John Mcginn Club Statement

Mark Wotte's answer in today's Record to producing players like Holland?

Essentially they are all black or mixed race and and are faster/more athletic as they have a different gene pool.

To summarise, black guys run fast, white guys don't.

Unbelievable.

We'll be doin' good in 20 years when we field a team of Isma's brood! cloud9.gif

Essentially they are all black or mixed race and and are faster/more athletic as they have a different gene pool.

Unbelievable.

Gordon Strachan said much the same thing about why Belgium are so far ahead of us.

Because until recently most of the coaches in Scotland played hoofball (accept that Hibs have still been doing that this season) and very little was taught in the way of technique. McLean and McGinn would both have been exposed to a fair degree of that, granted they were also amongst the first to have technique and ball control being part of the training too. It's the group that is coming through at U17 level and below which will be a fairer comparison.

Totally disagree.

Scotland's problem is that we spend too much time trying to match what countries like Holland do.

Norway achieved success at international level by focusing on playing more "hoofball".

Not point trying to beat countries like Holland playing their own game.

Unbelievable.

White men can't jump either!

Aye, we lost that game, as well as lots of others. 1eye.gif

With a couple more like Archie we would have stuffed them. I heard Brian Clough interviewed at the time and he said the thing about Archie is, he isn't the best player in the world 'but little bugger bloody well thinks he is!' Not a bad attitude.

Totally disagree.

Scotland's problem is that we spend too much time trying to match what countries like Holland do.

Norway achieved success at international level by focusing on playing more "hoofball".

Not point trying to beat countries like Holland playing their own game.

What success was this? A qualification record weaker than ours, lying about 20 places behind us in current FIFA standings. losing to Albania at home in their recent qualifiers.

Edited by Bloomsbury Bud

I never seen any of the players you name playing for St Mirren, so I don't know what kind of potential they had, but back then the top teams in England were full of Scots. Look at the Forrest and Liverpool teams that conquered Europe in the 80's, both had large contingents of Scottish players.

Sadly, for whatever reason, those days are now gone. Indeed the last Scot to play in a UCL final was Lambert, 17 years ago! The only top class player to come out of this country in the 21st is Fletcher, and he left Scotland at 14.

This is not a slight on McGinn or McLean, they are without doubt two of the top young Scottish midfielders anywhere. The point is there's a clear difference between a top Scottish player and a top European player.

You think it's realistic that either McGinn or McLean will be running out for a Chelsea or a Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League any time soon? Sorry, I don't. It's pretty probable that Quincy Promes will be though, he's the guy who scored a hat trick the other night.

There's nothing wrong with being a solid Championship level player in England, you can make a lot of money in that league. I think and hope that's where both of them end up, and I think both will go on to represent Scotland at senior level.

You're making me feel old Top Cat. I remember well - Stevie Clarke was a worldbeater even back then, Lambert though was different though he had bags of potential - we played him as an attacking midfielder and considered him a "flair" player (I remember a game at love street where he did a "Zidane" double drag back) but then we signed Charnley and insisted everything go through him in midfield which marginalised Lambert so he was sold. Motherwell played him as an attacking midfielder too. He didn't actually look like a worldbeater till Dortmund used him as a holding mid. i would say both mcginn and mclean have shown more for us than lambert did but not as much as Clarke.

Unbelievable.

Who was one of the best players on the park for Scotland. Anya remember his name. whistling.gif

Thommo, from that article;

"So it is great that the club have made it clear we are keeping hold of John.

"I think it will be more difficult with Kenny, as at 22 he is that bit older. But we will have to see how things develop."

Interesting!

Thommo, from that article;

"So it is great that the club have made it clear we are keeping hold of John.

"I think it will be more difficult with Kenny, as at 22 he is that bit older. But we will have to see how things develop."

Interesting!

If the price is right John will go same with Kenny or any other squad member

Sunday Mail......

Quote:- McGinn doesn't expect much change despite Tommy Craig replacing Danny Lennon.

But said: Tommy's been a big influence on my career and I'm sure he'll help me continue

to develop.

Doesn't sound like someone who wants to leave on bases of above statement if true.

And here was me thinking we won 3-2 with goals from Dalglish and Gemmill (2). I must be thinking of one of they other games when Archie "tore them [the Dutch] up for arse paper".

I knew we won that day but the goal difference wasn't enough. It was when Archie lined up to take the penalty that Clough said he wouldn't have let Archie take it and he added the bit about Archie thinking he was the best player in the world. I've said before that I grew up in Glenburn with Archie and he was a good friend. I can't help but be a bit biased with some of my comments about him. I wish we had one or two like him just now.

Posted by Stu on the official site.

From Twitter:

Rob Staton ‏@robstaton 4h

Nigel Clough tells me interest in John McGinn is over. Couldn't agree on a fee. Interest in James Wallace confirmed. #SUFC

Worth noting Rob Staton works for BBC Sheffield and is not someone making [Removed by Filter] up so I guess it's believable

Very early days, so I won't be holding out too much hope for hanging onto John, but fair play to the BoD if they are toughing this one out. Perhaps I have done them a disservice in my earlier comments. I hope so, and will gladly apologise if this is the case.

Both struggled, from the 20or so minutes that i tuned in for. They seemd to be lacking fitness and strength compared to their opponents who just seemed better athletes who were better prepared. Neither looked very assured when chasing the game

I think their performances put the recent talk of ever-escalating transfer fees in perspective. I would say that both of them need to adopt the elite-level approach to fitness if they are to meet the predictions of many saints fans, it is clear that neither of them have to date. their careers will be definfed by whether they can break out of scottish mentality.

The only thing you could really conclude from the Scotland Holland U21s is Thank ^^^^ that Billy Stark is not our manager!

I think that still leaves 2 clubs in the mix.

Often posturing like this does not always mean the end of the deal.How many times have we seen ' breathing space' then a deal ?

Or you can always look on the positive side.

Or you can always look on the positive side.

That is my thinking , positive.

Like has been said before , it seems if we are to let a player go it will be on our terms ( been a while since that happened)

Would love John to stay but it's been said 2 more clubs interested , it's hard to know for sure when a club says they have ended their interest if that's true or posturing sometimes.

Then next week or so will tell i guess.