The 80's

The Arsenal game was played because we lost 2-0 to Dumbarton at Love St in the 3rd round of the Scottish.Arsenal were also knocked out the English Cup in the early rounds.We played for a trophy,the Gilougely(sp) Cup if I'm not mistaken.The game was moved from a Sat to the Sun as the Manky Mob from the arse of the bank complained.They'd be drawn at home in the Cup and thought our game would affect their crowd.

The Tampa game was,I'm sure,a Tues or Weds.They had an American style shoot out at half time....with a ball,not guns!!!

Did Macca miss a pen in our 3-0 victory over the Hammers?

Good thread.

I can recall us playing friendlies at Love St against Liverpool, Norwich & Shrewsbury. Also Southampton and West brom at a 4team tournament at castle Greyskull. We played Legia Warsaw when they were a decent team.

Well remembered, but who was the fourth team ?

As i recall ,i think it was a long gone Scottish/british/Ulsterish bunch of bigoted f**kwits !! wink.png

Did Dean Gordon, the left back not score a screamer?

He had a great game that night.

Generally we played well and won more than we lost, against some top class English clubs in friendlies

I remember Aston Villa being dirty bastids with - was it - Warren Aspinall being sent off.

We also played Charlton Athletic just after (I think) reterracing the Love St end. Think we got beat 0-1

Also remember playing a Korean mob on a Friday night (Hyundai sumbdy), though that might have been in the 90s

I'd have lost money betting on the teams who we played in the 1977 Tennent Caledonian Cup. I was convinced it was West Brom and Spurs for some reason, and I was there on both days. Great tournament and West Brom had Laurie Cunningham and Cyrille Regis in their side.

I also remember us playing Chelsea in the early 1960s in the old Paisley Charity Cup and getting gubbed about 5-0 (I think). Also, I'm fairly sure I remember Dick Beattie being in goals in that game, way before he got done for match-fixing.

I also remember us playing Northampron in the same trophy a few years later and a Brazilian trialist came on at half time and played keepy-uppy for about 10 minutes. I don't think he lasted past August before getting the boot though.

I also remember Willie Fulton doing the same thing at half time in the corresponding match the following season, (or maybe the year after that), though I don't remember who we played that year. Willie lasted a lot longer than August and I wish we had someone of his calibre in the squad now.

I've no idea why that Trophy was scrapped, as we always had good opposition and it was well attended.

Don't remember playing Leicester... what was the score

0-0, though I had to check that cos I don't remember it myself! It was many, many years before I was a citizen of Britain's sunniest city however, so it's not a game that would've stood out in the past.

I think it might've been arranged when selling Billy Davies to City?

I also remember us playing Chelsea in the early 1960s in the old Paisley Charity Cup........

.............I've no idea why that Trophy was scrapped, as we always had good opposition and it was well attended.

Costs too much money these days to play decent teams. They all want a huge fee to play friendlies.

Am I right in thinking we nearly signed Alan McInally from Villa, but in a Villa pre-season game, Warren Aspinall got himself sent off for violent conduct and was told he'd never play for Villa again? This left Villa short up front, so the McInally deal was pulled?

I may have imagined this.

Am I right in thinking we nearly signed Alan McInally from Villa, but in a Villa pre-season game, Warren Aspinall got himself sent off for violent conduct and was told he'd never play for Villa again? This left Villa short up front, so the McInally deal was pulled?

I may have imagined this.

You havent imagined it. That was pretty much what happened.