Kenny Mclean

You sure?

I thought the very same thing about Lambert when we dropped to the old Div 1... ... his performance in the opening day 7 goal hammering by Raith was a sign of things to come... he disappeared in that league.

Skilful players play better the bigger the stage to perform on.

Woooosh! When Teale said McLean could play in the Championship, he clearly meant the one with Norwich and Fulham in it dahn safff. whistling.gif

Edited by pozbaird

In the summer nobody would pay the 300-400k compensation that we were entitled too, so he was essentially forced to sign a new contract with us. Why would any team all of a sudden want to pay more than that? It's not like Kenny has improved leaps and bounds since the summer. If they came back with a 250k offer, the BOD would snap their hand off.

Kenny is a fabulous player he is worth top dollar no question at all.He was fantastic yesterday.

Kenny is a fantastic player.

Unfortunately, no clubs BOD would allow their manager to go out and splash crazy money on a player they could have got in August for 300-400k and like I said, Kenny hasn't improved that much since August if at all.

Kenny is a fantastic player.

Unfortunately, no clubs BOD would allow their manager to go out and splash crazy money on a player they could have got in August for 300-400k and like I said, Kenny hasn't improved that much since August if at all.

And given that we rejected a bid of 500k for him long before that, your point is moot. He HAS improved since that one.

The board will not make a decision like that unless there was a permanent manager in place. We should be accepting around 350-500k for kenny. He's got a certain swagger about him that makes him stand out. Kenny has improved since the summer and I feel works much better off the ball these days. Very versatile player also.

Edited by smfc_spec_1877

And given that we rejected a bid of 500k for him long before that, your point is moot. He HAS improved since that one.

That 500k bid was only a rumour. It was never confirmed or acknowledged by either our BOD or any bidding clubs BOD.

If any club had bid that amount, Kenny wouldn't be a St Mirren player today.

ETA.. The same club could have come back in the summer and got him for 300-400k, but didn't. There wasn't exactly a queue of other clubs either.

Edited by Tony Fitzy

That 500k bid was only a rumour. It was never confirmed or acknowledged by either our BOD or any bidding clubs BOD.

If any club had bid that amount, Kenny wouldn't be a St Mirren player today.

ETA.. The same club could have come back in the summer and got him for 300-400k, but didn't. There wasn't exactly a queue of other clubs either.

It was confirmed to me in person by a member of the group responsible for rejecting it!

And behold... he's still here.

Do you enjoy talking down our best young players and biggest assets?

What exactly are you hoping to achieve?

It was confirmed to me in person by a member of the group responsible for rejecting it!

And behold... he's still here.

Do you enjoy talking down our best young players and biggest assets?

What exactly are you hoping to achieve?

Well, you are very lucky to be so "highly" connected.

Why did nobody take him in the summer for 300-400k then?

I am not talking down anybody, I'm simply being realistic. I would love him to stay. Kenny is a fantastic player "50% of the time". At other times he simply looks lost/non-existant. If he could translate that "50% of the time" into "most of the time", then I would tend to agree that we should be looking for upwards of 750k. Unfortunately, he is too inconsistant to command such a fee and he is now at an age where any club would not be buying potential, they would be looking for a proven player who could maybe improve a little over time.

If you were boss of another team, how much would you be willing to bid for Kenny?

Taking everything into account, I wouldn't go more than 300k, but I reckon the first bid of 250k that comes in will be accepted.

The board will not make a decision like that unless there was a permanent manager in place. We should be accepting around 350-500k for kenny. He's got a certain swagger about him that makes him stand out. Kenny has improved since the summer and I feel works much better off the ball these days. Very versatile player also.

At clubs like St Mirren the manager is well aware that if an acceptable offer comes in for a player, it will be accepted.

If a 350k-500k offer came in for Kenny tomorrow, do you really think the BOD would hold off til they appoint a new boss to ask him if they should accept?

Edited by Tony Fitzy

Well, you are very lucky to be so "highly" connected.

Why did nobody take him in the summer for 300-400k then?

I am not talking down anybody, I'm simply being realistic. I would love him to stay. Kenny is a fantastic player "50% of the time". At other times he simply looks lost/non-existant. If he could translate that "50% of the time" into "most of the time", then I would tend to agree that we should be looking for upwards of 750k. Unfortunately, he is too inconsistant to command such a fee and he is now at an age where any club would not be buying potential, they would be looking for a proven player who could maybe improve a little over time.

If you were boss of another team, how much would you be willing to bid for Kenny?

Taking everything into account, I wouldn't go more than 300k, but I reckon the first bid of 250k that comes in will be accepted.

I am neither lucky nor highly connected... just happened to be in conversation with the right person at the right time (giving him a hard time) when he volunteered the information as a sign of the clubs ambition.

How times have changed.

Remember the pelters some of our fans gave Adams? Remember the sheer abuse he got from rangers fans? Remember how good he "became" at Blackpool?

The same 50% allegations were levelled at him.

Hell... I remember them being levelled at Billy Stark.

In the current market and given that he is under contract, any less than 500k is theft.

He is a better player than the bloke that just went down South from that new Scottish club for twice that.

I reckon McLean is easily worth 500k of a club down South's money.... but not with a patchy season behind him, some petulance beginning to be shown, and prior to this season, injury troubles.

In the team every week, playing his A game, showing the passion of the Motherwell game but not the bleating at team-mates of the Killie game, and fit?

500k no problem. Every day of the week.

Edited by pozbaird

I am neither lucky nor highly connected... just happened to be in conversation with the right person at the right time (giving him a hard time) when he volunteered the information as a sign of the clubs ambition.

How times have changed.

Remember the pelters some of our fans gave Adams? Remember the sheer abuse he got from rangers fans? Remember how good he "became" at Blackpool?

In the current market and given that he is under contract, any less than 500k is theft.

He is a better player than the bloke that just went down South from that new Scottish club for twice that.

I agree with a lot of the points you have made regarding previous players.

Unfortunately, in Kenny's case nobody was willing to pay 300k+ for him 6 months ago when he was out of contract and nobody is likely to pay upwards of that now that he has a contract with 18 months to run.

If less than 500k is theft, then prepare to be robbed.

Don't be surprised if nobody comes back with another bid though.

Regarding the boy at that "new Scottish club".

The following went in the "new club's" favour:

He played for "Rangers or Celtic" (automatically doubles the price)

He is 19 with potential to improve a lot.

He had 3 and a half years left on his contract.

Has been one of their best players this season, if not their best.

Edited by Tony Fitzy

How times have changed.

Charlie Adam was an absolute stand out. Scored goals from the half way line, had a free kick on him that was like a rocket and his dead ball delivery was the best in the league. He's certainly one of the best players I've ever seen play for us. He also had the attitude and self belief that he was the best player in the country. That's why he went on to play for Liverpool and Scotland.

Kenny McLean is not in the same bracket as Adam IMO. I've never sat at a game and thought McLean is one of the best st mirren players in my lifetime. Charlie is tho

Edited by Big Yards

Charlie Adam was an absolute stand out. Scored goals from the half way line, had a free kick on him that was like a rocket and his dead ball delivery was the best in the league. He's certainly one of the best players I've ever seen play for us. He also had the attitude and self belief that he was the best player in the country. That's why he went on to play for Liverpool and Scotland.

Kenny McLean is not in the same bracket as Adam IMO. I've never sat at a game and thought McLean is one of the best st mirren players in my lifetime. Charlie is tho

On Sportscene 2 former players said McLean is a very good player and would flourish in the right position.Easily Championship they said the problem that our former manager played him in a quarterback role in front of the defence.He's a midfield player who can and will score goals i expect other offers to now come in

I gather Mark Guidi on Radio Clyde said Kenny McLean was "worth more than £150k but we might consider £200k"

.....followed minutes later by Lewis MacLeod is a steal at £1m !

That's like me paying £2 for Kellogs cornflakes at my corner shop then my Dad coming in telling me he's bought

TESCO's own brand for £10 and he's got a right bargain.

MENTAL !