SuperSaints 12

I thought Plummer was a centre half.

Looks more like a full back

We need a defender who strength is in the air

McGregor for all his faults was at least that

Set plays are a big thing and we need strong players to defend and attack

Thommo and Higdon were excellent for this

That's why we need another target man to come in also

So you're assuming the two German players that Dundee have signed (as an example) are any better, or do you know more about their pedigree then the rest of us.

I'm not interested in the legions of mediocre signings that Dundee, Ross County et al have made, Billy. My only concern is St MIrren. Dundee might have depth, but you could have argued the same when we had the likes of Tonet, Puri, Bahoken, Caprice, Djemba Djemba etc. on our books, but that doesn't make them worthwhile players to have.

Indeed. Dundee fans are wetting their knickers at signing two totally unknown German players, one of whom played in the German fifth tier.

We signed someone from the English fifth tier and he was immediately classed as "shite" and a "cost cutting exercise".

I'd much rather blood players like Brown, Hughes and Williams, that know the club inside out, rather than spend thousands on unknown quantities. I think all three will make a significant contribution, if called upon, when the season starts.

Yes, we do need experience and as WC points out, where the f**k is our CH? Plummer may well have played at CH, but unless he's got spring heels, then I'd seriously doubt that he'd be a serious CH pairing with McAusland.

The CH situation should have been sorted already IMO, but some might say, it's dejá vu, concerning this particular position.

Edited by FTOF

Let's wait for the first game to see how many wee boys we've got on the bench !

Did Alan Hansen not have this attitude?

The squad may or may not prove good enough and I do agree we need more depth but I don't see the lads in training every day so the average age of the squad and the particular number of years on God's earth for any individual may not corrolate with their abilities.

I would like us to sign an experienced centre half , who can take control of things at the back and organise a back four , we may have to search the lower leagues in England for this type of player , would also like an experienced hard working midfielder and a striker , and I think we might just about be able to put a decent team out , probably need another five signings to have a squad that will see us through to the end of the year.

I think all the buddies out there should take a deep breath, Tommy Craig should sign a couple of players this week in time for the tour of england. KEEP CALM and WATCH THIS SPACE ! according to Lovestreet's mole

No chance, he hasn't even surfaced yet.

Hibs and Hearts have been replaced with Dundee and Hamilton. You seriously think the league's got stronger?

What I am saying is Hearts started last season 15 points adrift and with a squad of young unknowns, they were barred from signing players. Both Dundee and Hamiton start on equal points, both can sign players and both are as strong as Hearts were at the start of the season and they both have 15 points more than Hearts.

Hearts were as good as relegated before a ball was kicked. Are you convinced both Dundee and Hamilton are as good as relegated?

I don't know how many points we have dropped over the years because we have lacked a good quality defender.

I think this season is our best chance to make the top 6!

Our two problem areas last year were our lack of goals and the amount of soft goals we gave away!

We have added 2 strikers to our squad and hope we add another striker soon?.

We now need to look at central defence I would like to see the club bring in an experienced Cb.

I don't mind McCausland he has started pre season well captained the side on 2 occasions now. And we have not conceded a goal!

Plumber looks a bit on the small side to play Cb and don't think we can rely on a loan player!

I think Melja has done ok so far but Tommy's not 100% convinced and that's fine by me because that would suggest he's looking at bringing in a better quality central defender?...

Quite simply we need several new players. With the greatest of respect we will struggle to fill the bench and if we do it will be Reilly and other kids. If this is the route were going down fine but the kids had better be brilliant or else were going to get an absolute pumping most weeks

What I am saying is Hearts started last season 15 points adrift and with a squad of young unknowns, they were barred from signing players. Both Dundee and Hamiton start on equal points, both can sign players and both are as strong as Hearts were at the start of the season and they both have 15 points more than Hearts.

Hearts were as good as relegated before a ball was kicked. Are you convinced both Dundee and Hamilton are as good as relegated?

Hearts weren't as good as relegated according to many on here and many in the mainstream media. It was the common consensus at one point that they would stay up and catch us in the process.

I'd rather have Dundee and Hamilton than Hearts -15 and Hibs yes.

Not just that, Partick and Killie look weaker, as do County, St Johnstone and ICT,

We're weaker too at present., Harkins and McGowan were paid well and mcgregor wouldn't have been playing for free. What I would like to see is us using the cash to bring in two or three proven spl players to enhance the squad and help take us to the next level. If you load the team with youth we will undoubtedly struggle

Edited by norrie82

Hibs and Hearts have been replaced with Dundee and Hamilton. You seriously think the league's got stronger?

We lost the 2 poorest sides and replaced them with the 2 best sides in the league below.

The second top side beat Hibs over 2 legs, that's a fair argument that they are in fact stronger than Hibs?

We lost the 2 poorest sides and replaced them with the 2 best sides in the league below.

The second top side beat Hibs over 2 legs, that's a fair argument that they are in fact stronger than Hibs?

At the end of last season they were yes, but Hibs had got themselves into a terrible state. You really think Hamilton are going to be a bigger threat to us next year than Hibs would have been?

Hamilton have a smaller budget than we do, Hibs would have a considerably larger one.

Looks more like a full back

Set plays are a big thing and we need strong players to defend and attack

Thommo and Higdon were excellent for this

That's why we need another target man to come in also

Exactly .

Surely , that isn't rocket science. .

as they did last season and look how well that worked out for them?

Well exactly. It's unlikely they would be as bad two years in a row though.

Would you rather have a team with a bigger budget than us in the league, or a team with a lower budget?

I think we would all agree that we need to further strengthen, but there is still still to do this - plenty of time. I think it is far too early to panic, and certainly not on the basis of who Dundee, County, and Thistle etc. have signed.

I do, however, agree that we should have been prioritising the centre of defence as well as forward position as soon as we had the goalkeeping situation nailed down. I'm neither overly optimistic nor sensing doom regarding the upcoming season. I'm trying to enjoy the downtime/summer, and not become pre-occupied with who we are or aren't signing. We need to trust the guys at the club to do their jobs, as there isn't a damn thing we can do to influence what is going on behind the scenes. There will be ample time and opportunity for recriminations if they fail to meet whatever expectations we might have in due course.

My guess would be that we'll sign 2 or 3 more players. There will be no marquee signings (I think McLean was our lot in that respect), so no doubt however many additions we bring in, and whatever their pedigree, there will always be scope for a good greet. My advice would be to hold something back for that inevitability.

McGregor had a heid like a thrup'ny bit. Granted, he did use it, but with limited effect latterly (at either end of the pitch).

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, however.