Jump to content

Saints v Shellic rescheduled. Again.


antrin
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I'm not a fan of Oakie but he is measuring the amount of money involved. If you recall, Setanta paid ridiculous, and ultimately, unsustainable amounts of money to Scottish football for the rights to show games. If that had went viral in a TV kind of way, it could have put Scottish football up there with the best. You could argue that Spanish/Italian/German football is far more appealing than English football but Sky's marketing has conned people into thinking the EPL is the best league in the world.

If Sky walked away from English football that league would be decimated.

I agree, it is the best league in the world

Link to comment
Share on other sites


53 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I agree, it is the best league in the world

Nah...

 

It can currently/possibly be considered the best league in the world by some.  It does currently employ a slab of excellent footballers but that is solely down to the broadcasters paying insane amounts of money to show it - and that it's only that insane amount of broadcasting money which has attracted the best players from round the globe to turn up and try to carve themselves a slice of that obscenely rich cake.  

Best league in the world used to be Italy - it paid the players more than anywhere else.

Also, at one time, Spain was touted as having the 'best' league - as a few clubs there paid crazy money for a while.

For 'best' read 'most mercenary'.  Only a very few clubs can compete with the rich clubs so there is no real quality of genuine competition to win a league.  Which, remarkably, is an integral part of why American Football stays competitive and entertaining.

Real, genuine competition is - for me - the factor that really defines 'best'.  Not the same tired rematches of rich teams against rich teams, with occasional, dutifully dreary David and Goliath tussles.  And a whole load of easily ignored side-issues such as Brighton v Fulham, or Southampton V Wolves... 

 

Edited by antrin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slarti said:
8 hours ago, DougJamie said:
Have you become his PA ?
 

Of course not, he only employs family, you silly boy.

Happily retired now though so not employing anyone at all now.

Just me, my warm fire, and endless stream of coffee and my writing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, antrin said:

Nah...

 

It can currently/possibly be considered the best league in the world by some.  It does currently employ a slab of excellent footballers but that is solely down to the broadcasters paying insane amounts of money to show it - and that it's only that insane amount of broadcasting money which has attracted the best players from round the globe to turn up and try to carve themselves a slice of that obscenely rich cake.  

Best league in the world used to be Italy - it paid the players more than anywhere else.

Also, at one time, Spain was touted as having the 'best' league - as a few clubs there paid crazy money for a while.

For 'best' read 'most mercenary'.  Only a very few clubs can compete with the rich clubs so there is no real quality of genuine competition to win a league.  Which, remarkably, is an integral part of why American Football stays competitive and entertaining.

Real, genuine competition is - for me - the factor that really defines 'best'.  Not the same tired rematches of rich teams against rich teams, with occasional, dutifully dreary David and Goliath tussles.  And a whole load of easily ignored tussles such as Brighton v Fulham, or Southampton V Wolves... 

 

Pep Guardiola indicated a couple of weeks ago, and I would listen to him rather than anyone on a football forum, that the competition in England does make it the best league.

When he was in Spain there was only a handful of game he had to have his players on top of their game, not so in England where there's always "surprise" results as most teams, even the teams in the relegation places, can give the bigger teams a game.

As for American Football being entertaining, aye, a sport RUN by advertising, that, despite the system making the spread of better players, produces many dull/dreary games as the standard is poor. With numerous stoppages a game that's meant to take an hour takes OVER 3 hours. 

The best, for me, is seeing the best players/managers pit themselves against each other which produces more moments of magic that stay in the memories forever.

As for And a whole load of easily ignored tussles such as Brighton v Fulham, or Southampton V Wolves.. you, obviously don't watch these teams as they, especially Wolves, produce lots of cracking football.

Everyone to their own, something that doesn't sit well with you I'm afraid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the game as the current squad is good enough to face the OF with a bit more than a "backs to the wall" damage limitation outlook. Obviously they'll be favourites & you don't often get two victories in a row against either half of the cheeks but hopefully JG can get his tictacs right again and we can party like it's January 30th again! :cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Looking forward to the game as the current squad is good enough to face the OF with a bit more than a "backs to the wall" damage limitation outlook. Obviously they'll be favourites & you don't often get two victories in a row against either half of the cheeks but hopefully JG can get his tictacs right again and we can party like it's January 30th again! :cheers

At least, I agree, we have the squad to give us more hope than we've had for quite a few years.

Even if we lose it's unlikely to be a real horsing, something that was always possible.

So, yeah, look forward and, as usual, give it a go.

Remember last season when plenty were embracing the "park the bus" approach to save our goal difference, thank goodness them days are gone, for now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Pep Guardiola indicated a couple of weeks ago, and I would listen to him rather than anyone on a football forum, that the competition in England does make it the best league.

When he was in Spain there was only a handful of game he had to have his players on top of their game, not so in England where there's always "surprise" results as most teams, even the teams in the relegation places, can give the bigger teams a game.

As for American Football being entertaining, aye, a sport RUN by advertising, that, despite the system making the spread of better players, produces many dull/dreary games as the standard is poor. With numerous stoppages a game that's meant to take an hour takes OVER 3 hours. 

The best, for me, is seeing the best players/managers pit themselves against each other which produces more moments of magic that stay in the memories forever.

As for And a whole load of easily ignored tussles such as Brighton v Fulham, or Southampton V Wolves.. you, obviously don't watch these teams as they, especially Wolves, produce lots of cracking football.

Everyone to their own, something that doesn't sit well with you I'm afraid. 

In fairness FS, of course Pep is going to talk up the league that pays his wages. Do you think if he was still at Barcelona he’d be saying the EPL is the best?

I think all Antrin is saying is that of course the best players are playing in England because that’s where the biggest wages are. That (in itself) does not make it “the best” league. 
For what it’s worth I think all the top divisions in Europe are f**ked and all for the same reason. The Champions League. Every top league in Europe is now dominated by the same tiny group of clubs and the gap just continues to grow. 

Don’t let the perceived competition in the EPL this season cloud that. For one this season it totally f**ked up for all the reasons we know and that competition appears to be dissipating now as the creme rises to the top. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In fairness FS, of course Pep is going to talk up the league that pays his wages. Do you think if he was still at Barcelona he’d be saying the EPL is the best?

I think all Antrin is saying is that of course the best players are playing in England because that’s where the biggest wages are. That (in itself) does not make it “the best” league. 
For what it’s worth I think all the top divisions in Europe are f**ked and all for the same reason. The Champions League. Every top league in Europe is now dominated by the same tiny group of clubs and the gap just continues to grow. 

Don’t let the perceived competition in the EPL this season cloud that. For one this season it totally f**ked up for all the reasons we know and that competition appears to be dissipating now as the creme rises to the top. 

I never said it was the best league, there's no such thing as it's all subjective.

Always has been, nothing changes.

PS Funny how the two best players in the world don't play in England, can't all be down to money. 

 

 

Edited by faraway saint
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I never said it was the best league, there's no such thing as it's all subjective.

Always has been, nothing changes.

PS Funny how the two best players in the world don't play in England, can't all be down to money. 

The £630 million cost that Messi would have incurred to break his contract is most likely the only reason he's not in England.

It certainly appears to be all down to money.

Edited by FTOF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The £630 million cost that Messi would have incurred to break his contract is most likely the only reason he's not in England.

It certainly appears to be all down to money.

There's plenty of top players that don't play in England.

Of course money's a major factor, as it is in most walks of life.

The hypocrite from London went there for one thing, and it wasn't the high crime rate. 

Anyhow I'm out, it is what it is, I enjoy it, always have enjoyed English football, I don't really enjoy watching poor quality sport. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Pep Guardiola indicated a couple of weeks ago, and I would listen to him rather than anyone on a football forum, that the competition in England does make it the best league.

When he was in Spain there was only a handful of game he had to have his players on top of their game, not so in England where there's always "surprise" results as most teams, even the teams in the relegation places, can give the bigger teams a game.

As for American Football being entertaining, aye, a sport RUN by advertising, that, despite the system making the spread of better players, produces many dull/dreary games as the standard is poor. With numerous stoppages a game that's meant to take an hour takes OVER 3 hours. 

The best, for me, is seeing the best players/managers pit themselves against each other which produces more moments of magic that stay in the memories forever.

As for And a whole load of easily ignored tussles such as Brighton v Fulham, or Southampton V Wolves.. you, obviously don't watch these teams as they, especially Wolves, produce lots of cracking football.

Everyone to their own, something that doesn't sit well with you I'm afraid. 

Wot Faraway said in spades

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

There's plenty of top players that don't play in England.

Of course money's a major factor, as it is in most walks of life.

The hypocrite from London went there for one thing, and it wasn't the high crime rate. 

Anyhow I'm out, it is what it is, I enjoy it, always have enjoyed English football, I don't really enjoy watching poor quality sport. 

Just to be clear, I’m not saying I don’t enjoy it here and there. I just won’t have it that it’s universally good and I don’t think it’s as good as it’s made out to be. 
As for tussles between the likes of Fulham and Brighton. Of course you’ll get some good ones. You’ll also get some absolutely shite ones. Just the same as you do between Motherwell and Hibs, or St. Mirren and Ross County etc etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Just to be clear, I’m not saying I don’t enjoy it here and there. I just won’t have it that it’s universally good and I don’t think it’s as good as it’s made out to be. 
As for tussles between the likes of Fulham and Brighton. Of course you’ll get some good ones. You’ll also get some absolutely shite ones. Just the same as you do between Motherwell and Hibs, or St. Mirren and Ross County etc etc. 

Nobody has suggested every game is "magic", you just get more.

Impossible to substantiate "as good as it's made out to be", all in the eye of the beholder.

As for comparing poor Scottish games to poor English games......................:lol:

Anyhow, this thread has deviated away from the game enough.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the Match ramorra.

I am very confident we can dump them again, they're screwed.

No doubt the Game will go ahead despite the snow.

Will listen to Commentary on Radio Scotand although not a great fan of that.

I prefer " OPEN AW MICS " which on occasion can be exciting.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I never said it was the best league, there's no such thing as it's all subjective.

Always has been, nothing changes.

PS Funny how the two best players in the world don't play in England, can't all be down to money

 

 

:lol: Seriously?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Pep Guardiola indicated a couple of weeks ago, and I would listen to him rather than anyone on a football forum, that the competition in England does make it the best league.

When he was in Spain there was only a handful of game he had to have his players on top of their game, not so in England where there's always "surprise" results as most teams, even the teams in the relegation places, can give the bigger teams a game.

As for American Football being entertaining, aye, a sport RUN by advertising, that, despite the system making the spread of better players, produces many dull/dreary games as the standard is poor. With numerous stoppages a game that's meant to take an hour takes OVER 3 hours. 

The best, for me, is seeing the best players/managers pit themselves against each other which produces more moments of magic that stay in the memories forever.

As for And a whole load of easily ignored tussles such as Brighton v Fulham, or Southampton V Wolves.. you, obviously don't watch these teams as they, especially Wolves, produce lots of cracking football.

Everyone to their own, something that doesn't sit well with you I'm afraid. 

Give me a Scottish game any-day over English Premiership, fecking hate it...

Edited by God of war
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In fairness FS, of course Pep is going to talk up the league that pays his wages. Do you think if he was still at Barcelona he’d be saying the EPL is the best?

I think all Antrin is saying is that of course the best players are playing in England because that’s where the biggest wages are. That (in itself) does not make it “the best” league. 
For what it’s worth I think all the top divisions in Europe are f**ked and all for the same reason. The Champions League. Every top league in Europe is now dominated by the same tiny group of clubs and the gap just continues to grow. 

Don’t let the perceived competition in the EPL this season cloud that. For one this season it totally f**ked up for all the reasons we know and that competition appears to be dissipating now as the creme rises to the top. 

I would argue 'the best' players in the world are NOT playing in England. 

Ronaldo, Messi, Lewandowski, Neymar, M'bappe, Haaland. 

The first 5 are probably the top 5 in the world, and none of them play in England. Only one of them ever has. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A see caley v hearts sold nearly 7 thousand virtual tickets for the game ,so got me thinking how many pay for view punters did we get for celtic last visit to paisley and also gers game,so maybe they used to get 2 thousand tickets for away stand but now we can get about 10 thousand as Celtic fans all over the world so do club give us exact details?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

There's plenty of top players that don't play in England.

As I pointed out earlier.

4 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

I would argue 'the best' players in the world are NOT playing in England. 

Ronaldo, Messi, Lewandowski, Neymar, M'bappe, Haaland. 

The first 5 are probably the top 5 in the world, and none of them play in England. Only one of them ever has. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nervy about this one. All results are possible... Just hope we compete and get something out of it - a win would mark an amazing double over them...

Need the whole team to play near their best and them to play without confidence... Ajer off early would help !

Hope we score some more good goals...        

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paul torfason said:

A see caley v hearts sold nearly 7 thousand virtual tickets for the game ,so got me thinking how many pay for view punters did we get for celtic last visit to paisley and also gers game,so maybe they used to get 2 thousand tickets for away stand but now we can get about 10 thousand as Celtic fans all over the world so do club give us exact details?

DJC posted on P&B that the club apparently made £100K by having 8000 extra ppv's for the green bigot game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...