low on attacking options but McAlister seems to be returning to fitness and looked decent against Aberdeen, and we have Mullen, Cooke and Chabbi as other attacking options most weeks.

Competition for places is good for the team but hard on those left out. Fans can have opinions, I do too but the manager stands or falls by his decisions. That's as it should be. 

42 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Competition for places is good for the team but hard on those left out. Fans can have opinions, I do too but the manager stands or falls by his decisions. That's as it should be. 

I disagree, otherwise we wouldn't be sitting with the lowest goal tally. 

2 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

It hasn't escaped everyone's notice that Danny Mullen has hardly played a game this season which, given his contribution in saving us from relegation last season, (especially against Dundee Utd) raises the question, 'why'?  

Under the Kearney regime Danny was up there amongst the best we had.  This season, I still believe he is more than capable of excelling himself beyond the level of creativity some of the others in forward positions have demonstrated.  I feel at least he should be used as a sub and hopefully break the repetitive failures of those subs who are continually picked.  So, what's happening?  If he is unfit then he wouldn't be on the bench.  We couldn't say, 'off-form' as he hasn't been playing enough to evaluate his form which leads me to the speculative reasoning that Jim and Danny have disagreements.  Generally, I have more sympathy with the manager under those circumstances as they have greater responsibilities in dealing every aspect of organising the playing squad than having to change strategy to accommodate a single player.  However, it's also part of managerial tasks to resolve problems between manager and players who have arrived at this unfortunate point.

After last night's result the egos must now be laid aside as the future of the club in the Premiership is now under threat.  Danny should now be given a chance.

Ahead of who ??? I don't see too much issue with the strikers it's the shocking lack of service, the creativity is non existent. Best strikers in the country would struggle on the service provided last night.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

I don’t rate Mullen as a starter but he’s a good impact sub. Plenty of energy, a pain in the ass for tiring defenders, and crucially, while not a major goalscorer he can pick a goal out of nothing as he’s willing to strike from range when he gets the space to. 

As I say above I would never start the lad, but he can still change a game later on. Ffs he’s got to be better than Andreu.

New manager favours his own signings, it's not a new story.

It's JGs prerogative but I'd have been tempted to play Mullen ahead of all three chosen last night, Chabbi especially seems to be a signing we could've done without although I will probably have to eat my words when he scores a hat-trick for us in the play-offs! :bag

Goody/the club wanted him (Danny Diver)gone in January. Dont know why his move to Dundee fell through. He simply isnt rated by Goody as his return on chances created/given is so poor.
Although he thinks he's a six foot plus striker he is a half decent championship winger.
He gets bossed in every game in this league.

15 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Goody/the club wanted him (Danny Diver)gone in January. Dont know why his move to Dundee fell through. He simply isnt rated by Goody as his return on chances created/given is so poor.
Although he thinks he's a six foot plus striker he is a half decent championship winger.
He gets bossed in every game in this league.

The move fell through as Dundee needed a left back as news  that day their regular left back was out for some time

Poor Danny he should be getting used as sub as he can score goals

If your go to men aren't doing the business swallow your pride and do what best for the club

The move fell through as Dundee needed a left back as news  that day their regular left back was out for some time
Poor Danny he should be getting used as sub as he can score goals
If your go to men aren't doing the business swallow your pride and do what best for the club
But Obika is scoring, in fact he is twice as effective as Mullen was.
Mullen ain't a striker!

16 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:
25 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

So he's our second most prolific goalscorer on a goals per minute played basis, just behind Obika.

Andreu has the most assists. I think that's why he was brought on. 

Guest TPAFKATS
But Obika is scoring, in fact he is twice as effective as Mullen was.
Mullen ain't a striker!
No one seems to be suggesting obika should be replaced by mullen. We are however playing with 2 forwards in most games. It's not beyond the realms of possibilities that we replace one forward with mullen either to start or during a game.

He is, IMO, close to Durmus as the best finisher we have at the club.
He's not Jim's signing though

No one seems to be suggesting obika should be replaced by mullen. We are however playing with 2 forwards in most games. It's not beyond the realms of possibilities that we replace one forward with mullen either to start or during a game.

He is, IMO, close to Durmus as the best finisher we have at the club.
He's not Jim's signing though
I refer you to my previous answer. Mullen wants to play striker. Obika is literally... head & shoulders above him.

I think Danny and Cody are suffering for their failure in the league cup at the very earliest stage.

Obviously we dont know what's going on at training or elsewhere but I do think we are shooting ourselves in the foot with using exactly same substitutions every match.

Danny can be frustrating, but boy can he smack them home when it counts.

Mullen wants to play striker?
Aye... that's the position he thinks he's best at. But he invariably ends up running out to, and tries to run back in from the wing before being dispossessed, or fluffing it.
The reason we, and Obika are scoring and picking up more points is simply that Obika can hold it up, and bring others in to play.
With Mullen he just runs till he loses it or on the odd occasion gets a shot away.
He wastes way too much possession.
That's why Goody doesn't rate him.