Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

5 minutes ago, shull said:

Wasn't a huge music fan in the 1970's . Spent vast majority of funds following St Mirren everywhere.

Managed the Apollo just once. Brother took me to see Lindisfarne in the late 1970's. They were magnificent as was the support act,  a very young Chris Rea who sang most of the Benny Santini set.

Whatever happened to both ?

:clapping

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Was there in November 1973 when The Eagles were the support band for Neil Young. Eagles were magnificent, NY pretty much stank the place out by playing all new material that his audience didn't know. A horrific misjudgment by the great man, the crowd had come to hear classic stuff from After The Goldrush and Harvest.

I was there too!!

And I could not agree more with your comments. What a disappointment.

I was a huge Neil Young fan. As you say, it was soon after Harvest and After the Gold Rush. I never bought another Neil Young album.

50 minutes ago, ianmac said:

I was there too!!

And I could not agree more with your comments. What a disappointment.

I was a huge Neil Young fan. As you say, it was soon after Harvest and After the Gold Rush. I never bought another Neil Young album.

Mind you, I did buy a few Eagles albums after that. They were a real surprise for me that night,

Not actually Paisley, but Paisley had its fair share of theses houses. I spent my early years in one , not as fancy as this one, mind you.

A monument to Scottish home life: why you should visit Tenement House | Architecture | The Guardian

It's a while since I visited it, but it is well worth a visit , especially if you lived in one in the olden days!

13 hours ago, ianmac said:

Not actually Paisley, but Paisley had its fair share of theses houses. I spent my early years in one , not as fancy as this one, mind you.

A monument to Scottish home life: why you should visit Tenement House | Architecture | The Guardian

It's a while since I visited it, but it is well worth a visit , especially if you lived in one in the olden days!

Lots of aspects of this article ring a bell with my younger days.

I stayed in tenements all of my childhood, "closes" were the normal, we had wash houses in the back, not really used for washing, more as "dens" or storage.

Every neighbour took their turn to brush/mop the close and stairs, a pride in how clean it was.

An outside toilet, scary at times, shared between 3 houses.

My parents bed was in a "recess", the great storm had the three of us huddling in their bed, a feeling of safety as the chimneys came crashing down outside.

A coal fire, making paper "sticks" to use as kindling, using the newspaper to create a draught to help it roar into life.

Ginger bottles were a great source of added income.

Aye, not a bad place to live, plenty of friends and neighbours to look out for you if you needed it. 

Edited by faraway saint

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Lots of aspects of this article ring a bell with my younger days.

I stayed in tenements all of my childhood, "closes" were the normal, we had wash houses in the back, not really used for washing, more as "dens" or storage.

Every neighbour took their turn to brush/mop the close and stairs, a pride in how clean it was.

An outside toilet, scary at times, shared between 3 houses.

My parents bed was in a "recess", the great storm had the three of us huddling in their bed, a feeling of safety as the chimneys came crashing down outside.

A coal fire, making paper "sticks" to use as kindling, using the newspaper to create a draught to help it roar into life.

Ginger bottles were a great source of added income.

Aye, not a bad place to live, plenty of friends and neighbours to look out for you if you needed it. 

That's almost exactly as I remember it. My parents slept in the bed recess and we slept in a fold out sofa bed in the good room, which was, of course rarely used. Crazy when you only had two rooms and a scullery.

I did a Modern Scottish History course and I remember reading a stat that says something like 50% of people in Glasgow in the early 50's lived in ONE room of a tenement flat. I will try to track down the actual stat in the book in case I am getting it wrong.

However we had moved up in the world by the time of the great storm.

Our number eventually came up and we moved from a private landlord tenement to a cooncil high flat.

I slept through the storm , but people talked of feeling the building swaying and pictures moving on the walls!

1 hour ago, ianmac said:

That's almost exactly as I remember it. My parents slept in the bed recess and we slept in a fold out sofa bed in the good room, which was, of course rarely used. Crazy when you only had two rooms and a scullery.

I did a Modern Scottish History course and I remember reading a stat that says something like 50% of people in Glasgow in the early 50's lived in ONE room of a tenement flat. I will try to track down the actual stat in the book in case I am getting it wrong.

Our number eventually came up and we moved from a private landlord tenement to a cooncil high flat.

I slept through the storm , but people talked of feeling the building swaying and pictures moving on the walls!

I think it’s amazing how so many people grew up in those living conditions and what changes we have seen in housing today. I firmly believe we were a more caring neighbourly society back then when nearly everyone was in the same boat. Nowadays there appears to be a very selfish attitude within communities. Respect for the police has dropped like a stone.

Our kids and grandkids don’t know how lucky there are. Doubt they will ever have to scrape off ice from inside the windows or get dressed for school in bed, because it was baltic.

As a nation we have come on leaps and bounds in terms of housing and luxuries like washing machines, colour TVs, mobile phones, and central heating (although many won’t be able to use it this winter, but that’s a different topic altogether.)

12 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I think it’s amazing how so many people grew up in those living conditions and what changes we have seen in housing today. I firmly believe we were a more caring neighbourly society back then when nearly everyone was in the same boat. Nowadays there appears to be a very selfish attitude within communities. Respect for the police has dropped like a stone.

Our kids and grandkids don’t know how lucky there are. Doubt they will ever have to scrape off ice from inside the windows or get dressed for school in bed, because it was baltic.

As a nation we have come on leaps and bounds in terms of housing and luxuries like washing machines, colour TVs, mobile phones, and central heating (although many won’t be able to use it this winter, but that’s a different topic altogether.)

I think you need to take the blinkers off if you think everyone is housed in fit accomodation. Many are forced to live in squalid conditions with badly fitted windows and damp all the way up the wall because private landlords get away with it and the "cooncil" route isn't open to the families due to the sell off from the eighties. Not to mention that there are far more without any windows, roof or walls at all. It was in the eighties the that the mantra "greed is good" came into its own for normal folk. As a society, we have regressed since then.

1 hour ago, ianmac said:

Oops, my stat was a bit of an exaggeration:

To go all educational : My ref is 'A Century Of The Scottish People 1830-1950' by T.C. Smout. , in a chapter called 'The Tenement City' he writes:

'In Glasgow in 1951, the proportion of one or two roomed houses was 50%'

20 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I think you need to take the blinkers off if you think everyone is housed in fit accomodation. Many are forced to live in squalid conditions with badly fitted windows and damp all the way up the wall because private landlords get away with it and the "cooncil" route isn't open to the families due to the sell off from the eighties. Not to mention that there are far more without any windows, roof or walls at all. It was in the eighties the that the mantra "greed is good" came into its own for normal folk. As a society, we have regressed since then.

Aye, that's not so good for the minority. 

Thankfully the vast majority are doing OK, and have done for their working lives.

It's not all bad, despite the attempts to make it look all gloom and doom. 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

I never said everyone or everything is ok now with housing. I said there have been massive changes in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

17 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I never said everyone or everything is ok now with housing. I said there have been massive changes in my lifetime.

My apologies if you were using "our" specific to your family. I assumed you were using it in a general term.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

My apologies if you were using "our" specific to your family. I assumed you were using it in a general term.

No problem. I can only go on my personal experience growing up and that of my previous generations. 

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

No roof or walls. ? A garden then.

11 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Aye it's amazing how things started to change when they discovered there was black gold off the coast of Scotland in the early 1960s ,  We had become the richest country in Europe we just never knew it..

As Harold Wilson PM said in papers recently released the Scottish people must never know this.. they would only want their independence 

P.S this is not political statement in the old pic thread.. to prove it here's a recording of my mum and dad just after they got the keys to our first detached bungalow in Cowboy Valley with it's own toilet  1959 I believe 

happy silent film GIF by Charlie Chaplin

Causeyside Street, no idea when, the place I nicked it from never told me. [emoji38]
It's brilliant how it's still easily recognisable. :thumbs2
288197533_5068578416588485_4412294703513093149_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=kF2490aXObQAX9gs8Ew&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT-5HxBL7aQRpZBV2sx-eVT_TRPem8G6zVFisbl9YRvRuQ&oe=62C43A9D
I'd guess circa 1910 - only cos I think that's a middle aged antrin just past the lamppost on the left. :whistle

6 minutes ago, Slarti said:

I'd guess circa 1910 - only cos I think that's a middle aged antrin just past the lamppost on the left. :whistle

I would guess sometime in the late 20s early 30s given that the Russell Institute was completed in 1927 and the style of clothing.

• 2 weeks later...