Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

My mistake about the name. When built, it was a hospital for infection diseases.

Before it closed 2009? It’s was Ross house which was mainly for management teams and health promotion units, however I believe it was previously used as the student nurse accommodation for the area....a few stories have been told about the party’s that occurred over the years, oh Matron! 

2 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Before it closed 2009? It’s was Ross house which was mainly for management teams and health promotion units, however I believe it was previously used as the student nurse accommodation for the area....a few stories have been told about the party’s that occurred over the years, oh Matron! 

Thought it was closed long before then considering the state of it.

The house that i was in was converted in 2014 but i have no idea what it was before.

2 Mid terrace with 2 end Bungalows at either end is the shape, and the other end bungalow from the 1 i had is now on sale on Rightmove. 

3 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I was born in Ross house, the Paisley maternity had only been open a couple of weeks but was full to capacity.. 

Had a few mates that were also born there in the late 60s..

It was definitely student nurse accommodation in the mid 70s through to at least the mid 80's.
I was born in Ross house, the Paisley maternity had only been open a couple of weeks but was full to capacity.. 
Had a few mates that were also born there in the late 60s..
I had a mate that was born there in 65 while just about everyone else I knew was born in Thornhill.

So was my big sister [emoji3526] Barshaw.
But I'll not ask you if you remember her. :whistle
Aye, Barshaw for me, must be the reason I spent so much time there playing golf, bowls and tennis. 
Are you pod's big sister, then? [emoji16]

On 8/9/2022 at 2:06 AM, shull said:

FB_IMG_1660007156263.jpg

Ah a proper bus to learn in. Crash gearbox and no power steering. In saying that I passed mine in similar to single decker at left hand side on pic. Once again with no power steering and crash box.

Unlike nowadays. Power steering, automatics and air handbrake instead of big rachet handbrake.

Ah a proper bus to learn in. Crash gearbox and no power steering. In saying that I passed mine in similar to single decker at left hand side on pic. Once again with no power steering and crash box.

Unlike nowadays. Power steering, automatics and air handbrake instead of big rachet handbrake.

Similar to what I passed my test in.

I much preferred the semi automatic gearbox that the "newer" Leopards had than any of the automatics that were around at that time. They're probably a lot better now though, I would guess.

22 hours ago, Slarti said:

Similar to what I passed my test in.

I much preferred the semi automatic gearbox that the "newer" Leopards had than any of the automatics that were around at that time. They're probably a lot better now though, I would guess.

Maybe not as they are overcomplicated with sensors here, there and everywhere

Two good pics of Paisley's TV / Electrical / Record stores.

Cuthbertsons was the best as it had these specil booths upstairs where you could go and listen to the record before buying - 6/8d for a single and I think 17/6d for a LP. What I remember of the booths were the holed panels surrounding the sides and back of the unitand I think a glass door, can't quite remember that detail.

As an added bonus the "Caprice" was just about next door where you could go and get a plate of chips, tomato sauce and a drink post school hours - not food that yer Ma served up later that same day! 😃

Patersons Paisley.jpg

Cuthbertsons paisley.jpg

57 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Good little website with lots of history for those who liked to stand at the end of the platforms at Gilmour Street and watch the choo-choos go by! :whistle

PBDR4 (paisleyhistory.uk)

What a great resource this site is for our areas history…..I am not into train’s but love industrial heritage. Great find 59er 👍🏻

7B0EE0D7-73D0-4A12-B543-893857121343.jpeg

46EF79AE-76B7-4697-BE74-661EB9A597EE.jpeg

57 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Two good pics of Paisley's TV / Electrical / Record stores.

Cuthbertsons was the best as it had these specil booths upstairs where you could go and listen to the record before buying - 6/8d for a single and I think 17/6d for a LP. What I remember of the booths were the holed panels surrounding the sides and back of the unitand I think a glass door, can't quite remember that detail.As an added bonus the "Caprice" was just about next door where you could go and get a plate of chips, tomato sauce and a drink post school hours - not food that yer Ma served up later that same

30 bob more likely..

£1 12/6d. Rings a strong bell (not tubular).

And I don’t recall glass door booths, just an enclosed cupboard for head and shoulders. (Sometimes several heads!)

38 minutes ago, Slarti said:
9 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:
F7AFAB45-C71C-4982-B5E9-BD4BE7478F35.thumb.jpeg.651ee6578aef8c4fe48f22a4ed504eb3.jpegI remember using the station to go down the coast as a boy, happy days 

Was it not just called Canal Station (or Paisley Canal Station) rather than Canal Street Station?

I’ve got to say , I always called it Canal Street .  When travelling home from Glasgow, The choice was Gilmour Street or Canal Street , didn’t even need the station part . 

I’ve got to say , I always called it Canal Street .  When travelling home from Glasgow, The choice was Gilmour Street or Canal Street , didn’t even need the station part . 

I mean officially, not how folk referred to it locally. And nobody says "station", just "Gilmour Street", "Queen Street", "Glasgow Central", etc.