Youngster In Contract Dispute

HSS

I thought that all contracts were lodges with the relevant authorities (either SFA or SPFL probably) and scrutinised to ensure that they comply with the rules of the association.

Well - not if you're Sevco or that club that died ... What were they called again....? :unsure:

Edited by bluto

My understanding is that the lad was given leave from football to pursue his studies and there is no doubt he is on a different level academically to most kids his age.As a club we have not denied him this and in fact have encouraged it.I have no doubt he will make money most of us can only dream of if he carries on with his studies and gets his doctorate.The stumbling block football wise is that we have invested heavily in his development and he cant just walk away.He,s a good footballer with the mind of a scientist.I,d love him to succeed at both while playing for St Mirren.

Guest TPAFKATS

Expenses.

Mind you Fergie got sacked for paying the likes of Mcavennie their bus fare and enough for a fish supper out of petty cash.

And a wee bit more for McGarvey to invest at the bookies.

Edit, expenses? he wasn't paid according them according to the story

Edited by TPAFKATS

My understanding is that the lad was given leave from football to pursue his studies and there is no doubt he is on a different level academically to most kids his age.As a club we have not denied him this and in fact have encouraged it.I have no doubt he will make money most of us can only dream of if he carries on with his studies and gets his doctorate.The stumbling block football wise is that we have invested heavily in his development and he cant just walk away.He,s a good footballer with the mind of a scientist.I,d love him to succeed at both while playing for St Mirren.

If only Oaksoft had been a good footballer as well...

Anyone would think we just draw up the contracts on the back of a fag packet and don't actually have our own lawyers making sure everything's done legally !!!!!

Chris Stewart and Allan Marshall are both lawyers I think so I imagine they have an input on contracts.

The issue all an sundry in the media and politicians are dodging is that this lad and many others play youth football whilst going to college, school, work etc....

If they are sincere in their beliefs then every youth football team in the country will have to pay its players the national minimum wage!

Kieran again reiterates he just wants to tear up his contract, he's not pushing the wage thing.

Come to think of it surely i've got a historical claim for three seasons at Gleniffer Thistle..?

The issue all an sundry in the media and politicians are dodging is that this lad and many others play youth football whilst going to college, school, work etc....

If they are sincere in their beliefs then every youth football team in the country will have to pay its players the national minimum wage!

Kieran again reiterates he just wants to tear up his contract, he's not pushing the wage thing.

Come to think of it surely i've got a historical claim for three seasons at Gleniffer Thistle..?

Did you sign a professional contract with them?

Did you sign a professional contract with them?

It isn't about his "professional" contract (he says) it's about his registration and they are different things. For example Motherwell held James McFadden's registration last season but he wasn't paid or "employed" by Motherwell.

Wrong!

His contract is registered with the SPFL and the SFA as a youth development contract, like every other youth player , at every other professional club in Scotland. None of them get paid until they sign a full/part time playing contract.

Its like any youth team playing down at St James, you can't just walk out of one team and into another when it suits! The difference here is the youth team are affiliated to the club, but again they are their own entity. He forgot to mention he was at college, and this was like any other youth team.

A youngster can walk out of one team and move to another at any time so youve got that wrong. The only reason id be allowed to hold onto a players registration would be if he hadnt paid his dues or returned his kit. Beyond that the SYFA would cancel his registraion and let him move on.

My opinion on thus is its of dubious legality and it show, yet again, why the pro youth set up in Scotland is failing the sport and the kids wihin it.

It isn't about his "professional" contract (he says) it's about his registration and they are different things. For example Motherwell held James McFadden's registration last season but he wasn't paid or "employed" by Motherwell.

Just as I thought this is a can of worms which will have bigger implications for the rest of Scottish football now you have politicians involved for their own publicity. As I wrote further back this could have been cleared up quickly now I fear it's too late. Now it seems the players union wrote to clubs explaining they should be paying the minimum wage and that rouble would brew in the future if not, well the future has arrived on that matter.

Why are you persisting with that line? Theres a world of difference between a juvenile sports club like Gleniffer playing in the juvenile and amateur leagues and a senior professional football club signing promising youngstes with the deliberate aim of restricting that players movement.

Why are you persisting with that line? Theres a world of difference between a juvenile sports club like Gleniffer playing in the juvenile and amateur leagues and a senior professional football club signing promising youngstes with the deliberate aim of restricting that players movement.

So you agree it affects all youth players regardless of which club they are affiliated to!

If the lad wanted to go play for Gleniffer or a similar club i dare say his registration would be cancelled, but in this case another club is attempting to lure a contracted and registerd player with the sole aim of avoiding payment of development fees.

Now you are always banging on about how clubs wherever they play in whichever league should receive development fees when a youngster is poached. So you can't have your cake (although the scales may disagree) and eat it Dicko.... If the rules good enough for one its good enough for all!

Edited by Lord Pityme

Guest TPAFKATS

8 pages (on my phone) into this on here, another daily record article today, politicians getting tuppence worth in.

This is on danger of becoming a campaign, we need a prompt statement from the club on this.

The second article says he was on 95 quid a week when he went full time in the summer. so that works out at about 36 hours wages at nmw. what's wrong with that for an apprentice footballer? I doubt he ever did 36 hours of work. He should try working in a building site or a kitchen as an apprentice and see what graft really is.

He also says he just wants to play football in the second article. That's his own fault. He's got a full time contract with an spfl team that most boys would bite your hand off for and he's trying to get out of it.

A guy on here once said. f**kEM

As someone has already posted, if he's off to uni to pursue a long-term career path, other than football, then the club should assess what benefits there are to holding onto him (other than getting some compensation for the development of the lad)..

It may be better to loan him out, or come to an agreement with him if he plays for any other team over the next 4 years they compensate Saints and that ends the furore. If after 4 years he wants to go back to football, having concentrated on his studies then that's his decision, he won't have much chance of making it big by the age of 23 or 24.

Also, if what has been posted is true that he is heading off to do medicine, he will have no time to seriously train, or compete at any serious level for the next 5 years. The course is that demanding.