Is The Future Bright?

A Pessimist is what a Optimist calls a Realist

What is the outlook like for the Saints this coming season?

I like the fact that Mr Gilmour got rid of the debt and put us on a surer foundation, living within our means. But let’s be honest, we have been cutting our cloth so thin that we have been spiralling downwards on the field for several seasons. (The cup win was not too long ago)

We have had 5 or more trialists training and playing over a week ago – but none have been signed. Are they not good enough or can we not convince them to sign? Either way, something is not right.

So for the umpteenth season in a row, we are a couple of weeks away from the start of the season with just over ½ a squad. The trouble is the half we have were not good enough last term and even though we are now in a lower division, with this squad there is no way we will complete with Hibs or Rangers.

Last year we never scored enough goals. If Thomo has another year like last we are relying on the regularly injured Gow, then we are in trouble. Even if both stay injury free, how many goals will they get? Having lost MacLean and McGinn, are the signings we have made in their league – clearly not?

Every team that wins leagues have 3 or more players who score 15 or more goals in a season and usually 20 or more. Will we even have one? In defence we lost too many goals last year too – so that needs improving if we will be serious contenders.

Let’s get a scorer or 2 like Zeefuik who hit 12 goals in 15 games for Hearts last season and a class sweeper urgently – and blow the budget just a little! Where is Goncalves or the next Doug Somner?

I like the fact that Mr Gilmour got rid of the debt and put us on a surer foundation, living within our means. But let’s be honest, we have been cutting our cloth so thin that we have been spiralling downwards on the field for several seasons. (The cup win was not too long ago)

We have had 5 or more trialists training and playing over a week ago – but none have been signed. Are they not good enough or can we not convince them to sign? Either way, something is not right.

So for the umpteenth season in a row, we are a couple of weeks away from the start of the season with just over ½ a squad. The trouble is the half we have were not good enough last term and even though we are now in a lower division, with this squad there is no way we will complete with Hibs or Rangers.

Last year we never scored enough goals. If Thomo has another year like last we are relying on the regularly injured Gow, then we are in trouble. Even if both stay injury free, how many goals will they get? Having lost MacLean and McGinn, are the signings we have made in their league – clearly not?

Every team that wins leagues have 3 or more players who score 15 or more goals in a season and usually 20 or more. Will we even have one? In defence we lost too many goals last year too – so that needs improving if we will be serious contenders.

Let’s get a scorer or 2 like Zeefuik who hit 12 goals in 15 games for Hearts last season and a class sweeper urgently – and blow the budget just a little! Where is Goncalves or the next Doug Somner?

mmmm ? Captain Sensible ? Why the need to log in on a new name.

I'm quite hopful for the coming season finishing in a playoff spot should be achivable , however till we see the first few games and what squad its hard to predict anything .

Not sure what you mean about a new name - this is the 1st time I have been on the forum.

We are notoriously bad starters... the obvious reason for that is that half the squad arrives late and are usually not an improvement on what we already have (having let our highest earners go)... and then we are on the back foot... sack the manager and begin the vicious circle all over again.

The smart teams have their targets signed up before the end of the season. (I do appreciate that we did not know what league we would be in - but there was a point that it was clear we were going down and we never managed to line up anyone other than Agnew.

We don't have half a team. Our manager has indicated he would like around another 5 players which would give us around a squad of 20 players. Most clubs now operate with such a size to cut costs.

Not sure what you mean about a new name - this is the 1st time I have been on the forum.

We are notoriously bad starters... the obvious reason for that is that half the squad arrives late and are usually not an improvement on what we already have (having let our highest earners go)... and then we are on the back foot... sack the manager and begin the vicious circle all over again.

The smart teams have their targets signed up before the end of the season. (I do appreciate that we did not know what league we would be in - but there was a point that it was clear we were going down and we never managed to line up anyone other than Agnew.

Manager position, players out of contract and budgets all had to be dealt with so how could we sign players before clarifying the above?

Who they !

Do they?

Rangers - About a dozen out, 3 in.

Falkirk 2 players in so far.

Hibs - Keatings signed early and 2 replacement goalies.

No one in this league currently has the squad that they'll be going with in 3 weeks time when it really matters.

Our friendlies have been completely experimental so far, as tomorrow will be as well.

Edited by djchapsticks

As a St.Mirren supporter of almost 58years you just never know what type of season you are going to get but in the manager we have placed our trust as reflected in the upward trend of season tickets as compared to last season. So far we hopefully have signed some decent players for the Scottish Championship and got rid of those that our manager thought were not up to the mark. My guess, which is just as good as others that contribute to this forum, is that will we will not only bring in another couple of signings but also have a good season.

So at this stage I am not panicking and my hope is neither will other St.Mirren supporters and give Ian Murray a chance from us to build a team.

As a St.Mirren supporter of almost 58years you just never know what type of season you are going to get but in the manager we have placed our trust as reflected in the upward trend of season tickets as compared to last season. So far we hopefully have signed some decent players for the Scottish Championship and got rid of those that our manager thought were not up to the mark. My guess, which is just as good as others that contribute to this forum, is that will we will not only bring in another couple of signings but also have a good season.

So at this stage I am not panicking and my hope is neither will other St.Mirren supporters and give Ian Murray a chance from us to build a team.

Good post, take a Bow....clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

We might get promoted next season, on the other hand we might get relegated.

We might lose in the promotion playoffs, we might win the relegation playoffs.

Or maybe we'll finish 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th and none of the above will happen.

Who knows? Absolutely nobody. It's a very fresh team in a new league with a new manager. Anything could happen, we just need to wait and see what will.

Other than those who think I have been on the forum before and the abusive comments about that, I am enjoying the sentiment from true fans of our beloved team. (I was born in Greenock Road in a house that overlooked the ground)

I agree that so far Falkirk have not done great in the transfer window either. QOS have lost 7/11th of their team etc. But Hibs had a good team and have added better than we have. Rangers, the jury is out on, though they will happily pay better money for really good players like Danny Wilson - I just dread to see another set of dregs being signed at the last minute from who is left. (Need I mention Ball, Marwood etc.)

4 or 5 players needed - I think we need 8 or 9. Ross County were heading down before Christmas, but they speculated on a lot of players and from hardly winning, strung a run together with competition for places a real incentive.

I played for a lot of teams that won leagues and trophies, and had the most clean sheets in a season in their league - it is not rocket science - Does anyone really believe we are likely to be the top scorers or the have the best defensive record in the new season?

I am not judging Murray before he gets a chance - I just hope that his hands are not too constrained by the Gilmour budget system (I don't know if that is fair - but Teal wanted to sign guys who went to our competitors last time - and we all know the result of that).

Edited by Sweeper07

I'm pretty happy that Murray isn't signing any old shite and is taking his time, particularly with the trialists. Shows he's thorough, and I think that will stand him in good stead. Also, Marwood was not a last minute signing - he was the first player to be signed early in the summer if my memory serves me right.

Plus if the rumours are true in that we might be bringing in Shankland, Langfield, and Rankin, then the squad looks significantly better already. Let's just wait and see- there WILL be new players by the time the Berwick game comes around.

Other than those who think I have been on the forum before and the abusive comments about that, I am enjoying the sentiment from true fans of our beloved team. (I was born in Greenock Road in a house that overlooked the ground)I agree that so far Falkirk have not done great in the transfer window either. QOS have lost 7/11th of their team etc. But Hibs had a good team and have added better than we have. Rangers, the jury is out on, though they will happily pay better money for really good players like Danny Wilson - I just dread to see another set of dregs being signed at the last minute from who is left. (Need I mention Ball, Marwood etc.)4 or 5 players needed - I think we need 8 or 9. Ross County were heading down before Christmas, but they speculated on a lot of players and from hardly winning, strung a run together with competition for places a real incentive.I played for a lot of teams that won leagues and trophies, and had the most clean sheets in a season in their league - it is not rocket science - Does anyone really believe we are likely to be the top scorers or the have the best defensive record in the new season?I am not judging Murray before he gets a chance - I just hope that his hands are not to constrained by the Gilmour budget system (I don't know if that is fair - but Teal wanted to sign guys who went to our competitors last time - and we all know the result of that).

That will be the good Hibs side that bottled it in the Scottish Cup and play off? They will be up there in what may be a tighter league than some think. Scumgers are not setting the heather on fire with their new signings while QOS have lost their best players while we rid ourselves with some bad ones. We don't need 9 new players but rather 4-5 good quality ones to support the young talented ones we already have and provide cover for Thommo. Goodwin and Gow.

Edited by nedflanders123

We were supposed to get relegated in the 1999/2000 Season.

I've often seen that repeated Shull but I don't remember that ever being the case. After all there was only one relegation spot that season and Clydebank were in a hell of a mess, deeply in administration and with the team travelling to their home matches at Cappielow in an aged Transit minibus that kept on breaking down. And along side them were Airdrieonians who in 1999 had discovered that their directors had made an almighty f**k up in spending all of their money on the construction of four stands at the Excelsior before tackling the landscaping of the surrounding area which formed the critical part of their being handed over the title deeds to the stadium. Of course without the title deeds Airdrieonians couldn't use the stadium as collateral to obtain the finance they needed to complete the build works. This led to a massive fall out at boardroom level with Peat and others all quitting before the start of the season and only Joey Rowat being left trying to keep the club in existence. Then in February 2000 David Murray applied for a court order attempting to seize some of the clubs assets over an unpaid bill of just £20,000 with the outcome being that KPMG were called in and the club was put into administration.

Surely it was no more than artistic licence to claim that St Mirren were relegation favourites at that time, especially since in the latter months of the 1998-9 season Hendrie had transformed the sides results on the park having made the side far harder to beat.

Certainly my memory of that pre-season was that I viewed it with a great deal of optimism especially when the papers started to report that Barry Lavety was going to be returning to the club.

I've often seen that repeated Shull but I don't remember that ever being the case. After all there was only one relegation spot that season and Clydebank were in a hell of a mess, deeply in administration and with the team travelling to their home matches at Cappielow in an aged Transit minibus that kept on breaking down. And along side them were Airdrieonians who in 1999 had discovered that their directors had made an almighty f**k up in spending all of their money on the construction of four stands at the Excelsior before tackling the landscaping of the surrounding area which formed the critical part of their being handed over the title deeds to the stadium. Of course without the title deeds Airdrieonians couldn't use the stadium as collateral to obtain the finance they needed to complete the build works. This led to a massive fall out at boardroom level with Peat and others all quitting before the start of the season and only Joey Rowat being left trying to keep the club in existence. Then in February 2000 David Murray applied for a court order attempting to seize some of the clubs assets over an unpaid bill of just £20,000 with the outcome being that KPMG were called in and the club was put into administration.

Surely it was no more than artistic licence to claim that St Mirren were relegation favourites at that time, especially since in the latter months of the 1998-9 season Hendrie had transformed the sides results on the park having made the side far harder to beat.

Certainly my memory of that pre-season was that I viewed it with a great deal of optimism especially when the papers started to report that Barry Lavety was going to be returning to the club.

If it was only artistic licence, then it would be the first time that Bookies have been accused of being artists, for - if I remember correctly - it was they who posted odds indicating the precarious nature of St Mirren's perch in that lower division.

I've often seen that repeated Shull but I don't remember that ever being the case. After all there was only one relegation spot that season

No there wasnt, there were two teams relegated.

As far as I recall, in the days before Internet gambling, bookies didn't offer nearly as many betting books for lower leagues. I can't recall a relegation book in the first, what I do remember though is a winners book and aside from Clydebank who were about 80/1, we were the rank outsiders at 28s.

Using that logic - and it's safe to do so if you look at most title winner and relegation books, they more or less flip the odds - the bookies would have us as favourites to be in that second relegation slot at the end of that season.

Bear in mind, we never signed Basher until after the opening 1-1 draw with Ayr.

99/2000 was a rare case of the bookies getting it wrong. We were 20/1 to win the league, as mentioned above only Clydebank had longer odds. However, anyone who had seen the improvement in the team under Hendrie knew we would have a decent chance that season and indeed many Buddies took the bookies up on their very generous offer!

This season: no idea. We certainly need some more players to come in this week.