St Mirren V Partick Thistle 25/1/2014

faraway saint

Agree with most of the reviews re. our display collectively and individually, the exception being Darren Mc Gregor. I lost count the number of times he gave away possession, I accept he wasn't our worst but he has performed much better than today. Our retention of the ball was pathetic, the worst I've seen this season. I will give Wylde the benefit of the doubt as it was his first match, but the number of times he ran down blind alleys was bad.

Mair schooled that Thistle team well enough to stifle us, not that it took too much.

We are seriously lacking in a collective confidence and a workable plan and attitude.

That was let's face it , a very odd display today

My pipe dream of three wins on the spin resoundingly back at square one again.

We are a tired looking team, with a worrying looking lack of ambition

Not the best game that's for sure. Certainly had all the chances and second half Kello made only 1 save. Scrappy but definitely 2 point dropped. Good performances from Kello, the defence, Goodwin and McGinn. Thought McGowan was excellent and a wee bit unlucky in front of goal wee man worked his socks off. Wylde, not quite sure what to think. No tracking backing and his delivery was a bit hit and miss wasted possession too many times. But clearly has pace. Could be our Ivan Sproulewhistling.gif . Certainly not the worst ever St Mirren Debut but not enough to warrant a start ahead of Newton.mid week. .

Miserable day and game was poor quality but fairly exciting and second half was pretty end to end. If just one of our chances had gone in we'd all be praising Danny for grinding out a result.

ETA Mair was ok but hardly strolled it. FFS we could have scored 3 and it would have been fair

Edited by insaintee

Not the best game that's for sure. Certainly had all the chances and second half Kello made only 1 save. Scrappy but definitely 2 point dropped. Good performances from Kello, the defence, Goodwin and McGinn. Thought McGowan was excellent and a wee bit unlucky in front of goal wee man worked his socks off. Wylde, not quite sure what to think. No tracking backing and his delivery was a bit hit and miss wasted possession too many times. But clearly has pace. Could be our Ivan Sproulewhistling.gif . Certainly not the worst ever St Mirren Debut but not enough to warrant a start ahead of Newton.mid week. .

Miserable day and game was poor quality but fairly exciting and second half was pretty end to end. If just one of our chances had gone in we'd all be praising Danny for grinding out a result.

ETA Mair was ok but hardly strolled it. FFS we could have scored 3 and it would have been fair

McGowan excellent ffs, your easily pleased.

A draw was a fair result in the end.

Campbell was unlucky in the first half with a shot that Gallacher saved, Thompson somehow messed up in front of goal (I think the ball bounced off his standing foot or something) & why McGowan decided to pass to Newton, who was running at full pace, rather than shoot late on is beyond me.

McGregor was my MOTM due to the numerous blocks and tackles he put in, but McGinn (his strength and awareness is fantastic - he's often streets ahead of everyone else on the pitch) & Goodwin were also very good. I thought Wylde did reasonably well, he had a good first half but tired in the second.

I thought it looked like Campbell had been told to play further inside in the second half for some reason. He should've stuck to running at the full-back to put in crosses (like he did with that good run in the first half) more often.

A few of the players looked like they were blowing out of their arses with 15/20 minutes left, but we had no-one to choose from on the bench. Hopefully we can get a few in next week.

We need to bare in mind that we just drew at home to Partick Thistle.

Not good enough, regardless of circumstance. We should always be beating smaller clubs like Thistle at home.

Let's hope Danny and his side make up for this failure at Tynecastle on Wedensday.

Not good enough, regardless of circumstance. We should always be beating smaller clubs like Thistle at home.

Let's hope Danny and his side make up for this failure at Tynecastle on Wedensday.

Have to agree.

I said to someone at the game today that Gowser wasn't getting the room to play as Thistle had 3 players just marking him when he had the ball. McGinn had a good game but with Gowser being stifled he couldn't do much till the ball broke to him, or was passed to him

Correct. Though according to another poster on another thread, McGowan is the most overrated player we have ever had!

Agreed. Sadly we don't have a Parkin-esque player this season to lessen the weight on the gods shoulders.

He's 35 and he's playing 90 minutes every game.

Let's hope Bahoken gets fit and gets good, let's hope he's good enough to take some of the pressure off,

Yeah hope Bahoken is back to fitness asap.

I'd start Thompson on Wednesday night, hopefully we are in a position to sub him in the second half. Let Bahoken lead the line at Parkhead. And hopefully Thommo is back to his best for the cup game after 10 days rest.

Another point on the board but two points dropped today for sure. We had enough chances to win the game - two sitters and one off the post plus a couple of half chances.

Thought McGregor, Goodwin, McGinn and Kelly did well.

Wylde did ok going forward but on first viewing needs to adopt the same work ethic as McGinn. He doesn't appear to be overly keen on tracking back.

Campbell needs to be further forward and when Newton came on he seemed to be playing everywhere except where I thought he should be i.e. wide right to counter Taylor-Sinclair.

My son commented that if Goodwin had made the challenge on Higginbotham rather than Naismith then he would have been sent off and it would have been all over the media.

After Conor came on there wasn't much on offer on the bench - couple of signings required this week.

Keeping the faith - three points against Hertz next week. Won' t be there though, heading north on Monday.

If you correctly spelled the operative word in your post then I'd be prepared to consider your opinion as relevant

But I will offer the following correction to your post, if OUR Manager and OUR players beat Hearts then all of us who support them can be proud of a pretty effin great January in the SPL

Really nice to be able to see who's side you are on, despite you not being able to spell the days of the week properly

Smart man!

A reasonable match to watch today.

I'm happy with a point.

All our players were decent except McGinn, McGregor, Goodwin and McGowan, who were excellent.

Wylde was quiet first half and played well in the second half.

We don't have a divine right to beat anyone.

Yes we should be looking to win this type of game but you can't say we should always beat teams like Thistle, that is plainly nonsense.

Correct. Though according to another poster on another thread, McGowan is the most overrated player we have ever had!

did he have no space when he was played through on goal yet he decided to hold the ball up, then play a piss poor pass to newton.

His passing was piss poor today. If any player had played the passes he did today to him he would of had his wee tantrums. McGowan can only play 1 position and that is just behind thommo. He is very good at holding the ball up and turning defenders other than that he is very average. IMO

Either thommo or him should of came off and Campbell pushed forward. Both were very poor today.

did he have no space when he was played through on goal yet he decided to hold the ball up, then play a piss poor pass to newton.

His passing was piss poor today. If any player had played the passes he did today to him he would of had his wee tantrums. McGowan can only play 1 position and that is just behind thommo. He is very good at holding the ball up and turning defenders other than that he is very average. IMO

Either thommo or him should of came off and Campbell pushed forward. Both were very poor today.

Clueless. IMO.

It was good to hear the Saints Fans applauding the Jags player who was getting carried off on the stretcher.

Well done all !

BTW, whatever happened to the chant .......

" DIG A HOLE AND BURY HIM " ?

Clueless. IMO.

his goals contribution is abysmal for playing as a forward. He's constantly spitting the dummy having a moan at team mates for a poor pass yet when he does it all is fine not to mention his shooting ability....

He's playing at his level.

Some people make out he would be a huge loss to us and Harkins was the reason to our awful start yet he's added same amount of goals in a lot less games and going down South proving he's a gd player

Losing mcginn would be by far much more of a loss to us than gowser going

If you correctly spelled the operative word in your post then I'd be prepared to consider your opinion as relevant

But I will offer the following correction to your post, if OUR Manager and OUR players beat Hearts then all of us who support them can be proud of a pretty effin great January in the SPL

Really nice to be able to see who's side you are on, despite you not being able to spell the days of the week properly

Smart man!

It's the SPFL ya dobber. :P

Best double check your post when trying to be a smart arse. :)

Smart man!

Be proud this month? We have been utter pish. Love how people like you are more worried about spelling than the display on the park. Beggars belief.

Edited by ged62

Mair schooled that Thistle team well enough to stifle us, not that it took too much.

We are seriously lacking in a collective confidence and a workable plan and attitude.

That was let's face it , a very odd display today

My pipe dream of three wins on the spin resoundingly back at square one again.

We are a tired looking team, with a worrying looking lack of ambition

Mair did nothng of the kind. Thompson, McGinn and McGowan went through their defences like a hot knife through butter whenthey decided to actually try. Our own ineptness let us down yesterday. Givng credit to Mair is ridiculous.