John Mcginn Club Statement

Surely McGinn has bigger ambitions than that mob.

I suppose it would be a foot in the door, and he would have his big bro around to help him settle in.

I'll be gutted if he goes, as we willhave a long wait to find anyone who would be close to him in terms of ability ans potential.

We need to be realistic, however. The BoD will punt him if they reckon the fee is right. I still wonder how many of us would match that estimate of his worth, though. I genuinely believe a valuation close to 7 figures is entirely reasonable, while I have a hunch that the club would accept £350K. Its a lot of money for a club the size of Saints, I suppose, but would be a sore one to take for us punters who get such a buzz from watching a gifted young player who has come through our ranks from being a wee boy.

Personally, I reckon they'd be mugs to accept less than half a million with substantial sell-on clauses, and Taylor thrown in for good measure.

500K, plus lucrative add-ons and loaned back to us for a season.

Throw in Lyle Taylor too and United to pay half of his wages for the season.

Sounds reasonable to me.whistling.gif

FFS, I hadn't seen this before composing my post, honest!

Player of the year , and worth at least 5 x what was reported u offered us , great skills hard in the tackle and scores a few goals from midfield , no offence but I thought he was destined for better than the third tier of English football

To be fair after years of mismanagement and decline we finally seem to be going in the right direction.

We have a good manager apparently we have some investment,the cup run has given us confidence as well has some cash.

We might not be a bad place for him.

Clough will give him a chance like he did with Scougall and if he takes it he'll stay in the team.If he went to a team in a higher league he might not get that chance straight away which might set him back.

Hopefully we are going in the right direction now but football does have a habit of kicking you in the sensitive area.

Being a Blade your glass is always half empty.

I suppose it would be a foot in the door, and he would have his big bro around to help him settle in.

I'll be gutted if he goes, as we willhave a long wait to find anyone who would be close to him in terms of ability ans potential.

We need to be realistic, however. The BoD will punt him if they reckon the fee is right. I still wonder how many of us would match that estimate of his worth, though. I genuinely believe a valuation close to 7 figures is entirely reasonable, while I have a hunch that the club would accept £350K. Its a lot of money for a club the size of Saints, I suppose, but would be a sore one to take for us punters who get such a buzz from watching a gifted young player who has come through our ranks from being a wee boy.

Personally, I reckon they'd be mugs to accept less than half a million with substantial sell-on clauses, and Taylor thrown in for good measure.

Taylor could be part of the any deal.

I don't think we'll see him in a Blades shirt again.

Surely McGinn has bigger ambitions than that mob.

I think it would be a great move for John.

United are a huge club, regular crowds of almost 20000, A manager who is prepared to give youth an opportunity & his Big Bro there to help him settle .

Dont want him to go just now, i think another year or two up here will help him develop but if he does move south i`d rather he plays in Div 1 than be a sub in the championship.

Hi Blade fan here.

Someone on one of our message boards is saying this morning that we have signed John Mcginn, he's seem pretty reliable(he told us about JCR before he signed).

Have any of you heard anything ?

Whats he like as a player ?

We seem to like signing scottish players.

Just signed Mcnulty from livingston, we also signed Scougal earlier this year what a player he is.

But we also signed Lyle Taylor who has not been a success well not for us anyway.

he is a skillfull midfielder who can score a few a season, if you get someone to tell him to shoot on sight without thinking of passing sideways first - then you will get more out of him than we have, we don't trust players to shoot (hopefully our new management will sort that though) i'd say if you mix a wee bit of dalglish (using his arse to turn players inside out) and archie gemmell (great vision and determination) then you are close to what john offers

Saudi Arabian Prince Abdullah bin Mossad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, one of the worlds richest men and co-owner of Sheffield United,

5 million for McGinn

Sorry to disappoint you but he only owns a toilet roll factory.

All those rich Arabs about with their oil money and we get the one and only Arab that owns a bog roll factory.

I really wouldn't like to see wee John go but sadly it makes sense if the board don't think he'll sign a new contract. While I also think he'd be able to get a gig at a higher level, going to wigan at the same level did Gary Teale a power of good when they got back to back promotions, became an epl player, millionaire and Scottish international, if your good enough (John is) and have the desire (John does) then he'll play in the EPL, maybe with Sheffield or maybe with someone else.

This story won't go away unfortunately.......

Sheffield United remain firmly in the hunt for John McGinn and hope to conclude a deal for the St Mirren midfielder before the start of pre-season.

United boss Nigel Clough had an initial bid rejected “immediately” by the Scottish side, with officials north of the border valuing the 19-year-old’s services at around £400,000. But United, who initially are thought to have offered £100,000, remain keen on the youngster, the brother of Bramall Lane midfielder Stephen.

Reading between the lines it sounds like ~300K would do it.....maybe a bit less....

With Newton, Maclean McGowan and McGinn all leaving, Tommy's certainly got a tough summer ahead of him...

Edited by ds10

This story won't go away unfortunately.......

Sheffield United remain firmly in the hunt for John McGinn and hope to conclude a deal for the St Mirren midfielder before the start of pre-season.

United boss Nigel Clough had an initial bid rejected “immediately” by the Scottish side, with officials north of the border valuing the 19-year-old’s services at around £400,000. But United, who initially are thought to have offered £100,000, remain keen on the youngster, the brother of Bramall Lane midfielder Stephen.

Reading between the lines it sounds like ~300K would do it.....maybe a bit less....

With Newton, Maclean McGowan and McGinn all leaving, Tommy's certainly got a tough summer ahead of him...

The earlier deal that was rumoured with us getting 350k plus Lyle Taylor would be more favourable. Stick in a sell on clause and we'd have to be content with that I guess.

Really don't understand why we would let him go for £300k if we can get around £250K compensation for him next season. Surely worth losing out on £50K to get another season out of him, especially if we are likely to lose Mclean and possibly Mcgowan as well.

I'm going to say it once more, and I probably won't be popular for doing so, but what must be borne in mind here is the current BoD want out as soon as possible. So, what is likely to be more attractive to them - a relatively modest six figure sum just now, or a reasonable development compensation fee when they might already be offski?

Sorry for being a wee bit cynical here, folks, but....

I agree with what you are saying Drew, I think if they were to offer 350k+ our board would probably accept.

Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if they accepted les than that, JJ.

The current BoD are likely to want to demonstrate that home grown players can realise a return, as this is something that could be attractive. Hence my hunch (and that is all it is).

They are evidence of a successful youth development system, and that is an asset of far higher value. Selling McGinn would be a tangible demonstration of this.

Apologies - I appreciate it seems a tad arrogant quoting one's own posts, but I couldn't be arsed repeating points I have done to death.

Hope I'm wrong, but....