Has Mair Been Released?

If this does go through, how many mutual terminations will that be under Danny's stewardship?

It's a very expensive way to run a football club if you keep terminating contracts you've given to players before they expire.

surely each mutual termination agreed suits both parties therefore suits the club as well, if not they wouldn't agree to it.

I make it - Peter Bradley, Paul McQuade, Tom Brighton, Dougie Imrie, Jamie McKernon, Lewis Guy, Grant Adam, Aaron Mooy, Jon Robertson, Kealan Dillon & now Mair, although there's probably more.

What's more worrying is the number of players that he signs, have no effect and are released upon expiry of their contracts ie. Sander Puri, Ilias Haddad, Graeme Smith, Nick Hegarty, Jamie McCluskey and so on. 

Thats 15+ signings off the top of my head since 2010, poor show.

Tom Brighton's contract expired.

You have noticed that other clubs sign and release players yeah? It's not just St Mirren.

Irrespective of whether the story is true or not I'm baffled by the whole situation with Mair. Granted he has his faults, but he is a far superior football player to Marc McAusland who is out of his depth at this level, and despite this is almost an ever present.

In any case we badly need a decent centre half and have done for about the past 4 seasons.

I make it - Peter Bradley, Paul McQuade, Tom Brighton, Dougie Imrie, Jamie McKernon, Lewis Guy, Grant Adam, Aaron Mooy, Jon Robertson, Kealan Dillon & now Mair, although there's probably more.

What's more worrying is the number of players that he signs, have no effect and are released upon expiry of their contracts ie. Sander Puri, Ilias Haddad, Graeme Smith, Nick Hegarty, Jamie McCluskey and so on.

Some of them moved to other teams for no transfer fee, different to being released.

And plenty other teams have similar success rates, it's part and parcel of being a small club with a low wage budget in a pretty average league!

Irrespective of whether the story is true or not I'm baffled by the whole situation with Mair. Granted he has his faults, but he is a far superior football player to Marc McAusland who is out of his depth at this level, and despite this is almost an ever present.

In any case we badly need a decent centre half and have done for about the past 4 seasons.

I think everyone agrees that there will come a time when Lee Mair or any football player will have to move on from any club. What is up for debate is whether that time is now for Mair at St Mirren. Unfortunately for Mair in the last 12 months the contract which rewarded him well financially (by our standards) and meant that if he played regularly in the first team then he automatically got an extension on the same terms has landed him with hassle as his contract nears its end. If St Mirren take the view that they don't want to extend his contract into next season or continue to have him as one of the best paid paid players at the club then the only way to do this is to drop him from the first team so he never hits his quota of games entitling him to a new contract.

He is 33 at the minute and probably a similarish standard to McGregor and McAusland but I think it is OK for St Mirren as a club to have decided that as he turns 34 they no longer see him as a first pick defender or want to continue to have him as one of the high earners at the club when he isn't seen as an automatic pick for the starting XI. And if that is the decision the club have reached then they are Mair are stuck in the position we have now - if they don't want to have Mair on his current terms beyond this summer then they need to drop him for most of this season so he doesn't get enough games for his contract extension clause to kick in for another season.

I think everyone agrees that there will come a time when Lee Mair or any football player will have to move on from any club. What is up for debate is whether that time is now for Mair at St Mirren. Unfortunately for Mair in the last 12 months the contract which rewarded him well financially (by our standards) and meant that if he played regularly in the first team then he automatically got an extension on the same terms has landed him with hassle as his contract nears its end. If St Mirren take the view that they don't want to extend his contract into next season or continue to have him as one of the best paid paid players at the club then the only way to do this is to drop him from the first team so he never hits his quota of games entitling him to a new contract.

He is 33 at the minute and probably a similarish standard to McGregor and McAusland but I think it is OK for St Mirren as a club to have decided that as he turns 34 they no longer see him as a first pick defender or want to continue to have him as one of the high earners at the club when he isn't seen as an automatic pick for the starting XI. And if that is the decision the club have reached then they are Mair are stuck in the position we have now - if they don't want to have Mair on his current terms beyond this summer then they need to drop him for most of this season so he doesn't get enough games for his contract extension clause to kick in for another season.

Do we know if thats the case this season? If that is the case then it's not Danny that deserves criticism but whoever agreed to this type of contract IMO

Didi Vanzy not have a similar type of deal, I would hope they learn their lesson from this type of deal and do not give players these type of deals moving forward.

Do we know if thats the case this season? If that is the case then it's not Danny that deserves criticism but whoever agreed to this type of contract IMO

Didi Vanzy not have a similar type of deal, I would hope they learn their lesson from this type of deal and do not give players these type of deals moving forward.

Did Mo Camara not also have a deal of this type...?

I would have thought that you should pick your best team from the players available. If we seriously are not picking players, who are picking up substantial wages, because of the terms of their contracts, then that is a sad state of affairs. The squad is light enough as it is without any further constraints.

Tbh I dont thnk Mair, McGregor & McAusland are of a similar standard.

I would have thought that you should pick your best team from the players available. If we seriously are not picking players, who are picking up substantial wages, because of the terms of their contracts, then that is a sad state of affairs. The squad is light enough as it is without any further constraints.

Certainly McAusland isn't of a similar standard to Mair.

It really cheats the fans IMO if a player who has a squad place and a number is being held out of the side because of a clause in his contract.

At some point would you accept that due to age Mair will become too old for the first team? If he keeps being picked for the next few seasons then his contract automatically extends beyond his 'sell by date'.

Secondly, since coming to St Mirren DL hasn't signed many defenders and our defence has been one of our weak spots. He has a limited budget to work with. If we want DL to bring in different defenders then he probably has to let some of our current defenders go. Mair, Barron and DVZ could all be among the defenders who will leave in the next 6 months so that a few new defenders can be brought in to freshen things up and hopefully strengthen our defence.

At some point would you accept that due to age Mair will become too old for the first team? If he keeps being picked for the next few seasons then his contract automatically extends beyond his 'sell by date'.

Secondly, since coming to St Mirren DL hasn't signed many defenders and our defence has been one of our weak spots. He has a limited budget to work with. If we want DL to bring in different defenders then he probably has to let some of our current defenders go. Mair, Barron and DVZ could all be among the defenders who will leave in the next 6 months so that a few new defenders can be brought in to freshen things up and hopefully strengthen our defence.

Yes I would accept that. I wouldn't be opposed to letting the players you mention go. But only on the proviso that replacements are brought in. I think we have failed to bring in the right players previously and we have had a problem in central defence for some time, which hasn't been addressed.

I don't think Lee Mair is the answer to all or defensive problems but I do think he is a much better footballer than Marc McAusland. It baffles me as to why McAusland is a regular choice when I think he is out of his depth at this level

Do u even know how that compares to other clubs though? Tom brighton, lol I he was a gus signing and im pretty sure he was gone before lennon got the saints job