How Many Points?

I think we could still be overtaken on 38 points by all the teams but it would have to be on goal difference. If we draw the next two games and get 37 points then again we could only finish in 11th on goal difference.

Feel free to prove me wrong, my head's spinning a wee bit from trying to work out the different combinations.

Head was spinning too but think there is a bizarre scenario of results that could see that. Kilmarnock would need to win two and each other team would require at least a win and a draw in the last two games? Edited by Thorizaar

Thistle, County and Hibs have all to play each other. If we beat County then it comes down to a combination of one win, one loss and one draw for the three of them. Leaving 4 teams on 38 points. Killie win 2 and get 39. Hearts beat us and lose their other games.

If we draw against County and Killie then they could finish on 37 points with us. Again this involves other draws, with again 4 teams finishing on the same points.. Without the draw, a team would finish on 36 points.

Edited by SelkirkSaint

Head was spinning too but think there is a bizarre scenario of results that could see that. Kilmarnock would need to win two and each other team would require at least a win and a draw in the last two games?

It is a bit of a head spin but I think I've cracked it. We will be safe next weekend if we win, Hearts beat Killie and Thistle win at Hibs.

Killie would need to beat us and Hibs in their last 2 games to catch us which would mean Hibs couldn't also catch us.

Even if Thistle don't beat Hibs it would take an almost exact set of results to see us finish 11th on goal difference if we beat County and Hearts beat Killie so we would be 99.9% safe.

For the anoraks like myself those results would need to be;

Killie beat us and Hibs

Thistle beat Hearts

Hearts beat us

Hibs take exactly 4 points from their matches v Thistle and County

County take exactly 4 points from their matches v Hibs and Thistle

Thistle take exactly 1 point from their matches v Hibs and County

My head is still spinning so if anyone spots a mistake please point it out.

It is a bit of a head spin but I think I've cracked it. We will be safe next weekend if we win, Hearts beat Killie and Thistle win at Hibs.

Killie would need to beat us and Hibs in their last 2 games to catch us which would mean Hibs couldn't also catch us.

Even if Thistle don't beat Hibs it would take an almost exact set of results to see us finish 11th on goal difference if we beat County and Hearts beat Killie so we would be 99.9% safe.

Killie beat us and Hibs

Thistle beat Hearts

Hearts beat us

I applaud your effort.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Re the above, I now think we'd be safe with a victory for us, Hearts and anything but a draw at Easter Road.

If Hibs beat Thistle the Jags would need to beat Hearts and draw with County to get to 38 points. That would mean that Hibs and County couldn't both get to 38 points as County would need a win over Hibs and Hibs would need a draw.

I'm going to stop thinking about this now.

Edited by bingboy

Killie beat us and Hibs

Thistle beat Hearts

Hearts beat us

The only mistake I noticed , was the whole thing :P

We will not be finishing 11th :).

Thistle, County and Hibs have all to play each other. If we beat County then it comes down to a combination of one win, one loss and one draw for the three of them. Leaving 4 teams on 38 points. Killie win 2 and get 39. Hearts beat us and lose their other games.

As above. We win and Killie lose and we can only be overtaken on 38 points on goal difference if the above happens. Strangely, get 38 points via 3 draws and we're safe. The combinations that both County and Killie would need to catch up after drawing with us would mean another team dropping points.

( I think.)

Something very very very important in all of this. More important than any permutations of results, or 'ifs', 'ands', and 'buts'.

We just need to make sure we beat Ross County on Saturday. That's all we can control, all that we can influence.

Put every effort into winning this game, and let everything else take care of itself.

A defeat, or even a draw, and suddenly we're back in the shit. So let's not fret too much about how many points are required just yet. Let's just win our next game. That's all that really matters.

If we win and Killie lose at Tynecastle, Killie can only catch us by winning their last two games.

With that in mind, looking at Hibs v Thistle:

If Thistle win, both Hibs and Killie can't catch us. Killie have no choice but to win out, and if they did, Hibs could only get 37 points.

If Hibs win, they would still need a point from their game with Ross County to catch us on goal difference (assuming that Hibs are going to lose to Killie, which they need to for Killie to catch us). If Hibs take any more than a point from Dingwall, it means that Ross County can't catch us. If Ross County get the point from Hibs, it means they'll then have to beat Thistle, which means that Thistle couldn't catch us.

If Hibs v Thistle is a draw (assuming Hibs lose to Killie), Hibs could only go above us on goal difference by beating Ross County, which means that Ross County couldn't catch us.

Simple

Ifs, but and maybes.

Only thing that matters is that we keep getting points.

Win our last three games and we will finish 7th which would be a big boost to our budget for next season.

Again ifs????????????????

If we have new owners ...

If we have a new manager...

If we avoid relegation????