Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
shull

Your All Time Favourite St Mirren Eleven Plus Manager

Recommended Posts

Not necessarily the best football players you have seen but players you liked and admired in the black and white. They may have been below par skill wise but fought hard for the cause.

Mine......

Manager - Danny Lennon

1.  Danny Stevenson

2. Sandy Cleland

3. John Mowat

4. Tony Fitzpatrick

5. Gordon McQueen

6. Willie Fulton

7. Bobby McKean

8. Billy Stark

9. Dougie Somner

10. Lex Richardson.

11.  Jackie McGillivray

Beat that.

Edited by shull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of remember Fergie but early 80's started going to games with my mates, so plenty I can't remember

Manager - Alex Miller - for consistency of cup runs and challenging for Europe

1) Campbell Money

2) Tommy Wilson

3)Stevie Clarke

4)Tony Fitzpatrick

5) Neal Cooper

6) Paul Fenwick

7)Billie Abercrombie

8 Billy Stark

9) Frank McGarvey

10) Frank McAvennie

11) Peter Weir

 

Subs

12) Gunni

13) Lavetty

14) Mark Fulton

15) Doug Somner

16) Jackie Copland

17) Paul Lambert

18) Hinchcliffe

 

Probably found it easier to name a squad you didn't like Shull

Potter and Elliott would be my Captian and VC, lol

 

 

Edited by chalky1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

Kind of remember Fergie but early 80's started going to games with my mates, so plenty I can't remember

Manager - Alex Miller - for consistency of cup runs and challenging for Europe

1) Campbell Money

2) Tommy Wilson

3)Stevie Clarke

4)Tony Fitzpatrick

5) Neal Cooper

6) Paul Fenwick

7)Billie Abercrombie

8 Billy Stark

9) Frank McGarvey

10) Frank McAvennie

11) Peter Weir

 

Subs

12) Gunni

13) Lavetty

14) Mark Fulton

15) Doug Somner

16) Jackie Copland

17) Paul Lambert

18) Hinchcliffe

 

Probably found it easier to name a squad you didn't like Shull

Potter and Elliott would be my Captian and VC, lol

 

 

Potter & Elliott  ?

I liked Potter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, uhura said:

Victor is the best player ever to have played for St.Mirren

Victor in his day would hsve been the best player but not anywhere near it when he came to Saints. Still was very good but have enjoyed watching other players more. Scanlon and Copland my two favourites. Mcdougall and Macca upfront was a joy.

Now we have Morias and McAllister😓😓😓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, God of war said:

Victor in his day would hsve been the best player but not anywhere near it when he came to Saints. Still was very good but have enjoyed watching other players more. Scanlon and Copland my two favourites. Mcdougall and Macca upfront was a joy.

Now we have Morias and McAllister😓😓😓

Agreed. Victor was obviously still a very good player when he came to us, but not even in my top 5 best players in the stripes.

McAvennie no. 1 for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                           Money

            Aitken   Turner   Cooper

                              Aber

Teale          Victor    Fitzy.         Weir

          McAvennie.   McGarvey

 

Subs. 

Roy,  , Fulton, Munro, Richardson, Scanlon, Torfason, McDougall. 

Manager. Tom Hendre (Simply for the bubble disnae burst season) 

Edited by Prague Buddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

Money

Clarke

Munro

Copeland

Fulton

Stark

Fitzpatrick

Ferguson

McAvennie

McGarvey

Weir

 

Subs.

Hladky

Cooper

Beckett

Richardson

McGinn. John

Morgan

Somner.

 

What a team that would be, if only...

 

 

 

Pretty much nailed it. I'd probably have Thomson in for Money, as thought he was a better all round keeper, cup semis aside, and Beckett maybe for Munro (whose reputation took a hit after walking away from the managers job).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Money

Clarke

Munro

Reid

Copland

Fitzpatrick

Stark

Scanlon

Weir

McGarvey

Somner

No one from 87 onwards because no one from 87 onwards could lace the boots of that 11. (maybe Hladlky).

100% agree with the exception of somehow managing to fit McAvennie in.

The OP though talked about players that you just loved, even if they weren’t necessarily good enough to get in an 11 purely on ability.

On that basis I’d have to add Richardson, Torrance, Beckett and Wilson (Tommy). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

100% agree with the exception of somehow managing to fit McAvennie in.

The OP though talked about players that you just loved, even if they weren’t necessarily good enough to get in an 11 purely on ability.

On that basis I’d have to add Richardson, Torrance, Beckett and Wilson (Tommy). 

yeah, maybe Macca for Scanners...and as for the other 4 you mention they were far superior to the vast majority we've had since those halcyon days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

                           Money

            Aitken   Turner   Cooper

                              Aber

Teale          Victor    Fitzy.         Weir

          McAvennie.   McGarvey

 

Subs. 

Roy,  , Fulton, Munro, Richardson, Scanlon, Torfason, McDougall. 

Manager. Tom Hendre (Simply for the bubble disnae burst season) 

Turner, Aitken and Cooper over Copland???? U mad😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, God of war said:

Turner, Aitken and Cooper over Copland???? U mad😛

It's not about best player.

All about the individual forumsters favourite player.

The player could be good, bad or indifferent at playing the game.

I picked Cleland and Mowat in my Team. They weren't outstanding players but were cult heroes to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, God of war said:

Turner, Aitken and Cooper over Copland???? U mad😛

To be honest, I don't remember ever seeing Copland play (although, I did) , that's why he isn't there. 

I was quite young in those days. I remember Weir (especially 2nd time), Scanlon and Macca, but not Copland. 

Back in those days I was between the age of 5 - 10, so only ever paid attention to the exciting wingers and goalscorers. 

Turner, Cooper and Aitken were more from the era when I started to appreciate defenders aswell. 

Edited by Prague Buddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Connaghan

 

Beckett

Rogerson

Copland

H McLaughlin

 

Richardson

Borthwick

Abercromby

 

McKean

Kane

Scanlon

 

Subs - Adamson , Blair , Somner , A McLeod , Johnston

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...