Quick Quid

I am sure I read a year or so ago that there was something being put in place to ensure interest rates from these 'loan sharks - because that is exactly what they are' would be capped? I sem to recall 49% being mooted. Clearly nothing has happened and these companies continue to prey on some if the most vulnerable people in society.

In practice you only pay these ridiculous amounts if you keep deferring re-payment, not that I'm condoning them of course. I borrowed £100 off Wonga for a week a few years ago and paid back about £110.

Exactly. If you borrowed 20 quid off your mate then paid him back at the end of the month and bought him a pint for £2.50 as a thank you the APR would thousands of percent.

It's not really a relevant figure for short term loans. Still though, wouldn't go near them with a barge pole.

Exactly. If you borrowed 20 quid off your mate then paid him back at the end of the month and bought him a pint for £2.50 as a thank you the APR would thousands of percent.

It's not really a relevant figure for short term loans. Still though, wouldn't go near them with a barge pole.

You have mates?1eye.gif

Agreed, however at least half of the responsibility has to fall on the shoulders of those stupid enough to go there for a loan in the first place.

To be fair in this instance I would steer clear of the word stupid.

There is no doubt that we have desperate people out there.

A huge portion of them IMO need to sort themselves out and recently I've changed my opinions on a lot of this "poverty" stuff because IMO much of it is self inflicted. I'm a strong believer in people taking personal responsibility.

In that sense I agree to an extent that the blame is 50-50.

However, a large number of the rest are very vulnerable and these companies prey on that.

Their business model is predicated on people NOT being able to pay back in time and in full.

It's the same with credit card companies.

Either way, here's my problem.....somebody runs into financial trouble for whatever reason.

I'm not talking about the guys in the thread above who have used the service as a genuine short term thing and sorted themselves out.

I'm talking about the sort of person who is genuinely unable to control their spending urges or is unable to set themselves a budget and stick to it.

Other than burning these people at the stake we have to simply accept that we'll have people like this.

Under those circumstances, it is morally unethical for anyone to flash money at them using expensive marketing and in a style that pretends that having to borrow from this source is somehow part of normal everyday life. It isn't. If you are in that situation then you are in trouble. We don't need an economy bnased on manipulation and exploitation of the weak.

To be fair in this instance I would steer clear of the word stupid.

There is no doubt that we have desperate people out there.

A huge portion of them IMO need to sort themselves out and recently I've changed my opinions on a lot of this "poverty" stuff because IMO much of it is self inflicted. I'm a strong believer in people taking personal responsibility.

In that sense I agree to an extent that the blame is 50-50.

However, a large number of the rest are very vulnerable and these companies prey on that.

Their business model is predicated on people NOT being able to pay back in time and in full.

It's the same with credit card companies.

Either way, here's my problem.....somebody runs into financial trouble for whatever reason.

I'm not talking about the guys in the thread above who have used the service as a genuine short term thing and sorted themselves out.

I'm talking about the sort of person who is genuinely unable to control their spending urges or is unable to set themselves a budget and stick to it.

Other than burning these people at the stake we have to simply accept that we'll have people like this.

Under those circumstances, it is morally unethical for anyone to flash money at them using expensive marketing and in a style that pretends that having to borrow from this source is somehow part of normal everyday life. It isn't. If you are in that situation then you are in trouble. We don't need an economy bnased on manipulation and exploitation of the weak.

Nah, I'd still use the word stupid. It's true that companies like this one are advertising quick and easy money but they wouldn't be in business at all if people simply learned to manage their money from the off.