The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It certainly did. It has been yet another contributor to the obscenity that is our housing "market" and it is continuing to cause misery for millions of people across the UK.

An independent Scotland would of course still have the same type of problem but crucially it would be a smaller problem to solve both in terms of the numbers involved and the cost associated with it.

The combination of council house selling and those unscrupulous bastards who own more than one house using other peoples money to do so has caused absolute devastation for countless others.

i'd like to know how you can own a house using other peoples money - really i would,because i dont think it's possible to buy a house using other peoples money, in my understanding you have to pay cash for a house or get a mortgage loan to buy a house,

Housing benefit is not effectively cash in hand.

Tax credits are not benefits anyway so are not included. Phil was talking about benefits only.

It's fair to say he wasn't including child benefit either.

The point is that nobody is getting £300 to £400 per week purely in benefits excluding HB.

That is the crux of the matter.

In short, Phil is either lying or his relative is conning the system.

There are no other permutations.

your right HB is not cash in hand, but wrong on tax credit - i work in DWP and tax credit is classed as a benefit, it's actually one of the main benefits ,if you go on to the gov.uk website and use the benefits calculator put in the correct info ( have dependent kids or qualify for working tax credit) you will find tax credits as an option, as for people getting £300 in a week in benefits excluding HB - people most certainly are, i think that maybe your trying to goad phil into admitting his in law is committing fraud,and thats not very smart

Edited by buddiecat

What i find odd about oaksofts posts is that ive never once disclosed how much money my my mother in law actually gets

yet i'm apparently lying about figures that *he's* made up!

lol.gif:

1eye.gif

that is quite funny, your in law could be getting £72.40 a week and only spending a fraction of that on herself,she might get fed by you and yours or someone else and could save say £50 a week into an account, that would equate to £2600 per annum - more than enough to afford 2 self catering holiday villa lets

Edited by buddiecat

I don't have anyone on ignore.. It's far more entertaining reading all the petty pish along with the reasoned arguments, we all need a good laugh after all.. thumbup2.gif

I switched Phil , straight onto ignore as soon as l realised who he was . He might not have started it yet but Phil will , undoubtedly start a campaign to bring back wee Anxious , you could almost guarantee it. .

The No campaign is in complete disarray. Their arrogance has come back to haunt them. Had they offered the people of Scotland the option of voting for Devo Max it is likely that this would have won. They were so sure of a No vote that they removed this option. I bet they now wish that this was an option. Looks like they're scrambling about at the last minute trying to put something together that resembles a Devo Max option. FFS

george osbourne on telly today stating, "no ifs no buts,there will be no sharing of the pound if yes vote wins" so which currency will we be using then,this is not a rant or anti yes comment, i'd like to know the name of the currency, or is it too early for this to be said as there is no independence at the moment.

george osbourne on telly today stating, "no ifs no buts,there will be no sharing of the pound if yes vote wins" so which currency will we be using then,this is not a rant or anti yes comment, i'd like to know the name of the currency, or is it too early for this to be said as there is no independence at the moment.

The currency thing is a Red Herring , on the 19th September if there is a Yes vote then how do all the Scottish companies that owe English companies money pay them?

Osbourne could not afford for Scottish companies to default on the debt owed to English companies , it would put the English economy back into recession , it`s all just idle threats!

In addition all Government departments have drawn up plans for what happens if it ios a Yes vote , so they have a plan they are just not going to share it.

Can I just ask another question about the currency , how can rUK still use the GBP = Great British Pound if Great Britain does not exist? Maybe they have a problem they have not thought about?

The currency thing is a Red Herring , on the 19th September if there is a Yes vote then how do all the Scottish companies that owe English companies money pay them?

Osbourne could not afford for Scottish companies to default on the debt owed to English companies , it would put the English economy back into recession , it`s all just idle threats!

In addition all Government departments have drawn up plans for what happens if it ios a Yes vote , so they have a plan they are just not going to share it.

Can I just ask another question about the currency , how can rUK still use the GBP = Great British Pound if Great Britain does not exist? Maybe they have a problem they have not thought about?

Great Britain would be England, Wales & Ireland.......................if Scotland wasn't part of it, big deal?

We will be able to use the pound.

1) we may have to have our own currency and we can buy pounds like we buy Euros and Dollars.

2) if we have our own currency then at some point we will have to give our currency a name and a unit value and convert everything we have in our bank to the new currency. Then the international currency exchange will decide if our currency is better value than the pound.

3) as quite a lot of our goods are now made abroad it would be the value of of new currency against the $ the €, and the £ that would be important.

4) if we keep the pound then there would be controls from the Bank of England, just in the same way The European Central Bank tell Greece, France, and the rest of the Euro users how to run behave.

Great Britain would be England, Wales & Ireland.......................if Scotland wasn't part of it, big deal?

Sorry Great Britain does not = England , Wales and NI.

Great Britain also known as Britain is an island in the North Atlantic off the north-west coast of continental Europe. The island has an area of 229,848 km2 (88,745 sq mi), and is the largest island of the British Isles, the largest island in Europe and theninth-largest in the world.[5][6] With a population of about 61 million people in 2011, it is the third-most populous island in the world, afterJava (Indonesia) and Honshū (Japan).[7][8] It is surrounded by over 1,000 smaller islands.[9] The island of Ireland lies to its west.

The island is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, constituting most of its territory: most of England,Scotland and Wales are on the island, with their respective capital cities, London, Edinburgh and Cardiff. Politically, Great Britaincommonly refers to the island together with a number of surrounding islands, which constitute the territory of England, Scotland and Wales.[12]

The Kingdom of Great Britain resulted from the union of the kingdoms of England (comprising modern-day England and Wales) andScotland in 1707. Subsequently, in 1801, the Kingdom of Great Britain united with the neighbouring Kingdom of Ireland forming theUnited Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. When five-sixths of Ireland seceded from the United Kingdom in 1922, the state was renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Is it not an SNP flagship policy and also one of the powers on the agenda for increased devolution?

So what?

in case you havent noticed-it is also a UK government policy to suport renewable development. With support, onshore wind will be the cheapest form of new generation by 2020, with the heavily polluting coal/gas/nuclear mix providing the MORE expensive back up when the wind doesnt blow. once we are up and running with greater pumped-storage hydro, better inclusion of solar and geo thermals in new buildings and tidal (wave won't work) as back up then electricity becomes very cheap and reliable AND mostly generated from renewable sources.

Let England find somewhere else to bury the spent rods-we don't need to be their dumping ground any more.

Great Britain also known as Britain is an island in the North Atlantic off the north-west coast of continental Europe. The island has an area of 229,848 km2 (88,745 sq mi), and is the largest island of the British Isles, the largest island in Europe and theninth-largest in the world.[5][6] With a population of about 61 million people in 2011, it is the third-most populous island in the world, afterJava (Indonesia) and Honshū (Japan).[7][8] It is surrounded by over 1,000 smaller islands.[9] The island of Ireland lies to its west.

The island is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, constituting most of its territory: most of England,Scotland and Wales are on the island, with their respective capital cities, London, Edinburgh and Cardiff. Politically, Great Britaincommonly refers to the island together with a number of surrounding islands, which constitute the territory of England, Scotland and Wales.[12]

The Kingdom of Great Britain resulted from the union of the kingdoms of England (comprising modern-day England and Wales) andScotland in 1707. Subsequently, in 1801, the Kingdom of Great Britain united with the neighbouring Kingdom of Ireland forming theUnited Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. When five-sixths of Ireland seceded from the United Kingdom in 1922, the state was renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

snore.gifsnore.gifsnore.gif

Thanks for that. bye1.gif

See post #7573 for stating the bleedin obvious.

Edited by faraway saint

Alistair Darling today described plans to send letters from Jim McColl urging undecided voters to support independence as "rank hypocrisy", arguing that Mr McColl was not based in Scotland.

I can see some "Rank hypocrisy" actually

Eddie Izzard, Sir Paul McCartney,Sir Patrick Stewart,Sir Bruce Forsyth, Sir Mick Jagger,Stephen Hawking, Jenny Agutter,Sir Ben Ainslie, Kriss Akabusi, Kirstie Allsop, Sir David Attenborough, John Barrowman, Helena Bonham-Carter, Sarah Beeny, Angelic...a Bell, Dickie Bird, Cilla Black, Lord Melvyn Bragg, Jo Brand, Gyles Brandreth, Rob Brydon, Will Carling, Michelle Collins, Steve Coogan, Simon Cowell, Sara Cox, Steve Cram, Richard Curtis, Tom Daley, Richard Dawkins, Dame Judi Dench, Michael Douglas, Gareth Edwards, Bryan Ferry, Ranulph Fiennes, Ben Fogle, Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson, Gloria Hunniford, Griff Rhys Jones, Ross Kemp, Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber, Dame Vera Lynn, Davina McCall, Sir Michael Parkinson, Esther Rantzen, Sir Steve Redgrave, Sir Cliff Richard, Sir Tony Robinson, Ian Rush, Greg Rutherford, June Sarpong, Sandie Shaw, Helen Skelton, Peter Snow, Phil Spencer, Sting, David Suchet, Alan Sugar, Daley Thompson, Alan Titchmarsh, David Walliams

UKIP, Ireland's thousands of Orangemen due in Edinburgh...The Young Fabiens up from England campaigning the last 5 weeks....are they all based in Scotland too?

Who knew they all lived in Scotland? ....I’m surprised we don't fall over celebs on our way to the shops

it's a real issue, hardly a red herring, scottish companies/people who owe money to others in another country would have to pay using currency exchange prices at the exchange rate which would be in use at the time,there would be 2 years to sort that out anyway,there is no way that any currency taken up will allow people to default on debt owed-this would obviously be debt incurred when in a single currency and would legally be a recoverable debt,and if government departments have a plan as you say, why are they not declaring it and how do you know about it if they are not sharing it, and finally great britain would still be great britain ,and the united kingdom would still be the united kingdom, just would not have scotland as a part of it. sorry to have to disprove all of your points

exactly, it would still be great britain, just with two countries of the uk on it and one outwith the uk