Jason Naismith

Stockholmbud

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Oh well, we must have someone coming in.

Keith Watson, please.

It'll be Irvine across to rightback. Suggestion Twitter last night he gets a year's extension after 25 appearances and there's a young lad coming in from Sunderland to play leftback.

It's a fairly new Twitter account so no idea how reliable it is but a few folk I know followed it quite quickly so maybe they know who is behind it.

Just now, Stu said:

It'll be Irvine across to rightback. Suggestion Twitter last night he gets a year's extension after 25 appearances and there's a young lad coming in from Sunderland to play leftback.

It's a fairly new Twitter account so no idea how reliable it is but a few folk I know followed it quite quickly so maybe they know who is behind it.

The Sunderland LB being quoted is Thomas Robson, 21,  who seems to have only played 4 games for their U23s this season. He did get a start in a Premiership game in May against Watford. Probably nowhere near match fit but he is dropping from the Premiership into the twilight zone.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Aye, that sounds more likely (unfortunately). Irvine really shouldn't be a first pick for either full back position, though.

14 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The Sunderland LB being quoted is Thomas Robson, 21,  who seems to have only played 4 games for their U23s this season. He did get a start in a Premiership game in May against Watford. Probably nowhere near match fit but he is dropping from the Premiership into the twilight zone.

Hmm....

I wonder if we should be confident that this lad would be a better option than Jordan Stewart. Signed to a club at a high level, certainly, but that doesn't always equate to high quality.

Edited by Drew

7 minutes ago, Sonny said:

All very well, but does he know where Sunderland city centre starts and ends?

Just now, Drew said:

Hmm....

I wonder if we should be confident that this lad would be a better option than Jordan Stewart. Signed to a club a high level, certainly, but that doesn't always equate to high quality.

Exhibit 1: Djemba Djemba, Manchester United

10 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Exhibit 1: Djemba Djemba, Manchester United

It has to be said that Djemba Djemba was well past his sell by date. This young lad is possibly coming in from a club at the same level that Paul Dummett was playing. He did not a bad job considering he was a youth team player at that time with no experience.

In our current position he must be a better option than Irvine at left back. 

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

Hmm....

I wonder if we should be confident that this lad would be a better option than Jordan Stewart. Signed to a club at a high level, certainly, but that doesn't always equate to high quality.

The problem is we can never be sure. Up to the manager to make the decision based on what he knows about the player(s), which is more than we do, certainly.

Fingers crossed he gets it right.

2 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

It has to be said that Djemba Djemba was well past his sell by date. This young lad is possibly coming in from a club at the same level that Paul Dummett was playing. He did not a bad job considering he was a youth team player at that time with no experience.

In our current position he must be a better option than Irvine at left back. 

Fair point, but if it means shunting Irvine across to right back whilst losing Naismith, I'm not sure that it will strengthen us.

Edited by Drew

47 minutes ago, Drew said:

Fair point, but if it means shunting Irvine across to right back whilst losing Naismith, I'm not sure that it will strengthen us.

Correct Drew. the only shunting that will strengthen us is shunting Irvine out the team. As for a contract extension, please no.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

To be fair I reckon he has to better at right back than he is at left back....worth trying him on his natural side if we can bring in a decent left back.

It's what i reckon the manager will do fwiw.