Scottish Election 2016

shull

The SNP are defined by their hatred of the English rather than their own policies.

The SNP are a collection of people from the right, from the centre, from the left.

Their "policies" at the moment are all geared towards keeping the middle classes on board.

Their "policies" at the moment are based on using money that should be used in the NHS to give away middle class bribes such as council tax freezes, free prescription charges, no tuition fees, abolishing bridge folks, etc.

All are policies that are so right wing that not even the Tories in England would implement them.

The SNP are nothing more than the Scottish equivalent of UKIP. The Scottish equivalent of a Donald Trump Republican party.

You fat lecturer!

I like this forum, it does show the total split in opinion in one little bubble. We might all share the pain supporting a team as consistent as this topic, and love the passion and the way some try to floor it. Opinionated or what.

As per above- I vote SNP for one reason- The reason they exist to get Scotland Independent. Its been going on for about 800/900 years, so I am sure a few wee elections will not sort the split. that is being Scottish.

SNP are not meant to hold government its not their remit. Win Indy then hand over reigns to whoever- Tories or Lab?

That's it. They are not corrupt, they have made big mistakes- Lockerbie, Farmers, NHS to name 3.

But they are a means to an end.

In short if the Tories became the Scottish Unionist Party, uniting Scotland I would vote for them.

Just to noise up some tossers on here. Thatcher was a cow. Sorry if that upsets you

The SNP are defined by their hatred of the English rather than their own policies.

The SNP are a collection of people from the right, from the centre, from the left.

Their "policies" at the moment are all geared towards keeping the middle classes on board.

Their "policies" at the moment are based on using money that should be used in the NHS to give away middle class bribes such as council tax freezes, free prescription charges, no tuition fees, abolishing bridge folks, etc.

All are policies that are so right wing that not even the Tories in England would implement them.

The SNP are nothing more than the Scottish equivalent of UKIP. The Scottish equivalent of a Donald Trump Republican party.

You fat lecturer!

The SNP abolished "bridge folks"???

Shame on them.

You fat lecturer!

Scotland has a middle class of over 1 million people and that's just those eligible to vote and from a turnout of 55% of said voters. Wow ???? you would never guess if taking a stroll up the average Scottish high street ! The SNP are winning votes across all demographics and the accurate term for the policies you describe as middle class is populist. The only hatred I ever seem to come across in Scottish politics all comes from labour and Tory voters. The bitterness seems to stem from the assumption that we as Scots are all thick and have somehow been "duped" into voting SNP. It's that elitist attitude that finished Labour and the the Tories in Scotland and will continue to do so.

I like this forum, it does show the total split in opinion in one little bubble. We might all share the pain supporting a team as consistent as this topic, and love the passion and the way some try to floor it. Opinionated or what.

As per above- I vote SNP for one reason- The reason they exist to get Scotland Independent. Its been going on for about 800/900 years, so I am sure a few wee elections will not sort the split. that is being Scottish.

SNP are not meant to hold government its not their remit. Win Indy then hand over reigns to whoever- Tories or Lab?

That's it. They are not corrupt, they have made big mistakes- Lockerbie, Farmers, NHS to name 3.

But they are a means to an end.

In short if the Tories became the Scottish Unionist Party, uniting Scotland I would vote for them.

Just to noise up some tossers on here. Thatcher was a cow. Sorry if that upsets you

Scotland has a middle class of over 1 million people and that's just those eligible to vote and from a turnout of 55% of said voters. Wow you would never guess if taking a stroll up the average Scottish high street ! The SNP are winning votes across all demographics and the accurate term for the policies you describe as middle class is populist. The only hatred I ever seem to come across in Scottish politics all comes from labour and Tory voters. The bitterness seems to stem from the assumption that we as Scots are all thick and have somehow been "duped" into voting SNP. It's that elitist attitude that finished Labour and the the Tories in Scotland and will continue to do so.

Well there is certainly evidence that Doug here has been duped.

I grew up believing as he did. That the SNP politicians were there to win a majority vote in Scotland and then resign en-mass with their case for Independence proven. Instead what has happened is those SNP politicians who took office have enjoyed the luxurious life that comes with a far higher salary than their abilities would have ever have got them in regular jobs, and where they've got the added bonus of massive levels of expenses, the opportunity to hire their spouse and their children at the taxpayers expense, and where they can try and claim hotel expenses of £250 per night when they are out getting all creepy and rapey with teenagers they've plied with drink.

SNP politicians are going nowhere fast. They certainly aren't about to resign en mass. They don't even want Independence. :rolleyes:

Poor, silly, duped Natsis.

You fat lecturer!

As ever The Cap'n is more astute than many of his detractors even if he does spoil it a bit by going OTT in his penultimate sentence.

Essentially we're entering the end game here - in the new parliament the two major parties are defined most clearly by their attitude to independence and I'd imagine most of the First Minister's Question Times will be defined by disputes over whether the issue of the day would be better addressed either within or without the UK.

As a Nationalist devolution was never anything more than a stepping stone, Labour claims that it would kill us as a party have turned out to be completely wrong (who's sorry now?) - I look forward to the cultural and political differences between ourselves and the Englsh becoming ever clearer and eventually the fault line becoming too big to straddle within the UK.

As ever The Cap'n is more astute than many of his detractors even if he does spoil it a bit by going OTT in his penultimate sentence.

Essentially we're entering the end game here - in the new parliament the two major parties are defined most clearly by their attitude to independence and I'd imagine most of the First Minister's Question Times will be defined by disputes over whether the issue of the day would be better addressed either within or without the UK.

As a Nationalist devolution was never anything more than a stepping stone, Labour claims that it would kill us as a party have turned out to be completely wrong (who's sorry now?) - I look forward to the cultural and political differences between ourselves and the Englsh becoming ever clearer and eventually the fault line becoming too big to straddle within the UK.

It ended on sept 14th 2014.

You supported a false prospectus which was rejected by over two million Scottish voters.

The SNP have a bloc seethe which has carried them in the general election and the subsequent Scottish one. But interest is waning and people know that what they proposed was a lie.

Sadly for the nationalist cause they have yet to sit down and look at why they failed. Until they do that and until they can come up with anything credible then none of us in here will ever be subjected to another independence referendum.

One thing is for certain. The present SNP leadership have absolutely no intention of holding another and 2011-2016 was the last majority government we will ever see at Holyrood anyway.This will be a difficult parliament for Sturgeon and co. Its started badly already, but policy matters will be tough. They WILL piss off sections of their own support from now on. Enthusiasm will wane. Maximum nat was 2015 and that was down to the bloc seethe at the referendum result. They'll never be near that level of support again. They've already shipped about 400,000 voters in 12 months and lost their majority at Holyrood.

You supported a false prospectus which was rejected by over two million Scottish voters.

The SNP have a bloc seethe which has carried them in the general election and the subsequent Scottish one. But interest is waning and people know that what they proposed was a lie.

Sadly for the nationalist cause they have yet to sit down and look at why they failed. Until they do that and until they can come up with anything credible then none of us in here will ever be subjected to another independence referendum.

One thing is for certain. The present SNP leadership have absolutely no intention of holding another and 2011-2016 was the last majority government we will ever see at Holyrood anyway.This will be a difficult parliament for Sturgeon and co. Its started badly already, but policy matters will be tough. They WILL piss off sections of their own support from now on. Enthusiasm will wane. Maximum nat was 2015 and that was down to the bloc seethe at the referendum result. They'll never be near that level of support again. They've already shipped about 400,000 voters in 12 months and lost their majority at Holyrood.

It ended when the SNP vote collapsed in the '79 election, it ended again when we were granted devolution in '99 (as I mentioned in my previous post) and yet here we are with the SNP the largest party going into our third term in government at Holyrood.

Despite positioning themselves as "The Party of The Union" the Tories got half the votes we did, we obviously disagree on this and you might even turn out to be right but as a Nationalist I was far from disheartened by the May election result - the Constitution is top of the agenda and I believe that can only help us.

Fukiyama was wrong, you are wrong, history is not dead, it never is dead and if the people of Scotland choose to align themselves with the old Etonian dominated Conservative party of Cameron, Osbourne and Johnson then so be it, I'll have to live with my disappointment but I, for one, will never give up the struggle.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Well thats bollox.

The SNP have increased their vote from 2011 in both constituency and regional votes.

Comparing Holyrood to the GE result is just stupid.

You could equally say that the combined unionist vote has virtually halved since 2014.

Never mind 400,000 votes, thats almost one MILLION votes down.

Does that mean the union has died?

Two can play at this game.

The SNP are still as popular as ever. It could be decades before a Unionist party fathoms out how to be the biggest party again,. You are in denial.

Edited by oaksoft

Well thats bollox.

The SNP have increased their vote from 2011 in both constituency and regional votes.

You could equally say that the combined unionist vote has virtually halved since 2014.

The SNP are still as popular as ever. It could be decades before a Unionist party fathoms out how to be the biggest party again,. You are in denial.

Not stupid at all. They got a massive bloc vote and an increase in membership in the immedite aftermath of their terrible disappointment. So its absolutely relevant.

Delivering another majority for the half wit bloc vote is the only way to get another referendum through. as 400,000 deserted them a mere 12 months later and they lost their majority then you can see what happened.

Beign the biggest party at Holyrood is largely irrelevant as only being a majority will ever get you in a position of having another referendum. And thats never going to happen again.

Its all over. You should listen to me. I have been f**king immaculate right the way through this entire debacle. <_<

Why all the banging on about another referendum? The SNP have such a vote share in Scotland it's impossible to see either a broken Labour or a Tory party currently on a crest of a wave in Scotland but still miles behind ever challenging to govern for a long, long time. As you say Sturgeon neither needs or is desperately wanting another referendum but that will not stop the party being electable for a long time to come. Labour will take years to recover and in Scottish terms this election is the Tories panacea. The SNP will be the majority party here for a long time to come. Policies like reintroduction of prescription charges and uni fees are never going to see opposition gaining ground they need radical rethinks and ideas. At the moment the only tactics from Lab / Tory seems to be sit back and wait for the long awaited fracture within the SNP but it's going to take generations given the current position of strength.

Not stupid at all. They got a massive bloc vote and an increase in membership in the immedite aftermath of their terrible disappointment. So its absolutely relevant.

Delivering another majority for the half wit bloc vote is the only way to get another referendum through. as 400,000 deserted them a mere 12 months later and they lost their majority then you can see what happened.

Beign the biggest party at Holyrood is largely irrelevant as only being a majority will ever get you in a position of having another referendum. And thats never going to happen again.

Its all over. You should listen to me. I have been f**king immaculate right the way through this entire debacle. <_<

Bud you may be good for a laugh but really you are waaaaay too arrogant for someone who is not in a position of power.

Well thats bollox.

Maybe so, but he also idolises a man who was a known paedophile . .that is who you are responding to oaky. .

Maybe so, but he also idolises a man who was a known paedophile . .that is who you are responding to oaky. .

Yeah I am not sure that is true. There were allegations made but nothing I have read confirms he was doing this.

Mind you, idolising anyone is embarassing.

Yeah I am not sure that is true. There were allegations made but nothing I have read confirms he was doing this.

Mind you, idolising anyone is embarassing.

I don't know if you have ever read this one , oaky but I believe that this was the initial source of the allegation - Barbara Castle. .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2697947/Chilling-day-Special-Branch-swooped-seize-ANOTHER-dossier-VIP-abusers-16-MPs-names-mentioned-1984-report-paedophile-lobby-s-influence-Westminster.html

Edited by saintnextlifetime