Thread For Steamers & Ferries

shull

I fairly miss my trip from Largs to Millport then Millport to Largs on the old Keppel.

Oh the memories.

Was on it many a time too. In the 70's and early 80's I was still involved with a BB company and we went our trip to Millport every year and quite often we took the Keppel. She was tiny but a great wee boat.

I used to enjoy being terrified whilst travelling almost horizontally, worried I would be ejected out of the porthole in the toilets on any of the Juno, Jupiter, Saturn, or Neptune (can't remember which were the regular ferries and which were the relief ones!) between Wemyss Bay and Rothesay... :-D Folks these days don't realise how good they've got it with their ferries!!!

Edited by zurich_allan

Going on the Waverley this Tuesday. Sailing from the Science Centre at 7am to Oban.

My mates recently deceased 94 year old mum left him money for us to take a trip as she was a frequent passenger.

Indeed she walked on, with a little help, in 2012 for her last excursion.

There is a charity being formed to bring back the old Queen Mary steamer to the Clyde to have her refurbished for cruses again. However I would think this is a romantic idea that will not happen you just need to see how much the Waverly paddle steamer is struggling financially to know it will be a no.

Like many as a young can remember taking the steamer train with windows you could roll down and pop your head out and smell when you were near the sea. Then the large crowds boarding the steamers for trips all over the Clyde.

It's these trips and memories that drew me to Bute.

Edit to add.

Remember the 'Duchess Of Hamilton' she was a bonnie lady loved sailing on her.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

There is a charity being formed to bring back the old Queen Mary steamer to the Clyde to have her refurbished for cruses again. However I would think this is a romantic idea that will not happen you just need to see how much the Waverly paddle steamer is struggling financially to know it will be a no.

Like many as a young can remember taking the steamer train with windows you could roll down and pop your head out and smell when you were near the sea. Then the large crowds boarding the steamers for trips all over the Clyde.

It's these trips and memories that drew me to Bute.

Edit to add.

Remember the 'Duchess Of Hamilton' she was a bonnie lady loved sailing on her.

When you say sailing, dae ye mean sailing ?

When you say sailing, dae ye mean sailing ?

Do you remember when the trial known as the Duchess of Hamilton scandal was going on there was a spoof news item that said when they announced over the tannoy at Rothesay pier that the Duchess of Hamilton was approaching, over three hundred men were killed in the rush? And did she really do what yon famous photo suggested? And who did she do it to? Lucky bastard.

I fairly miss my trip from Largs to Millport then Millport to Largs on the old Keppel.

Oh the memories.

My memory is of travelling on the Largs-Millport run on the Ashton and the Leven.

ASHTON and LEVEN, built originally for up-river service during Glasgow's 1938 Empire Exhibition and latterly on the Largs-Millport station." As far as I can gather, they were sold by the Caledonian Steam Packet Company in 1965. I think the Keppel replaced them.

Edited by smcc

Did there not used to be a Hovercraft service to some of the Clyde Coast Towns?

A Hovercraft service did run between Largs and Millport but only for a few months.

I used to enjoy being terrified whilst travelling almost horizontally, worried I would be ejected out of the porthole in the toilets on any of the Juno, Jupiter, Saturn, or Neptune (can't remember which were the regular ferries and which were the relief ones!) between Wemyss Bay and Rothesay... :-D Folks these days don't realise how good they've got it with their ferries!!!

I prefer my ferry travel to be horizontal, feckin' hat vertical, that does my stomach in. I presume you meant "sideways".

Do you remember when the trial known as the Duchess of Hamilton scandal was going on there was a spoof news item that said when they announced over the tannoy at Rothesay pier that the Duchess of Hamilton was approaching, over three hundred men were killed in the rush? And did she really do what yon famous photo suggested? And who did she do it to? Lucky bastard.

I don't remember anything about that, sounds juicy. What was the story?

The were known as the clyde streakers.

They were the first of the fleet to have a fore propeller in addition to the more traditional aft propeller.

As you say, it allowed them to "turn on a sixpence".

It was quite a sight seeing one of them steaming at a fair speed directly towards the pier, only to switch on the fore propeller and it would swing right round and berth at the car ramps with relative ease.

The days just flew by then..................................

The Jupiter and the Juno have been scrapped. The Saturn's last berth was at Rosneath pier, in storage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5OMd23sguk

Edited by FTOF