Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

13 hours ago, Slarti said:

Quite interesting but don't know how much is accurate when they didn't even get the correct year WW2 started. emoji849.png

AND… there were one or two other typos!
Gasp.

Ta Ta used to rake the middens in oor street, but we’d been in afore him.  Slim pickin’…

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 10:22 AM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The shop at the corner of Seedhill Rd and Lacy St which, much later of course, would be owned by Frank McGarvey and then Tony Fitzpatrick.

Pic is from c1960, the bridge was removed later that decade.

Screenshot_20240125_101851_Facebook.jpg

I have no memory of that bridge.

Did it link the Canal St line with the “other side”?

3 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

I have no memory of that bridge.

Did it link the Canal St line with the “other side”?

It crossed the Glasgow Road and headed towards the main Paisley to Glasgow railway track close to the Barbers where the Lion sits above.

The Lyon family ran a coal merchants business around the railway area and I would guess the family owned the house. In the late fifties Tom Lyon ran a taxi company.

The typical railway arches are still in place at the bottom of Greenlaw Drive just before the entrance to Kelburne Cricket Club. The track then continued to join the main track at the side of the foot bridge that takes you to Gallowhill Road. Where the houses are at Arkleston Drive was what was called a shunting area.

At one time there was 8 tracks in use.

When the circus came to town the animals were brought by train to the shunting yard at Wallneuk before they were paraded to the Racecourse in Greenock Road.  

It crossed the Glasgow Road and headed towards the main Paisley to Glasgow railway track close to the Barbers where the Lion sits above.
The Lyon family ran a coal merchants business around the railway area and I would guess the family owned the house. In the late fifties Tom Lyon ran a taxi company.
The typical railway arches are still in place at the bottom of Greenlaw Drive just before the entrance to Kelburne Cricket Club. The track then continued to join the main track at the side of the foot bridge that takes you to Gallowhill Road. Where the houses are at Arkleston Drive was what was called a shunting area.
When the circus came to town the animals were brought by train to the shunting yard at Wallneuk before they were paraded to the Racecourse in Greenock Road.  
I'd always read that it never got connected at the Arkleston junction.

7 hours ago, hamlet said:

Was this line known as the Dummy Railway?