The Alex Rae And David Farrell Appreciation Thread

shull

Only a fool would take up a job in a country that suffers radical Islamic extremists. Egypt is a powder keg waiting to kick off so very surprised to read MacLeish taking up a position there he is clearly naïve to the situation.

More like he's been offered mega bucks.

Rae said he'd been offered jobs as a number two but wanted to be his own man again. Can't see him abandoning that a few months in.

He's made a good start with us. We had 12 points from 16 games under Murray. We now have 27 points after 24 so Rae has added 15 points in eight games.

You can point to the quality of opposition as the five wins have been against Alloa (twice), Morton, Dumbarton and Queen of the South, however his predecessor only managed one win and three draws against the same opponents.

Rae said he'd been offered jobs as a number two but wanted to be his own man again. Can't see him abandoning that a few months in.

He's made a good start with us. We had 12 points from 16 games under Murray. We now have 27 points after 24 so Rae has added 15 points in eight games.

You can point to the quality of opposition as the five wins have been against Alloa (twice), Morton, Dumbarton and Queen of the South, however his predecessor only managed one win and three draws against the same opponents.

Of the 8 league games we've had under Rae, only 6 had exactly corresponding fixtures under Murray (we didn't play QOS at home or Alloa away under Murray):

Alloa (H), Murray D, Rae W

Livvy (H), Murray D, Rae L

QOS (A), Murray W, Rae L

Morton (A), Murray D, Rae W

Dumbarton (H) Murray L, Rae W

Hibs (A) Murray D, Rae L

Murray 7 pts (1 win, 1 defeat)

Rae 9 pts (3 wins, 3 defeats) - we don't do draws with Rae in charge.

It's better.......but not by that much.

Having said that, I've no doubt that we are much better organised now, under Rae, and we are almost certainly safe from relegation. I'm not confident we would be with Murray still in charge.

Of the 8 league games we've had under Rae, only 6 had exactly corresponding fixtures under Murray (we didn't play QOS at home or Alloa away under Murray):

Alloa (H), Murray D, Rae W

Livvy (H), Murray D, Rae L

QOS (A), Murray W, Rae L

Morton (A), Murray D, Rae W

Dumbarton (H) Murray L, Rae W

Hibs (A) Murray D, Rae L

Murray 7 pts (1 win, 1 defeat)

Rae 9 pts (3 wins, 3 defeats) - we don't do draws with Rae in charge.

It's better.......but not by that much.

Having said that, I've no doubt that we are much better organised now, under Rae, and we are almost certainly safe from relegation. I'm not confident we would be with Murray still in charge.

So the 2 non corresponding fixtures and the extra 6 points we now have don't count ? ? ? The other 8 games Murray was in charge also only brought 5 other points.

As we can all see from the league tables - instead of only 12 points under Murray's 16 games, we now have 27 - yes 15 points more from only 8 games more (or 5 wins and 3 defeats). Glad you acknowledge that our league position is now not so precarious and the team are looking at least a bit better organised.

Tell me what fan thinks there is not a significant improvement under Rae, and in such a short period?

Reminds me that there are "lies, damn lies and statistics" we need to be careful about being selective ? ?

OK we cannot touch the top 2 and Falkirk are likely to be better also - but pre Rae nearly everybody could beat us and in the main did (or at the very least took 2 points off us - case in point being Alloa) !!!

Falkirk and Raith Rovers to come - I think we will pick up points - but let's see!

Reminds me that there are "lies, damn lies and statistics" we need to be careful about being selective ? ?

Agreed. That's the reason I stuck to games where the major variable was the manager is charge. Not the team we played against or where we played them.

Agreed. That's the reason I stuck to games where the major variable was the manager is charge. Not the team we played against or where we played them.

It is not a realistic comparison then - since your major variable is only the manager and there were different players in the so called comparative matches (on each side?) - I reiterate - all the matches in the league count and Murray was manager against all the sides in the league - Rae still has 3 teams to play against (yet he has managed 5 wins in half the number of matches Murray had). Murray's teams managed 2 wins having played all the teams nearly twice (less 2 games)!

Perhaps you should argue that Murray had less decent players at his disposal - the ones Rae signed?

It is not pretty - but under Murray it was hopeless and points were sparse - and we were definitely in the relegation mix.

Even if we lost the next 3 games, it is unlikely we will be back down there under AR - the difference is chalk and cheese!

It is still early days and the next transfer window will be huge - my only worry will be if the Board wont back further significant improvements in the squad by being too tight with the purse strings! (Cause then Rae might walk) But I remain hopeful - something I could not be under Murray the dud !

• 2 weeks later...

We wanted a manager that could take us into the playoffs, almost there. :-(

After a brief spell of belief running through a section of the support that top 4 might be a vague possibility (myself included) it has become quite clear quite quickly that we must do everything possible just to stay in this league.

We are in a real relegation battle again whether we like it or not. It's going to be a close run thing. :-(

Edited by Mr Zo

Just as Saints have had to accept lower end players and rejects from other clubs, the same goes with managers. It would have been too much to expect us to get a top class appointment and sadly that's been all too evident in this latest chap. When Alex Rae was appointed, we were staring relegation in the face, now its merely the play off spot. Its a real mess, not of the managers doing of course, that's the Boards fault but with crowds dwindling and entertainment at a premium (premium prices for certain)the signs are not good. I don't know if his contract is until the end of the season, as long as we stay up, but maybe he will be given the chance to start afresh next season. If so, he will need to improve on a 50% lose ratio.

Rae has done a great job compared to Murray. Next season he will be able to chose his own players and not try and survive on what Murray signed. He got rid of Conlan & McMullan, dropped Carswell, Agnew and Howieson - all Murray signings. And I am sure many more of Murray signings will disappear at the end of the season as well as many other players who will be out of contract. If next season is the same as this (please no!), then we can judge him but he has undoubtedly been an improvement.

Just as Saints have had to accept lower end players and rejects from other clubs, the same goes with managers. It would have been too much to expect us to get a top class appointment and sadly that's been all too evident in this latest chap. When Alex Rae was appointed, we were staring relegation in the face, now its merely the play off spot. Its a real mess, not of the managers doing of course, that's the Boards fault but with crowds dwindling and entertainment at a premium (premium prices for certain)the signs are not good. I don't know if his contract is until the end of the season, as long as we stay up, but maybe he will be given the chance to start afresh next season. If so, he will need to improve on a 50% lose ratio.

Here are the factual league percentages just for YOU

Under Murray

Games in charge 16 Wins 2 (12.5 % win rate) Draws 6 (37.5%) Losses 8 (50%)

Points accrued % 12 from 48 = 25%

Under Rae

Games in Charge 11 Wins 5 (45.5 % win rate) Draws 1 (9%) Losses 5 (45.5%)

Points accrued % 16 from 33 = 48.5%

Rae's teams have just played the top 4. He is only here 2 months and we are not as good as the top 4, but under Murray anyone could beat us or at least take points from us, and they more or less all did.

With Murrays record if it had continued with the same points gaining percentage we'd be 8 points worse off : We would be on 20 points, i.e. 4 below Livingstone.

Considering what Rae inherited, there is no doubt he has done a really good job so far. We are now about the standard of QOTS rather than worse than Livingstone. It is a significant turn-a-round, but more is needed. All Saints fans will surely be hoping for the team to continue to pick up points and move up a place or 3 in the league; then in the summer clear out and rebuild a far better team. (Of course the Board and budgets will limit the possibilities - things like Langfield here for another year on his wages)

What Rae managed in the transfer window 1 month into the post was far better than most of us expected - Murray should have been away months before that!

There is no comparison between Murray and Rae which puts them in the same league when it comes to ability - Murray was a complete dud!!!

Edited by Sweeper07

Yeah we've had a difficult run of games and we've came up just short. We should have got at least a point at Palmerston, we should have beaten Falkirk at home, we almost got a point at Ibrox and we almost got a point at Starks.

On the other hand, Livi's two wins have came against Alloa and Dumbarton. And Dumbarton have also beaten Alloa and Hibs.

Don't think it's time to panic just yet. Our next 3 games are QOTS, Livi and Alloa. We will stay up just fine, and then Rae can start the clear out.

Yeah we've had a difficult run of games and we've came up just short. We should have got at least a point at Palmerston, we should have beaten Falkirk at home, we almost got a point at Ibrox and we almost got a point at Starks.

On the other hand, Livi's two wins have came against Alloa and Dumbarton. And Dumbarton have also beaten Alloa and Hibs.

Don't think it's time to panic just yet. Our next 3 games are QOTS, Livi and Alloa. We will stay up just fine, and then Rae can start the clear out.

Correct don't panic!!!!

There is no doubt Rae was dealt a poor hand and has brought in a few reasonable signings. However as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on him. We have slightly improved, I am hopeful that we will pull away from the playoffs soon but it certainly cannot be dismissed.