Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

12 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Drink changes perceptions. The point is that the minority who choose to drink on trains do not see or are aware of (nor care) about the impact on fellow passengers.

Another sweeping statement.

Must be great up there on your righteous throne.  

Edited by faraway saint

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Another sweeping statement.

Must be great up there on your righteous throne.  

Selective quoting.

Am I wrong?

Play the ball, not the man.

Edited by Rascal

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:
That is the famous British Restaurant to the right of the Watermill in the early 1960s. There was another one in the town hall. Anyone know where the third was ?
In 1943, 2,160 British restaurants served 600,000 meals a day. Originally called 'Community Feeding Centres', the name British Restaurants was chosen by Winston Churchill. The name was later changed to 'Civic Restaurant'.
The Lighthouse pub is on the left. Hamilton's garage on the right.
Photo - copyright Renfrewshire Council.
No photo description available.

Orchard Street maybe for the other British Restaurant?

I have memory of a central kitchen supplying those places (and eventually cooking school dinners) in George Street on the north side, across the road and just up from the High Flats.

There may have been one, there.

I ate in the one in the picture a few times, in the 50s.

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I have no recollection of the Lighthouse pub. Looks a cracking building.

No doubt @faraway saint won at pool in there! 😂 

Went to this pub a few times when i was 16 and was also in it on it last night before closure in 1971/1972.

What age are you the barman ask, why does it matter was my reply.

No i reckon it doesn't he said  :lol:

Was also ask by a auld guy for for a half, and i thought he was wanting a half penny and handed him one.

No he said, a half of whisky  :shockaroony   

No chance was my reply  :lol:

32 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The Scotrail alcohol ban is farcical when other operators in Scotland such as LNER, Lumo, TPE, Caledonian Sleeper and Avanti have no such restrictions. 

You are right - they should introduce them too. 

17 minutes ago, Rascal said:

You are right - they should introduce them too. 

I travel a fair bit for work, all over the UK........I try when possible to use the train and very often my journey's are after office hours. Why should I not be able to have a beer or a glass of wine during my sometimes 4 or 5 hour journey?

1 minute ago, WeeBud said:

I travel a fair bit for work, all over the UK........I try when possible to use the train and very often my journey's are after office hours. Why should I not be able to have a beer or a glass of wine during my sometimes 4 or 5 hour journey?

Rail companies could introduce drinking carriages and then the rest of us could be left in peace. ( I’m sure you enjoy a quiet and solitary drink).

11 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Rail companies could introduce drinking carriages and then the rest of us could be left in peace. ( I’m sure you enjoy a quiet and solitary drink).

That would be excellent. Nine carriages getting bevvied and one solitary sober carriage for boring auld cnuts.

No doubt you would still have something to complain about.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Went to this pub a few times when i was 16 and was also in it on it last night before closure in 1971/1972.

What age are you the barman ask, why does it matter was my reply.

No i reckon it doesn't he said  :lol:

I had my first underage pint in the Lighthouse. Went out with 3 of my mates. 2 of us went in first so as not to be too obvious that we were just kids. Got served no problems. The other 2 came in and were refused for being underage, and one said to us "Come oan. We'll find somehere else". f**k off and dont be silly son, was our reply.

17 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

And you are the train driver after all. Keep on drinking bud! Well not Bud. I reckon you are more a Stella drinker.

46 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Because you,  all of a sudden, have less respect for other passengers or turn into a character from Father Ted. 🤔

51 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

That would be excellent. Nine carriages getting bevvied and one solitary sober carriage for boring auld cnuts.

No doubt you would still have something to complain about.

Not at all . Great suggestion. Now persuade the rail staff to work on those trains. It won’t be easy. 

Last time I went to Aberdeen there was a group of high spirited young SMFC fans bevying and making a noise. Other passengers were not happy and neither was the attendant who informed me that she was radioing ahead to get railway police onto the train at the next stop. I managed to calm her down by saying that they would soon settle down , which by and large they did, bad PRfor the club and trouble for the young guns avoided.

This might be of interest to some....................

· Photo memories for many here of the Silver Thread and Bungalow Bar in a new, independently-produced book 'Saints & Sinners'. Available now from Record Market, 3 Broomlands St, or order online scotgigsrelived.com
May be a black-and-white image of 2 people and text that says "SAINTS & SINNERS Punk After Glasgow/Paisley Glasgow Chris Brickley"
May be an image of 4 people, people standing and text that says "Punk & After Paisley WAH HEAT TE THE FuNgALOW THNE 14 Spizz with Clare's sisters, Bobby etc c.Clare Grogan. Photo Ginge Altered Images c.@crumbstick 155"

4 hours ago, WeeBud said:

think you wil find the ban is not on every service and for all of the day.  There are problem services that these measures are targeted at and they are mostly in intra-city routes.

40 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

There has been so much architectural vandalism in Paisley over the decades. Anyone know when the lighthouse pub was demolished and why? 

Read this bloody thread!!!  :rolleyes:

Posts below that of the esteemed Eric Arthur Blair, suggest 1967. And 1982.