Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

2 Streets and a pub.

Wasn't on yesterday but would have struggled for the answer.Was there not a castle next to Blackhall that our wonderful Cooncil demolished?

There's more than that but its a good starting point HSS :)

Blackhall Manor/Lodge was the only 'castle' in the area and did have more of a castle like appearance in the 70's when it had no roof and was in an extremely run down state. I remember playing in it too and there must be photos of it somewhere in that state. I also remember the PDE reporting it's restoration in the early 80's but have never been inside it since it was renewed.

Think it had something to do with Walter Fitzalan and the Stewarts, used as a hunting lodge, with some affiliation to Mary Queen of Scots at nearby Crookston Castle ???

Edited by FS

PICTURE 47 is Blackhall Manor. Tucked in just off the Barrhead Rd I am sure many Buddies drive by it without noticing it.

Pod's link gives more info. I would add that the Council decided in its infinite wisdom to demolish this ancient building dating form 1165 in 1972. It was only through a local campaign that the Manor was saved. It was purchased by an Alex Strachan and renovated. As Sid says there should be some kind of 'Good Buddie' award for Mr Strachan for saving this ancient building. (And maybe a 'Bad Buddie' award for the Council!).

PICTURE 48 CLUE is second image.

PS I'll no end up in the jail Sid. I know my rights as a photographer and they would have to catch me first!

Is this the martyrs monument at woodside?

Blackhall Manor/Lodge was the only 'castle' in the area and did have more of a castle like appearance in the 70's when it had no roof and was in an extremely run down state. I remember playing in it too and there must be photos of it somewhere in that state. I also remember the PDE reporting it's restoration in the early 80's but have never been inside it since it was renewed.

Think it had something to do with Walter Fitzalan and the Stewarts, used as a hunting lodge, with some affiliation to Mary Queen of Scots at nearby Crookston Castle ???

Thanks FS. Check Pod's link here http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/ilwwcm/publishing.nsf/Content/els-jh-HistoricBuildingsBlackhallManor

PICTURE 48 is the gravestone of Robert Tannahill, Paisley's answer to Rabbie Burns. Although he wrote many songs and poems he doesnt get the credit he deserves for his best known work which was stolen by an Irishman as his own.

For more info on the bard see here .... http://www.roberttannahillfederation.com/1.html . A man all Buddies should be proud of.

PICTURE 49 CLUE attached ....

post-2737-0-64583600-1334138733_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-81953800-1334138754_thumb.jp

Ah at last, another that I didn't have to think about before guessing! The acorn type shapes are all over this building and some are strewn around the grounds too. Shame to see a nice old building like this going to rot, which it probably will. Also a shame as I'm sure many a good Buddie are buried there...

Reminds me of the day I was christened...

Could be wrong. It wasn't yesterday.

ETA: Out of interest, I googled it to see what was written...

Couldnae find it!!!

It's had a name-change! ohmy.png

Also... the date on that plaque is different from what wiki and another source give as the date of it being built - by 10 years. I'll be interested to find out if anyBuddie here can explain that...

Most of my sources Bluto agree with the plaque - just change your sources (or change Wiki!)

Couldnae find it!!!

Also... the date on that plaque is different from what wiki and another source give as the date of it being built - by 10 years. I'll be interested to find out if anyBuddie here can explain that...

Couldnae find it!!!

I actually did a bit of research into this church a couple of years back. I've got Lambies in my family tree on my mother's side and there's a family of that name buried there almost certainly distant relations of mine. When I was doing the research Tannahill's name cropped up. The original name of the church was the West Relief Church. I think initially it was intended for the poorer working classes. Tannahill was buried there because no other church would have him. He had committed the mortal sin of suicide. He was in an unmarked grave for years until the Tannahill Society erected his memorial in the 1850's.

My distant ancestors lost two children on the one day in 1805 and they are buried there. They were 2 and 4 yrs.old. Must have been hellish. We've tried to find what happened to them but can't. Do any of you know if there was an epidemic that year? There was a big cholera epidemic in the 1820's that killed a lot but I can't find any mention of one in 1805.

My distant ancestors lost two children on the one day in 1805 and they are buried there. They were 2 and 4 yrs.old. Must have been hellish. We've tried to find what happened to them but can't. Do any of you know if there was an epidemic that year? There was a big cholera epidemic in the 1820's that killed a lot but I can't find any mention of one in 1805.

Have you checked for death certificates on ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk Rick?

If you register, you can enter the details and perform a search - you don't actually have to pay for any credits until you find what you are looking for (you wont be able to see the cause of death, etc until you pay, but should be able to see enough information to determine if you have the right person)

(Edit: They've changed it a little since I used it last - but if only 1 match is returned then I guess you know its the right one)

Edited by Eddy