Raith v Saints Sat 13th Aug.

1 minute ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Not good enough!! Hibs next week, so could easily be 1 point from 9, The BOD need to give Rae money for 1 more player to get a holding midfielder. If that doesn't work we may be looking for yet another manager.

The BOD gave him his budget he spent it, he needs to deliver.

Just now, proudtobeabuddy said:

I accept that but we can all see what the problem is and what position we need to fill. I don't want our season to be over by October, Rae needs a big result next week!

The point I'm making is the manager picks the team, if the BOD need to tell the manager you need to buy a midfield player then I'm afraid we have the wrong manager. He had a tremendous midfield player whom he decided to let go to Alloa. 

1 minute ago, Kendo said:

The point I'm making is the manager picks the team, if the BOD need to tell the manager you need to buy a midfield player then I'm afraid we have the wrong manager. He had a tremendous midfield player whom he decided to let go to Alloa. 

Yeah i know he picks the team and perhaps he sees the injured Rocco Quinn as the player to play in that position. It's worrying that on paper we have a really good squad IMO and so far they are not performing.

2 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Yeah i know he picks the team and perhaps he sees the injured Rocco Quinn as the player to play in that position. It's worrying that on paper we have a really good squad IMO and so far they are not performing.

If we really have a good squad who are not performing then it's clear where the problem lies.

Not many surprises about how we are set up and our style of play and limitations this season. Performances under Rae weren't any easier on the eye than under Murray. Results were ten times better. Rae has stuck with the bulk of last season's squad and got rid of a lot of obvious under-performers and also moved on Jim Goodwin and Sean Kelly which he may end up regretting. I'm still happy that up front Sutton, Clarkson, Shankland and Hardie are capable of scoring enough goals for us to be in contention for the top 4 come the end of the season. Can't comment on MacKenzie or Gordon in defence. My only disappointment in this year's transfer window dealings is not addressing some of our main midfield problems. 

Its too early in the season to be saying Rae has 4 games left to turn things around.

A lot of our points under Rae last season came at home or from seeing out narrow wins in awful games against Alloa, Livi, Dumbarton etc. This year I don't think we will have as many weak sides, and also think it will be a narrower gap at the top of the table as well. I still have faith that Rae will do OK at seeing we are competitive and hard to beat this year, but fully expect very little quality, free flowing football this season unless we sort out the midfield and get full backs charging forward down the flanks with Morgan and Walsh.

At least part of the backlash against Rae seems to be from fans who exuberantly declared Rae was going to fix all our problems in 1 transfer window and all our new signings would all fit in and improve the team. Lost count of the number of people predicting a Tom Hendrie 1999/2000 like season where we routinely thumped teams every second week, and yet last year we were 20 points behind the play off places.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Just now, Kendo said:

If we really have a good squad who are not performing then it's clear where the problem lies.

That's why next week's game is massive for Rae, lose at home and we're potentially already 8 points off the top after only 3 games. Constantly changing managers is not good for stability but he needs to get the players to step up asap.

5 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Not many surprises about how we are set up and our style of play and limitations this season. Performances under Rae weren't any easier on the eye than under Murray. Results were ten times better. Rae has stuck with the bulk of last season's squad and got rid of a lot of obvious under-performers and also moved on Jim Goodwin and Sean Kelly which he may end up regretting. I'm still happy that up front Sutton, Clarkson, Shankland and Hardie are capable of scoring enough goals for us to be in contention for the top 4 come the end of the season. Can't comment on MacKenzie or Gordon in defence. My only disappointment in this year's transfer window dealings is not addressing some of our main midfield problems. 

Its too early in the season to be saying Rae has 4 games left to turn things around.

A lot of our points under Rae last season came at home or from seeing out narrow wins in awful games against Alloa, Livi, Dumbarton etc. This year I don't think we will have as many weak sides, and also think it will be a narrower gap at the top of the table as well. I still have faith that Rae will do OK at seeing we are competitive and hard to beat this year, but fully expect very little quality, free flowing football this season unless we sort out the midfield and get full backs charging forward down the flanks with Morgan and Walsh.

At least part of the backlash against Rae seems to be from fans who exuberantly declared Rae was going to fix all our problems in 1 transfer window and all our new signings would all fit in and improve the team. Lost count of the number of people predicting a Tom Hendrie 1999/2000 like season where we routinely thumped teams every second week, and yet last year we were 20 points behind the play off places.

We can only judge what we see in front of us and so far it's not promising. As you said, early doors and not time for ridiculous knee jerk decisions but we must see improvement next week or the inevitable backlash will begin.

Just now, proudtobeabuddy said:

We can only judge what we see in front of us and so far it's not promising. As you said, early doors and not time for ridiculous knee jerk decisions but we must see improvement next week or the inevitable backlash will begin.

The backlash began when Hamilton beat us easily 3-0 in the league cup and continued as we drew with Morton... not forgetting Shull's ,meltdown about the Edinburgh City game either!

We are going to have a more dog-eat-dog Championship than usual this season. Dundee United have the same points as us after 2 games, and they appointed one of the most effective managers in last season's Championship.

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The backlash began when Hamilton beat us easily 3-0 in the league cup and continued as we drew with Morton... not forgetting Shull's ,meltdown about the Edinburgh City game either!

We are going to have a more dog-eat-dog Championship than usual this season. Dundee United have the same points as us after 2 games, and they appointed one of the most effective managers in last season's Championship.

I think that many hoped that a good a good pre season under a self confessed fitness fanatic in Rae would see us flying out the blocks. The quality of player we brought in gave us hope that we could mount a challenge but the early signs are not good, time for that to change hopefully.

4 minutes ago, munoz said:

Were you at the game ? 

I rarely go to away games. Last week and against Ayr United I saw a midfield that was almost incapable of passing to each other and a defence  which lumped hospital balls to both or midfield and our strikers for most of the matches until we had some brighter play in the last 20 minutes of both games.

I'll stick my neck out and say I reckon Rae would hope to field one of Gordon or MacKenzie at the back most weeks, as well as Quinn in midfield and may rate 2 or 3 of our injured players as key players. I think we should wait until they are match fit and we've played everyone at least once before seriously shouting "Taxi for Rae".

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I rarely go to away games. Last week and against Ayr United I saw a midfield that was almost incapable of passing to each other and a defence  which lumped hospital balls to both or midfield and our strikers for most of the matches until we had some brighter play in the last 20 minutes of both games.

I'll stick my neck out and say I reckon Rae would hope to field one of Gordon or MacKenzie at the back most weeks, as well as Quinn in midfield and may rate 2 or 3 of our injured players as key players. I think we should wait until they are match fit and we've played everyone at least once before seriously shouting "Taxi for Rae".

Well , I'll excuse your comments then . Like a lot on here , your blinkered . Rae is a dinosaur , with tactics to back up his performances . Try going along more often if you can . 

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Well , I'll excuse your comments then . Like a lot on here , your blinkered . Rae is a dinosaur , with tactics to back up his performances . Try going along more often if you can . 

You just said we should sack the manager who is dinosaur with no tactics and no shape... but reckon we should pack out St Mirren Park to watch a hopeless team.

Were you one of the roasters nearly having a fight in the main stand last week?

My expectations for the season are we'll get more points than last season and be in and around the play off places instead of 20 points behind 4th place and if that transpires then we will have improved in our first full season under Rae, and I would expect him to try and address some of the remaining weaknesses in the squad over the next 2 transfer windows whilst appreciating we can't compete with SPL teams for quality midfielders or even a few of the bigger teams in the Championship. 

Last year's gap between ourselves and Raith Rovers was 20 points, and the gap between us and Hibs and Falkirk was 28 points. Worth bearing in mind 2 games into the league season.

Who would you appoint, that we can afford, to replace Alex "Not Good Enough For St Mirren" Rae?