Tactics................

Sadly, Danny makes a lot of decisions that most fans in the ground would not have made and they seem to go against us too often.

F'rinstance:

Bringing on Van Zanten for Cheesy at the start of the second half against Hearts (we lost a goal within 2 minutes)

Replacing Gowser with Harkins in the same game. Most people around me felt Gowser was having a good game and was working hard. The change seems all the more strange now that we know DL doesn't think Harkins works hard enough.

Taking Thommo off with 5 minutes to go against Killie to be replaced by - that's right, Harkins who must have known by then he was heading for the door.

These are just recent examples. There have been many over the years.

In the defence of DL, and all managers in fact, they only get one chance at it. We can sit on the sidelines and talk for hours about what we would have done better, but there are no consequences to those speculations.

Step one. Don't play one up front. At the level of football we play it doesn't make sense. Especially so as we have a35 year old striker, no genuine wide players (Teale excepted) and don't have a prolific goalscorer in midfield.

Step two. Don't fcuk around playing McGowan or McGinn anywhere but their best positions.

Step three. Don't over complicate substitutions which completely messes up a team that were comfortably on top.

Over to someone else for steps four - infinity.

................the cat & mouse game by which managers are ultimately judged.

Does Danny Lennon get it right often enough?

No need for this thread at all. It's been discussed many times and it just gives the posters with a personal agenda against Lennon a place to compare who has the most twisted stats on a personal file ready to be copy and pasted at any time.

Play to your best 11`s strengths and don't tinker...we don't have enough players for that.

This applies to whoever is the manager.

Spot on about 'whoever is the manager'. Danny, Gus, Hendrie, Clunie, anyone I've seen take charge since Fergie was my first St Mirren manager - I want every St Mirren manager to be the next Alex Ferguson and to succeed for themselves and the team. I have nothing personally against Danny Lennon, and no axe to grind. I want him to oversee a winning team tomorrow, and next week, and the week after.

Discussing what we perceive to be his shortcomings and failings does not automatically mean you have an anti-Lennon agenda or want him to fail. Far from it.

Edited by pozbaird

No need for this thread at all. It's been discussed many times and it just gives the posters with a personal agenda against Lennon a place to compare who has the most twisted stats on a personal file ready to be copy and pasted at any time.

I'm not so sure it gets discussed calmly that often - it tends to be one camp gloating over the latest result. As to whether there's anything new to say that's true, but if we were going to vet every post for originality it'd be a pretty quiet forum.

Sadly, Danny makes a lot of decisions that most fans in the ground would not have made and they seem to go against us too often.

F'rinstance:

Bringing on Van Zanten for Cheesy at the start of the second half against Hearts (we lost a goal within 2 minutes)

Replacing Gowser with Harkins in the same game. Most people around me felt Gowser was having a good game and was working hard. The change seems all the more strange now that we know DL doesn't think Harkins works hard enough.

Taking Thommo off with 5 minutes to go against Killie to be replaced by - that's right, Harkins who must have known by then he was heading for the door.

In the defence of DL, and all managers in fact, they only get one chance at it. We can sit on the sidelines and talk for hours about what we would have done better, but there are no consequences to those speculations.

why is it sad that his choices are different from what "some" fans want. Most fans are clueless about tactics until after the game.

with the squad that he has to work with, I feel he does a very god job on tactics. His big strength is that he creates different strategies for big games, where most managers play every game to their perceived strengths using more or less the same tactics in every game

why is it sad that his choices are different from what "some" fans want. Most fans are clueless about tactics until after the game.

with the squad that he has to work with, I feel he does a very god job on tactics. His big strength is that he creates different strategies for big games, where most managers play every game to their perceived strengths using more or less the same tactics in every game

Yep.

Thats why almost all of the crowd watched in disbelief when he brought Vanzy on for cheesy v hearts.... or why no-one who was at the game could fathom why young Reilly (inept forward) came on for Mcginn (hardworking midfielder) & Harkins (lazy c**t midfielder) came on for Thommo ( only real forward we have ) at the Killie game.

Yep.

Thats why almost all of the crowd watched in disbelief when he brought Vanzy on for cheesy v hearts.... or why no-one who was at the game could fathom why young Reilly (inept forward) came on for Mcginn (hardworking midfielder) & Harkins (lazy c**t midfielder) came on for Thommo ( only real forward we have ) at the Killie game.

... or what in the name of fcuk he was doing playing Newton in front of DVZ down our right side against Partick at home. This one certainly isn't fans being wise after the event. All early season, Thistle's marauding full backs were bombing forward playing diagonal balls forward. Prior to us facing Thistle, our own BuddieinEK had been to see Partick a couple of times, actually spotting Danny sitting behind him at one game. BuddieinEKs posts will still be around sonewhere, in which he highlighted where Partick's threat against us would come. In the game against them, Newton & DVZ had the pish ripped out of them as Thistle's left back had the freedom of Paisley bestowed upon him due to Danny's selection. Newton and DVZ were playing about 5 yards apart from each other. It was crying out for us to have a player playing further forward on the right, to give that Thistle full back something to think about, instead of him having 50 yards of empty space to waltz forward into.

I'm sure the vast majority of the time, the vast, vast majority of the time in fact, Danny knows better than any of us diddy fans, but I swear, he sometimes can't see the bleedin' obvious when 99% of the stadium can see he's making a rip roaring cnut of it, be that the line up, tactics or substitutions.

I'll jump in and answer this one, it's contained in the opening sentence of BAWZ's post - you might disagree with him but it's obvious why he finds it sad.

Oh and the squad he has to work with all signed their current contracts during Lennon's tenure.

F'rinstance:

Now if you want to argue that these were successful substitutions then go ahead, if you want to spoil the thread then you'll have to try harder.

Edited by Bud the Baker