Jack Smith

Edinbuddie

Is it not a bit of a waste of time to bringing these young guys through and then them buggering off to Dumbarton because we offer absurdly low wages?

You know for sure that this is the whole story? Maybe he's been given a low offer as a hint that he should look elsewhere.

I'd like to think that regular first team football at Dumbarton should pay more than youth football or bench warming at St Mirren.

Some of the boys are worth keeping, this one evidently is, but only at a very low price. I'll trust the management on this

Maybe. But according to that article the boys were on £85 a week. If he is now being offered £120 a week surely that is a good increase?

A 40% increase is good in the present climate. If our management are convinced he won't make our first team squad then presumably he can earn more playing for a first division team. No doubt we'll hear how he gets on over the next few years.

St Mirren could easily afford to double that budget, and should!

Twenty young guys with something to prove would be worth a lot more than one or two old journeymen pros in the first team.

Smith was deemed good enough to get a game against Kilmarnock, he should have been pushing for the first team this season. 18 isn't really a kid any more in football either. Hope the boy knows what he is doing anyway!

I think you'll find that those with true promise get better offers. For an eighteen year old who has proved nothing it seems to me churlish and short-sighted to turn down the offer to work with some master craftsmen. The one year deal also gave him options, if he made the grade and attracted another club then he could have walked for minimal compensation. Like his dad, too thick to see the big picture

I think you'll find that those with true promise get better offers. For an eighteen year old who has proved nothing it seems to me churlish and short-sighted to turn down the offer to work with some master craftsmen. The one year deal also gave him options, if he made the grade and attracted another club then he could have walked for minimal compensation. Like his dad, too thick to see the big picture

I hope you're right and suspect you are. There are (allegedly) guys who post on this forum who think £100 is too much. Just as well they don't get to make the decisions. We'd be passing Rangers on our way down in no time. I like us being in the top league, whatever the hell.

Guys, I don't think it was the money. I reckon it was the length of the contract.

I think he will find it tougher to replace St Mirren than we will to replace Jack Smith.

I don't think a 1 year contract for an unproven 18 yr old is too unfair. If he thinks he can earn more/longer at another established SPL club good luck to him.

I don't think a 1 year contract for an unproven 18 yr old is too unfair. If he thinks he can earn more/longer at another established SPL club good luck to him.

I'd be surprised at that. Yaqub and Brady only signed 1 year deals. It seems he sees himself in the same bracket as these two, which is fair enough, so he'd probably be happy with the same deal they got. He is still very lightweight compared to those two so perhaps the club still believe in his ability but want to see if he matures physically?

Edited by steve_the_saint

who cares if this wee fanny signs or not...to lightweight and skinny....get tae f**k...enjoy playing amateur or 3rd division.....

You really are a pretty revolting scrap of humanity. Why don't you piss away off to an OF website and give us a rest from your utterly sickening spleen.

• 2 weeks later...