So Farewell Then Cardonald Components

shull

The best Motor Car accessory Shop, based on the Paisley Road West in Cardonald has closed down for good.

Dinnae know the reasons but very sad news.

Was a family run business, i think for at least 30 years.

Purchased umpteen bulbs and gallons of oil from there over the decades.

Hope they've just retired and are enjoying their lifes.

The best Motor Car accessory Shop, based on the Paisley Road West in Cardonald has closed down for good.

Well my good Shull, if their prices were good enough to attract your custom it is no surprise they have closed down.

I'd imagine it must have been the uncertainty caused by the referendum on independence that pulled the shutters down. It must be hard for businesses to imagine how they could survive without the UK exchequer ripping them off guiding them in the right direction.

I think the days of the independent car accessories/parts supplier are coming to an end , a disappearing emporium just like pubs and independent retailers in general . .

People nowadays are less likely it would seem to do DIY work on their cars . It seems that , only enthusiast's tend to wash their cars now which probably accounts for the proliferation of car wash emporiums that have sprung up. Also , many car parts can now be bought from the dealer only with manufacturers of pattern components seeming less likely to make them. .

I suspect the boy-racer brigade by their components on line . .

I think the days of the independent car accessories/parts supplier are coming to an end , a disappearing emporium just like pubs and independent retailers in general . .

People nowadays are less likely it would seem to do DIY work on their cars . It seems that , only enthusiast's tend to wash their cars now which probably accounts for the proliferation of car wash emporiums that have sprung up. Also , many car parts can now be bought from the dealer only with manufacturers of pattern components seeming less likely to make them. .

Fair comment.

The days when it was possible to do much under the bonnet are dwindling, mainly due to complexity of the machinery, the need for computer controlled parts and how skilfully but bafflingly tightly things are crammed in.

It's wonderful engineering but not for the faint-hearted to tamper with on an odd Saturday morning, without the right/power tools, lifting machinery and a pit.

The aftermarket parts trade is bigger than ever & growing .

Car manufacturers do not make parts, they buy them from the same companies that make many of the parts you`d find in the boxes on the shelf of Carparts shops.

The biggest issues facing the Cardonald components of this world are the fact that manufacturers warranties are getting longer, cars are becoming increasingly complex with many parts having to be electronically "mated" to cars & people are less inclined to fix anything themselves these days .

The car stores that are thriving are the ones who court the boy racer go faster brigade & sell high end valet products.

The aftermarket parts trade is bigger than ever & growing .

Car manufacturers do not make parts, they buy them from the same companies that make many of the parts you`d find in the boxes on the shelf of Carparts shops.

The biggest issues facing the Cardonald components of this world are the fact that manufacturers warranties are getting longer, cars are becoming increasingly complex with many parts having to be electronically "mated" to cars & people are less inclined to fix anything themselves these days .

The car stores that are thriving are the ones who court the boy racer go faster brigade & sell high end valet products.

Maybe on some makes . Personally , I drive what would be deemed "a British car" , despite this I have found that there are just no pattern (aftermarket) parts available for some of the parts. I have also found that sometimes the OEM parts are cheaper from the dealer than the pattern parts , if you use a Trade Club card. Then there are companies like Dingbro that only sell to the trade (f**k'm) and there is also the new big company(on Murray St) that sells many pattern parts which aren't necessarily as good a quality as say , the OEM , but are only slightly cheaper and it might take the operator in said emporium a couple of attempts to get the right part for your model . .

It's a tightrope , Spud. It's a f**ken tightrope. .

I aware of the canbus system and that even a bulb can throw it , but I can think of gie few parts that would need to be "electronically matched". .

Maybe on some makes . Personally , I drive what would be deemed "a British car" , despite this I have found that there are just no pattern (aftermarket) parts available for some of the parts. I have also found that sometimes the OEM parts are cheaper from the dealer than the pattern parts , if you use a Trade Club card. Then there are companies like Dingbro that only sell to the trade (f**k'm) and there is also the new big company(on Murray St) that sells many pattern parts which aren't necessarily as good a quality as say , the OEM , but are only slightly cheaper and it might take the operator in said emporium a couple of attempts to get the right part for your model . .

I aware of the canbus system and that even a bulb can throw it , but I can think of gie few parts that would need to be "electronically matched". .

Fuel pumps, diesel additive systems, injectors,absolutely anything to do with the Body control systems, electronic handbrakes,keys & transponders some mileage & service indicators,etc etc.

Certain german manufacturers are now using "pass-thru" technology where to unlock these codes you HAVE TO return your car to the main dealer , where they plug your car in & the ecu "talks" to Munich to get a diagnosis!

30 years selling parts in the motor trade Bud , seven of them selling Diagnostic products, its a minefield now & its only going to get worse !!

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Fuel pumps, diesel additive systems, injectors,absolutely anything to do with the Body control systems, electronic handbrakes,keys & transponders some mileage & service indicators,etc etc.

Certain german manufacturers are now using "pass-thru" technology where to unlock these codes you HAVE TO return your car to the main dealer , where they plug your car in & the ecu "talks" to Munich to get a diagnosis!

30 years selling parts in the motor trade Bud , seven of them selling Diagnostic products, its a minefield now & its only going to get worse !!

Thank you Jackie Stewart. thumbup2.gif

Those little Dingbro vans are the curse of the highway-bunch of dangerous swines

Some manufacturers may be , you may need something like tech2 to make alterations . I know what diesel additives are but diesel additive systems. .?