Glasgow School Of Art Fire

Can't believe that the Mackintosh school of art is on fire as I write. The cause is unknown at the moment but I'm pretty ANGRY as the thought of inadequate fire prevention comes to mind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27541883

Don't upset yourself too much my sensitive wee soul of a forum friend.

The main point from the article that you kindly posted a link for us to read/view is that every person has manged to alight from the building safely. Bricks and mortar, however nice can always be replaced but at such an early stage in any such incident the first worry is for the safety of the people in and around the building and also any emergency service worker's attending the incident.

Now I am happy to read that no-one has been hurt.

What started the fire? What was not done that should have been? What could have been done better?

We can worry about that later.

Can't believe that the Mackintosh school of art is on fire as I write. The cause is unknown at the moment but I'm pretty ANGRY as the thought of inadequate fire prevention comes to mind.

Public buildings are under fire regulations and as such are inspected ?

Offshore workers such as myself have to attend fire courses on a regular basis because a platform or ship is the last place you want to be with a fire.

Still even with the best controls in place fires can break out and get out of control very quickly.

Massive assumption?

Correct

Don't upset yourself too much my sensitive wee soul of a forum friend.

The main point from the article that you kindly posted a link for us to read/view is that every person has manged to alight from the building safely. Bricks and mortar, however nice can always be replaced but at such an early stage in any such incident the first worry is for the safety of the people in and around the building and also any emergency service worker's attending the incident.

Now I am happy to read that no-one has been hurt.

What started the fire? What was not done that should have been? What could have been done better?

We can worry about that later.

Of course safety comes before anything else.

Sure, nothing can ever be 100% safe from fire but here we have perhaps the most iconic, historic and loved building in Glasgow and although my initial post displays some gut reaction I'm still dismayed. Where did the spark come from? Was someone doing something they shouldn't have? All will be revealed in due course.

With all the tourists coming during the Commonwealth Games - what a loss!

Wasn't Windsor Castle hugely damaged by fire, and Liz Windsor opened the doors to Buck' House to raise money? Windsor Castle was put back together.

If the exterior of the Art School survives, it would take a ton of money, but could (like Windsor Castle) be brought to life again. With craftsmen re-creating the interior in a Macintosh style.

Obviously not ideal, but there's no turning back the clock and the fire happened. Need to look forward and see what might be able to be done.

Where will the money come from? Cancel Trident, stop spending zillions on unwinnable wars, or grab Ally McCoist's transfer warchest.

Correct

Of course safety comes before anything else.

Sure, nothing can ever be 100% safe from fire but here we have perhaps the most iconic, historic and loved building in Glasgow and although my initial post displays some gut reaction I'm still dismayed. Where did the spark come from? Was someone doing something they shouldn't have? All will be revealed in due course.

With all the tourists coming during the Commonwealth Games - what a loss!

I completely understand my sensitive forum friend, understand completely indeed.

Yes this building (that I have never been in) truly is a loss and any damage to it will be felt by the art community particularly to those students who choose to do a degree in art rather than a useful subject.

I would be somewhat inconsolable if Paisley abbey was to catch fire or our stadium at Greenhill road.

But lets look at the positives

No-one killed

No-one injured

It wasn't in Paisley

Charles Rennie Mackintosh is a hugely important figure in our history and if he had built this art college in Paisley I would be right unhappy just as I would if the Coates memorial was burning as I speak.

pretty rapid to have conducted a full investigation and root cause analysis, but please, do share your findings with us

I'm pretty sure that this is one of the most photographed, researched and documented buildings in the country. i doubt there is a single detail that cant be re-created. Sad to see the original go but it will be re-built and you won't be able to see the join.

As for the student's art-work. That is the real tragedy. the work that is lost represents a quarter of a lifetime to some of these kids. Hopefully they will get the help they need, with at least the same priority as the re-building will get.

Edited by beyond our ken

Guest TPAFKATS

I'm pretty sure that this is one of the most photographed, researched and documented buildings in the country. i doubt there is a single detail that cant be re-created. Sad to see the original go but it will be re-built and you won't be able to see the join.

As for the student's art-work. That is the real tragedy. the work that is lost represents a quarter of a lifetime to some of these kids. Hopefully they will get the help they need, with at least the same priority as the re-building will get.

Hopefully most if not all of the degree shows has already been cataloged.

I agree. That for me is the most devastating thing.

I can't begin to imagine how they must be feeling.

For many of them this is their final years project work with graduation just a couple of months away.

Added to that the new and continuing students who may not have a place to study now.

That's possibly 4 or 5 years worth of young people with their immediate futures completely in the balance.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS

They'll get over it and will get dispensation for the "special factors" i.e. the school burning down and taking their work with it. Might even be a higher number passing this year than normal...

They'll get over it and will get dispensation for the "special factors" i.e. the school burning down and taking their work with it. Might even be a higher number passing this year than normal...

It depends whether they are studying for a degree which comes as either a pass or a fail or whether there is a classification scheme such as 1st, 2nd etc. where the difference can be career defining and by extension affect your entire life.